why does my daily calorie intake keep lowering?

Options
when i started mfp last year i was allowed 1440 to lose 1lb a week. then it lowerd to 1430. then i took a few week break over christmas. im back at it and now its only allowing me 1390. whats up with that?

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    A smaller body requires less calories...or more exercise and the same calories.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    I don't recommend following the calorie intake limit that MFP sets for you.
  • kateneyxx
    kateneyxx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I guess the more you lose the less you weigh and therefore cant keep the same calorie intake to continue the same progress ...

Hope that helps :) x
  • jbug5j
    jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i guess thats what it is lol every time i see my calorie goal now i feel jipped!!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Yep! The less you weigh the less calories it takes to sustain your weight. ;)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to goal you may need to reassess to a half lb per week goal if you're feeling deprived.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Probably because you've lost weight. As you get closer to your goal weight, it will actually go up because your body will be working harder for you and you'll need more because your metabolism will be faster, especially if you're building muscle. Just take what it gives you and be sure to eat your exercise calories so you aren't starving yourself.
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Hmmmm...is that why you haven't lost anything?
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Increase your exercise by about 5-10 mins per day and you should be able to eat the same as before...

A smaller body requires less energy to function.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options

I follow the sites recommendations have been since Nov and they are working just fine for me.

OP as others have said as you lose weight you need to lower your calories to continue losing weight. If you feel you need more you can either exercise more to gain more calories or adjust the amount you want to lose per week. Say go from1 lb a week to 1/2 lb per week. Good luck and good job so far!
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

• morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Why is that? Do you think MFP's calorie limit is too high,or too low,and why?
  • jbug5j
    jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    thank you! :) im hoping i can do it again this year and get back to my highschool weight. its only been 61/2 years lol it shouldnt be too hard right? lol
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I started at over 2000 and now am at 1740. It takes me a little while to adjust to the lower amount.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to goal you may need to reassess to a half lb per week goal if you're feeling deprived.

Agreed.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    I don't agree with the way MFP sets up calories for people who weigh less and leave their goal at 2lbs a week. It sets too extreme of a deficit. Does it help that I've lost 30lbs?

Read this if you're interested in doing the math yourself: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

However, if you set your goal to something more realistic like .5lb or 1lb a week like they recommend then MFP sets decent calorie goals.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Thinner people need fewer calories........ Enjoy this and just do a workout every day and u will be fine. Bigger people need more calories so really this is good news to u just go with the change........
  • NachoEverydayChick
    NachoEverydayChick Posts: 23 Member
    Options

That's a really rude comment. You don't know what this person has been through before setting up their profile here. You can question the message without attacking the person.
  • kimmcconkey
    kimmcconkey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Mine does too. I reset my goals every five pounds lost and it adjusts my calories. I have my account set to lose a pound a week but I'm consistently losing 2lbs a week right now. I also do HIIT twice a week plus one day of cardio.