Yoga?

Options
Has anyone had success with weight loss with yoga? I'm primarily a runner, but have started doing yoga once a week. I know it doesn't burn calories like running does, but I do break a sweat and feel fantastic after I do it.

Replies

• stevenyuzk
    stevenyuzk Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do the p90x yoga. If i stick with it for like 40min, which is almost impossible for me unless i am jacked on caffeine, i lose about 246 calories. not nearly as much as running but more like stretching and endurance i guess.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I do Ashtanga yoga, I do enough of it (around 8 hours a week) that the calorie burn is not insignificant. I don't do any other strength exercises so it helps with building muscles and flexibility and balance is improving tremendously as well. Of course the reason I do it is that I enjoy it. If you like it, continue, if not, find something you do like =)
  • kerriotto
    Options
    I've been doing bikram consistently for about 2 months. I haven't lost any real weight but I have lost 10 inches from my waist, hips and thighs.
  • stevenyuzk
    stevenyuzk Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you like it, continue, if not, find something you do like =)

I actually hate yoga more than cardio because my knees are weak. when I do some of the stances like warrior stance my legs actually tremble lol.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRE2FTtcM0b7zNok7qYUOGoeoSDeW0Xv6FaPwsCzhk0m1ekbIxL
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    If you like it, continue, if not, find something you do like =)

I actually hate yoga more than cardio because my knees are weak. when I do some of the stances like warrior stance my legs actually tremble lol.

I tremble now and again. The nice part is when you start to tremble less and less because you're getting stronger!
  • merollman
    merollman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did enjoy it. Running gets you so coiled up, especially your legs, it felt great to stretch things out. Honestly, I would do whatever my instructor did to look like she does. Long, lean, and strong. 3 words that have never described me :) yet
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I love yoga and practice at least once a week. Whether or not it adds to my weight loss, I don't know.