How much and what type of exercise to stay healthy?

Options
I just want to live a healthy life!
Not run a marathon, triathalon or iron man contest!
I am not curently trying to lose weight
I currently only doing strength training for hr, 3x a week. No cardio.

There seems to be lots of recommendations out there on
a) length of time and
b) type of exercise

Is there a consensus/average/medical guidelines/guestimate for a typical person who just wants to lead a healthy average lifestyle!?
Why that amount and type of exercise? Whats the science/medical background behind it?

Thanks

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I'm in a similar position. Not interested in marathons, triathlons, tough mudder challenges etc. Just want to maintain a level of fitness with a body that reflects it.

But all I can think of at the moment is that to look like an athlete, you have to train like an athlete.

Whenever I say something like "I was training yesterday" when asked what I've been up to, they always ask "training for what". Not sure what a good answer is. I did see one YT video where the guy said he was training for the day when someone might try to harm his loved ones, which is a good response, although I'm not sure how doing a **** load of pull ups will help in that kind of situation. Of course, the answer, "Training for the zombie apocalypse" sounds cool in the right circles but makes you sound like a weirdo in every other circle.

Which is a convoluted way of saying "BUMP".
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Can we define "healthy average lifestyle" before i try to answer?
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I imagine any amount of time exercising and type would be healthy as long as it wasnt excessive...isn't any exercise better than none?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Here is the American College of Sports Medicine's 2011 recommendations:

The basic recommendations – categorized by cardiorespiratory exercise, resistance exercise, flexibility exercise and neuromotor exercise – are as follows:

Cardiorespiratory Exercise
    Adults should get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week.
    Exercise recommendations can be met through 30-60 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise (five days per week) or 20-60 minutes of vigorous-intensity exercise (three days per week).
    One continuous session and multiple shorter sessions (of at least 10 minutes) are both acceptable to accumulate desired amount of daily exercise.
    Gradual progression of exercise time, frequency and intensity is recommended for best adherence and least injury risk.
    People unable to meet these minimums can still benefit from some activity.

Resistance Exercise
    Adults should train each major muscle group two or three days each week using a variety of exercises and equipment.
    Very light or light intensity is best for older persons or previously sedentary adults starting exercise.
    Two to four sets of each exercise will help adults improve strength and power.
    For each exercise, 8-12 repetitions improve strength and power, 10-15 repetitions improve strength in middle-age and older persons starting exercise, and 15-20 repetitions improve muscular endurance.
    Adults should wait at least 48 hours between resistance training sessions.

Flexibility Exercise
    Adults should do flexibility exercises at least two or three days each week to improve range of motion.
    Each stretch should be held for 10-30 seconds to the point of tightness or slight discomfort.
    Repeat each stretch two to four times, accumulating 60 seconds per stretch.
    Static, dynamic, ballistic and PNF stretches are all effective.
    Flexibility exercise is most effective when the muscle is warm. Try light aerobic activity or a hot bath to warm the muscles before stretching.

Neuromotor Exercise
    Neuromotor exercise (sometimes called “functional fitness training”) is recommended for two or three days per week.
    Exercises should involve motor skills (balance, agility, coordination and gait), proprioceptive exercise training and multifaceted activities (tai ji and yoga) to improve physical function and prevent falls in older adults.
    20-30 minutes per day is appropriate for neuromotor exercise.

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2011/07000/Quantity_and_Quality_of_Exercise_for_Developing.26.aspx
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    I'd just do the main "big" lifts like Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Shoulder Press, and Pullups. Those 5 exercises will work every muscle in your body making you stronger and healthier, and do some cardio. I'd say 2-3 sets of 6-15 reps for each exercise 3x a week, workouts should only take 45-60 minutes, and on the days you don't lift do about 10-20 min of cardio. I think that would be good for overall health, not to crazy pretty simple and to the point. Also try to keep your diet pretty good, doesn't have to be perfect just make sure your getting enough calories and the right amount of proteins, carbs, and fats
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Once you have reached your ideal weight, if that was even your goal, I think to maintain status quo 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training 5 days a week is good enough. If your goals change to gain more muscle or lose more fat etc.,you have to adjust accordingly. Most studies essentially elude to this simple conclusion.