Fruits lower in carb sugars?

Options
I try and eat fruit but find my carb sugars are always running over the goal target. Anyone with some suggestions?

Replies

• DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Most common fruits are too high in sugar content so i just don't them anymore unless maybe a banana before a workout or something.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Unless you've got a specific reason to keep sugar content low, I'd just make sure your macros are set up reasonably, stay within them, and not really worry about it.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Unless you've got a specific reason to keep sugar content low, I'd just make sure your macros are set up reasonably, stay within them, and not really worry about it.
    :flowerforyou:
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Berries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Yup...manage your macros, not your micros. That said, I do limit myself to 2 servings of fruit per day...usually more like 1.5 and try to get 4 servings of veg. When I started watching my macros at 40/30/30, It all just kind of fell out that way.
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Mfp is great but it isn't god or the answer to the meaning of life
    I would say eat plenty fresh fruit regardless and cut out all sugar and processed
    Foods!
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    Fruit is good for you. Forget about the sugar. I eat apples, oranges and blueberries everyday.
  • Bracciano
    Bracciano Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Well said. Sugars in fruits differ greatly than sugars that are refined. Reading on Livestrong.com "
    An excess consumption of sugar can cause weight gain and high blood sugar levels. However, depending on whether the foods you eat contain sucrose, fructose or glucose, the impact on your health may differ. When eating sucrose, your enzymes quickly separate the fructose and glucose from which it is made. The bond among the molecules of glucose in starches is also quickly broken to obtain free glucose. The glucose that either comes from free glucose, sucrose or starches contributes to elevating your blood sugar levels. Fructose, on the other hand, whether it comes from free fructose or sucrose, does not raise your blood sugar levels and is rather sent directly to your liver where it is metabolized. Although fructose does not elevate your blood sugar levels, excess fructose is associated with high triglycerides, according to Dr. Robert H. Lustig, Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology of the University of California, San Francisco.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/499857-what-is-the-difference-between-sucrose-glucose-fructose/#ixzz2IXM2nKSo
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I try and eat fruit but find my carb sugars are always running over the goal target. Anyone with some suggestions?

You don't have to eat fruit, you can just eat vegetables. Otherwise choose low sugar fruits like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, red and black currants, grapefruit, rhubarb, pumpkin and moderate your servings. Here in the UK a serving is 80g, bananas and apples work out to be one and a half to two servings and are pretty high in sugar.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to bash you, because I assume there's a reason you're keeping your carbs low. I have insulin resistance, so I have to be really careful about how much sugar/carbs I ingest, even if they're from fruit and dairy.

Here is a helpful link:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/glycemicindlist_3.htm
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Fruits Lowest in Sugar:

Small Amounts of Lemon or Lime
    Rhubarb
    Raspberries
    Blackberries
    Cranberries

Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar:

Strawberries
    Casaba Melon
    Papaya
    Watermelon
    Peaches
    Nectarines
    Blueberries
    Cantaloupes
    Honeydew melons
    Apples
    Guavas -- Pineapple Guavas (Feijoa) and Strawberry Guavas are probably similar, but information that directly compares them is not available
    Apricots
    Grapefruit

Fruits Fairly High in Sugar:

Plums
    Oranges
    Kiwi
    Pears
    Pineapple

Fruits Very High in Sugar:

Tangerines
    Cherries
    Grapes
    Pomegranates
    Mangos
    Figs
    Bananas
    Dried Fruit, such as dates, raisins, dried apricots, and prunes
  • PaulineKK
    Options
    @cubbies...thanks for that list
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Fruits Lowest in Sugar:

Small Amounts of Lemon or Lime
    Rhubarb
    Raspberries
    Blackberries
    Cranberries

Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar:

Strawberries
    Casaba Melon
    Papaya
    Watermelon
    Peaches
    Nectarines
    Blueberries
    Cantaloupes
    Honeydew melons
    Apples
    Guavas -- Pineapple Guavas (Feijoa) and Strawberry Guavas are probably similar, but information that directly compares them is not available
    Apricots
    Grapefruit

Fruits Fairly High in Sugar:

Plums
    Oranges
    Kiwi
    Pears
    Pineapple

Fruits Very High in Sugar:

Tangerines
    Cherries
    Grapes
    Pomegranates
    Mangos
    Figs
    Bananas
    Dried Fruit, such as dates, raisins, dried apricots, and prunes

How is this being measured? According to a UK supermarket website fresh pineapple and pears is 10g carbs per 100g, nectarine and plums are 9g, large orange 8.5g, Jaffa tangerine 8g per 100g. Too many of these charts don't compare like with like they take a large fruit and compare it to a small fruit, or a lightweight fruit compared to a denser fruit instead of fairly.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

How is this being measured? According to a UK supermarket website fresh pineapple and pears is 10g carbs per 100g, nectarine and plums are 9g, large orange 8.5g, Jaffa tangerine 8g per 100g. Too many of these charts don't compare like with like they take a large fruit and compare it to a small fruit, or a lightweight fruit compared to a denser fruit instead of fairly.

I didn't pay attention to the list but if this is true that's pretty hilarious.

"One blueberry has less sugar than a pineapple".

LOL
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

This. Sugar isn't inherently bad for you. Fruits are amazing. Eat them! Enjoy them and stay in your macros.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I didn't pay attention to the list but if this is true that's pretty hilarious.

"One blueberry has less sugar than a pineapple".

LOL

:laugh: