Protein?!

Options
I continually go over my protein goals even though I'm under my calorie goals each day! I googled how much protein I should be aiming for but I can't find really good information.

Anyone have any help? Am I truly going over, or is the goal set to low - if so, what should it be set to? Feel free to see my diary if it helps!

Deanna

Replies

• stevenyuzk
    stevenyuzk Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I continually go over my protein goals even though I'm under my calorie goals each day! I googled how much protein I should be aiming for but I can't find really good information.

Anyone have any help? Am I truly going over, or is the goal set to low - if so, what should it be set to? Feel free to see my diary if it helps!

Deanna

How much protein you get everyday? I consume 2000 calories each day, doing 40/40/20 split so about 200g of protein and I cant even hit it despite how much i try lol. Depends on your goal and how you want to split your macros i guess.

One thing i found out while research was a common way to determine your protein intake is 1g protein per 1lbs bodyweight - bodyfat. I guess you can try that.

hope it helps.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm a 40-30-30 person and I usually can hit it fairly well. My post workout protein shake is the thing that kicks it to the macro for me. So on rest days I don't always make it to goal because I don't drink a shake.

But I'm a carnivore by nature, so that helps, too.
  • stubbynose
    Options
    Here is what I found while researching protein maybe this will help you:

"As a general guideline, the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for protein for adults is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight per day."

try this and see if it helps … as you continue to loose you will have to recalculate this amount. The best of luck…. and you had once asked if taking 25 lbs off in 5 months is a good goal.. yes it is certainly do able….I lost 30 lbs last summer in 6 months and my friend lost her 30 lbs in 5 months… she just turned 40 on the weekend and I just turned 48 so YES to your question…you can do it…. the best of luck to you !!

Deanna
  • BiohazrD
    Options
    1g per pound of goal body weight
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    This is a common concern with MFP. I found the default setting for protean to be way too low for me. You can adjust the setting manually.

Weight lifters target 1 gm per pound of body weight. Others go for 1gr per lb of lean mass. Others target to percentage of cals 25%, 30%, 40% etc.

Personally, I'm at 30% protean, 30% fat, 40% carbs, which is a little over 1 gram per lb of body weight. I lift heavy and find more than enough protean for muscle growth.

Bottom line, don't worry about going over the MFP default it is not a concern.
  • jmendez625
    Options

Deanna

I hope this helps.... Follow this link for a protein intake chart: http://health.herbalife.com/Content/en-US/img/healthy-life/balanced-diet/protein_needs.gif