to eat before or after

Options
I am up at 5:30 Monday thru Friday and have access to a treadmill at home. I do go to the gym after work one day a week and on Saturdays to go to Zumba classes. My question is I am planning on working out in the am since I am already up. Do you eat before the workout and if so what kinds of food is your choice? Ususally not a big breakfast person, so if I do eat its a banana or low fat muffin. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

Replies

• aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    skip the muffin, no real nutrients there nor is it going to fill you up. Eat the banana before your workout and eat something else after (oatmeal, greek yogurt, etc)
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Whatever you like best\makes you feel best.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^ This exactly. Make sure personal preference/performance needs are being met with your diet provided that your end of day nutritional needs are being met.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I routinely run at 5:00 AM. I don't eat before I go.

There is no right answer. Just a matter of personal preference.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

^ This exactly. Make sure personal preference/performance needs are being met with your diet provided that your end of day nutritional needs are being met.

yep
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 0400 and am at the gym by and on the tread by 0430. I just drink a pre-training drink (it's about 70 calories) because I simply am not hungry yet. If I wake up hungry, I'm going to bed on an empty stomach and that means my repair work is struggling. So, that being said:

0400 Pre training drink 70 calories
    then within 30 minutes of finishing workout I either eat a protein bar or make a yummy protein shake.

Then "Breakfast" is at 0800-0900. Usually consists of some combo of greek yogurt, fruit, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, etc.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

/thread
  • darthjen
    darthjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What works for me is a banana 15-20 minutes before and whey protein powder+almond milk+spinach or kale+fruit after.
  • Frostygirl2790
    Frostygirl2790 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, and I plan to set my goal to at least one morning routine during the week to see if I prefer morning or PM workouts, along with my 2 zumba classes a week. I just keep thinking one step at a time and I can do this. :smile: