Ikea Mattress?

Options
calibriintx
calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
So we're about to buy a full size mattress for my 3 year old and I wanted to see if anyone has personal experience with Ikea mattresses? I'm really leery of buying a mattress there. We already found an awesome mattress at Sleep Experts and it's on sale for $350. My daughter is only 36 #s so she'll probably get more than the usual 7-10 years out of it. We'll use a mattress protector and since she'll be really "light" for years to come, I imagine it'll take a lot longer to wear out a mattress. She's not the kid who likes to jump on the bed and we're not really the parents who would let her anyway - she has a trampoline for jumping - so that's not an issue. Anyway, I'm leaning hard toward the "nice" mattress but wanted to see if anyone out there just loves their Ikea mattress and thinks it's just as good as a mid-range mattress from a popular mattress brand?

Replies

• calibriintx
    Options
    bump
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I find IKEA mattresses to be cheap and uncomfortable. One thing in life we should all splurge on is a mattress. I've been mattress shopping for myself and I went to IKEA first and realized that they weren't the best place for one.
  • calibriintx
    Options
    Thanks! We're about to go up to Ikea now. I've seen their mattresses in the store but never really looked at them. They just looked cheap online though. DH thinks we could get her an Ikea mattress and then upgrade her in a few years, but why spend a couple hundred on something disposable when we can spend $350 on something that'll probably last her at least through highschool? Plus I want something that's going to be really supportive while she's growing. And comfy!
  • eris1981
    eris1981 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've never owned an Ikea mattress, but a quick Google search of reviews seems to indicate that the foam mattresses are awful but the regular mattresses aren't so bad. A few people say they got a pillow topper to go on top of it early on but the mattress and pillow topper combination has worked for like ten years. However, the frames are not so good and you also need to be sure the mattress is standard USA size and not Euro size.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    We have a spring mattress from Ikea. I don't know which one it is, but it was probably one of the most inexpensive ones because we're poor students. No pillowtop either, just a mattress protector in case of cat pee. I have no complaints, we're on our third year with it and it's great, feels the exact same as every other mattress including my best friend's super fancy beautyrest.
  • calibriintx
    Options
    Thanks for feedback. I did look at review sites and saw that people were pretty equally satisfied with Ikea's innerspring mattress and other brand names. We went and looked at them and yeah, the foam ones looked AWFUL. The spring ones looked okay for a guestroom but not everyday sleeping. Even the ones that were more expensive than the other one we liked weren't as nice. They were comfy but had really poor edge support. We went back to Sleep Experts and the difference in quality was even more obvious after just looking at the ones at Ikea. Got the one from Sleep Experts and we'll probably pick it up in a week or so. I don't want to bring it home yet as we still need to buy bedding, safety rails and a mattress protector. Excited to find something really nice at a great price, but nervous for the switch to the big bed!