What is quinoa?

Options
What is quinoa? What are some good recipes? Where can I buy it? How expensive is it? Is it actually good for you or low-cal?

I'd really like to know a little bit more about quinoa. Please post your replies! :)

Replies

• Bracciano
    Bracciano Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can really buy it anywhere. It's a grain, a "complete protein" because it has all 8 essential ammino acids. Now as far as recipes go, really it's all up to what kind of food you like. I mix mine with black beans, chopped tomatos, cilantro, lime, cumin and red pepper. It's a bit more costly than rice, and it's AWESOME for your.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of it until recently. I see it everywhere now. I hate to seem ignorant but is it a food that has been around but was recently made popular?
  • kwseneca
    Options
    I was never familiar with it. In my family, it is either rice or pasta. There isn't really an in between. I really want to start eating it. That recipe sounds great.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I basically replace all my rice and pasta dishes with quinoa or other healthy grains like lentils and barley now. Its pretty bland so it works in any style of dish from my experience.
  • bassejm0
    bassejm0 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Something I recently learned that may be helpful- it's not pronounced qui-noah. It's pronounced keen-wah. I had no idea and didn't think that was a really intuitive pronunciation.
  • GradLibraryTroll
    Options
    Quinoa is a South American grain that has been popularized recently by health food trends. It is popular among vegans and vegetarians because of its high protein content. It is also *quite* high in carbohydrates, so keep that in mind if you're on a low-carb or keto diet. Here's the link for quinoa's nutrition facts. Happy Eating! http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/10352/2
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    What is quinoa? What are some good recipes? Where can I buy it? How expensive is it? Is it actually good for you or low-cal?

I'd really like to know a little bit more about quinoa. Please post your replies! :)

Quinoa is deliciousness! I had some yesterday as a hot cereal with milk and berries and cinnamon.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I bought a rather large bag of quinoa a few weeks ago and still haven't used it. I have vegetarian chili in mind for supper tonight - I think I'll cook up some quinoa and mix it into the chili. I might not need those chicken thighs after all.
  • bradleybt
    bradleybt Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Quinoa is a carb.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, quinoa is a SEED, not a grain, which is why it has an amazing protein-to-carb ratio, and also why it is totally fine for grain-sensitive people to eat.

http://www.grainfreeliving.com/blog/118-is-quinoa-a-seed-or-a-grain

You can cook it *like* a grain and use it *in place* of grains--like as a hot "cereal", rice pilaf-style, and it's used in some pastas.
  • Kiwi_09
    Kiwi_09 Posts: 65
    Options
    You can use it in baking too... I've made bread with it and I've seen recipes to put it in cookies!
    I've also added it to wraps, you can make it into patties for veggi burgers. It's quite versatile.
  • HuwaydaS
    HuwaydaS Posts: 116
    Options
    Its like a grain, yum
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a seed high in protein and with lots of amino acids that our bodies need. However, the demand for quinoa has caused such a increase in price in the South American countries where it grows, that the local people who have depended on it for nutrition for hundreds if not thousands of years can no longer afford it. Honestly, it is just the new "fad" food. There are lots of other seeds and grains that are healthy for you. Just like oatmeal, a lot of people have difficulty with the texture of quinoa. The flavor itself is bland- you have to dress it up just like with oatmeal. Just stick with oats, that's my advice. Eat a well-balanced diet with as little animal products as possible. Read about The China Study for reference, if you haven't already. Diminish the suffering in the world- every choice you make has an impact somewhere, whether for good or for bad.
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    It's a good substitute for rice or pasta, my wife made mac & cheese with it it was actually pretty good, and a little of it goes a long way, just one cup makes a lot and it's very filling.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It's like tiny little rubber balls and is only edible as a filler in something like meatloaf.
  • AngieSchaible
    AngieSchaible Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic because I have this strange grain but I don't have a clue how to use it lol
  • legalbritt
    Options
    My husband has celiac disease so we've been eating Quinoa for a while now as an alternative to wheat. The pasta is delicious...it most resembles wheat pasta out of all the other alternatives. You can also buy Quinoa flakes which makes a porridge similar in texture and taste to cream of wheat. I actually give that to my baby a lot instead of rice cereal. Then there is Quinoa in it's natural state which is similar in texture to Cous Cous. Really any preparation with cous cous would also work with Quinoa. I will basically just throw anything in it...chick peas, spinach, fetta, tomatoes, etc. I've also done a yummy side with cranberries, toasted almonds, green onions and a garlic dressing
  • jamm2000
    Options
    I have been looking for it recently and have not found it in Publix. I was thinking I'll have to check out a Whole Foods type store.
  • akhilton
    Options

pronounced /Keen-whaa' it's a grain much like cous cous or bulgar wheat. It doesnt have much of a flavour, but it does absorb things that you put with it, so lots of lovely hearbs, spices, vinegar, citrus juices.....it's good for you.
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    Quinoa is a seed high in protein and with lots of amino acids that our bodies need. However, the demand for quinoa has caused such a increase in price in the South American countries where it grows, that the local people who have depended on it for nutrition for hundreds if not thousands of years can no longer afford it. Honestly, it is just the new "fad" food. There are lots of other seeds and grains that are healthy for you. Just like oatmeal, a lot of people have difficulty with the texture of quinoa. The flavor itself is bland- you have to dress it up just like with oatmeal. Just stick with oats, that's my advice. Eat a well-balanced diet with as little animal products as possible. Read about The China Study for reference, if you haven't already. Diminish the suffering in the world- every choice you make has an impact somewhere, whether for good or for bad.

I can see how quinoa is like oats by it self it is a bit bland but the texture isn't much different then oatmeal, and I think you can do a lot more with quinoa, and it's got the protein and amino acids, I prefer quinoa to oats. And how are you going to get a well-balanced diet with very little animal products? What's wrong with animal products?