Sick

Options
I am sick, do I push and exercise or give it a few days off. I havent exercised in a few days anyway cause I was feeling bad. I feel guilty but can hardly get out of bed.

Replies

• HollV
    HollV Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When you are sick, you should rest and not feel guilty. Time enough to exercise when you are feeling better.
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Anyone??:smile:
  • mlf70
    mlf70 Posts: 16
    Options
    I actually worked out when I caught my last cold and the duration of it was only 4 days instead of the usual 7-10 days. Apparently it helps to boost your immune system by helping to flush out toxins through your sweating. However, if you have the flu, stay in bed.
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    No, rest and get well. The exercise can wait. Your body needs time to heal.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Rest. Any pushing of the body will just result in expending energy your body needs to heal itself. It's a legitimate reason not to workout.
  • kjsupermom01
    Options
    stay in bed...
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I am currently sick and don't feel guilty at all for NOT working out.

I worked out on Wed. felt fantastic, and BAM over night, seriously sick. Fever, flu type stuff.

Rest, your body needs it to heal.
  • kwseneca
    Options
    Rest. Rest. Rest. Stressing your body will leave you sicker for days. Then you will have to get on antibiotics and it will make you even unhealthier! REST is key.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    the above/below the neck rule is quite helpful

sick above the neck, i.e. cold (without a fever), sniffles, maybe a mild cough or a runny nose kind of thing - training is usually okay and some people find it actually helps

sick below the neck, i.e. fever, chest infection, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea - rest and recover properly before training again

This rule usually helps, but if you find that a cold is lingering on when you'd normally have recovered, a few days off training may help, even though it's all above the neck.

Listen to your body, if you can hardly get out of bed then stay in bed!! that's definitely below the neck sick!!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    ^^that makes sense actually.

A ladies gym I used to use in college had a vapours room. Man, that was awesome. If all you had was a very stuffy nose and NO other symptoms, you could sit in there for a few minutes and be completely clear and then work out great. After all, if your body can take in enough Oxygen, you can't work out effectively.
  • Katy_V
    Katy_V Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've just been sick "below the neck" and unable to work out for 3 weeks! I did try a couple times and just felt dreadful the next day. OP, I vote let your body rest, your trainers aren't going to run away from you :wink:
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Push it, and you'll get pneumonia. That will reduce both your lung capacity and your stamina for a really long time. So, be sensible and keep to your bed.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It depends on the kind of sick. "Can't crawl out of bed" means you STAY in bed. A cold that you would still go to work with, I would would still exercise, although maybe a little less intense. "Sick" (or injured) isn't an EXCUSE to not exercise, it's just a limiter of what you can and can't do over a set period of time.
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i've got some stomach throat thing that hit me over night... boss wants to send me home for the day and I dread the thought of laying on the couch all day - but its all I want to do... i'm hoping if I do it for a little bit and rest up maybe i can manage a walk on the treadmill though no work out DVDs because just the thought of jumping around or abs makes me want to throw up...