Best 'healthy' chocolate cake EVER! (Gluten free!)

Options
arrawyn79
arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
Okay, so I only have 'healthy' in brackets because this is NOT a low cal or low fat cake BUT.... its made with entirely super nutritious (but high fat or cal) ingredients like...*drumroll please*: avocados and dates! (and coconut milk/cream, and coconut oil). I just made it a few days ago (in a square pan so cut it into brownie pieces - and i've been having 2 pieces a day for the past 3 days! and I don't feel guilty at all because there's no butter, no sugar, no flour... just healthy, nutritious ingredients!!! it's stuff I would eat anyways (eggs, avocados, dates, cocoa) just made into the chocolatey-ist yummiest chocolate cake I have EVER had. seriously!

I found it on a great healthy food blog i've recently discovered. everything on that blog is awesome (and so many YUMMY and HEALTHY sweet desserts! :D) NOTE: it IS time consuming (the waiting is agony!) but it's soooo worth it. I just had a slice (square) FOR BREAKFAST! (another note: it's not super sweet, which is fine by me, cuz i don't like really sweet. so if you want it sweeter you might want to add either some honey OR add other things to the date paste (apricots, raisins etc as the date paste recipe says)

Just check out the link to take a look at all the gorgeous/yummy pictures!

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/2012/04/21/most-decadent-healthy-chocolate-cake/

but here's the recipe straight from the page:

INGREDIENTS

For the cake

1½ cup extra dark cocoa powder
3 ripe avocados
1 cup date paste (the actual recipe on the website has a link to how to make the date paste!) so go to the link above ^^
¾ cup coconut milk (the canned variety)
6 large eggs
¾ cup (6) egg whites
½ cup water
2 tsp pure vanilla
½ tsp salt

For the icing

1 cup extra dark cocoa powder
½ cup date paste
½ cup coconut milk (the canned variety)
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
½ cup warm water
Garnish ideas
Canned coconut milk
(you can make it thicker by leaving an opened can in the refrigerator overnight)
Small fruits, such as gooseberries, raspberries or strawberries
Cacao Nibs
Coconut shavings
Mint leaves

INSTRUCTIONS

For the cake

Preheat oven to 375F
Line bottom part of a spring form pan with aluminum foil and fold the edges under it. Assemble pan by putting rim in place, then bring aluminum foil up around the walls of the pan. Coat bottom and sides of pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
In your food processor, add avocados and date paste and blend until well combined and super smooth and creamy.
Add eggs and process until smooth.
Add the rest of the ingredients and process until well incorporated.
Transfer your cake batter to reserved pan and bake in the oven for 28-30 minutes, until top appears darker pretty much all over. Be careful not to overcook.
Turn the oven off, crack the door open and leave your cake in to cool for an hour or two, then transfer to the refrigerator and cool completely, at least 8 hours.

For the icing

In your food processor, add all ingredients except cocoa powder and process until well incorporated.
Add cocoa powder, about ¼ cup at a a time, and process until smooth and creamy with each addition.
At this point, your icing should have the consistency of chocolate pudding. If you find that it is a little bit too stiff, you can help loosen it up a bit by setting over it a double boiler and whisking it gently until it has reached the desired consistency.
Take cake out of the refrigerator and place id upside down on a serving plate.
Pour icing right in the middle of the cake and spread it gently all the way to the edge.
Drizzle coconut cream over icing and decorate with berries and mint leaves, if desired

Replies