Penne pasta....

Options
Hey guys! :)

I am after some advice regarding pasta for my dinner, how many calories in a cup of cooked pasta?

How do you ( if you do) eat your pasta dishes so they remain sort of healthy?

Cheers x

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I am after some advice regarding pasta for my dinner, how many calories in a cup of cooked pasta?

Cheers x

Why not use dry weight when weighing vs cooked weight? Generally 2oz of dry pasta has about 200 cals

As for keeping pasta dishes healthy, define your definition of healthy
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Cheers x

Aren't you in the UK?
    Read the packet.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Put in lots of veggies and keep the amount of fat you put into it down. Using some of the pasta water as part of the sauce will help make your pasta creamy. Also if you use whole wheat penne, the nutrition factor goes up.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

Cheers x

Why not use dry weight when weighing vs cooked weight? Generally 2oz of dry pasta has about 200 cals

As for keeping pasta dishes healthy, define your definition of healthy
    Also 2 ounces generally translates to about 1 cup of cooked, depending on the shape of the pasta.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    Weight the dry amount of pasta. Input that amount into the calorie counting system MFP gives you.
  • calmthundr2
    calmthundr2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As you can see, there isn't an exact answer... the 1 cup estimate isn't bad. If you need it more detailed you can do this: Make a recipie through MFP including all of the ingredients (pasta, veg, cheese... anything that goes into the cooked dish...whatever). Get a scale and a bowl. Place the bowl on the scale and zero out the weight of the bowl. Then put the finished dish into the bowl and weigh it. Put the weight into the recipie creator in MFP and then weight out each portion. (e.g. - if the entire completed pasta dish weighs 70 ounces then put that as the number of servings which will tell you how much each ounce weighs.

It is a bit complicated but a bit more accurate as well.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I don't have much caloric/nutritional advice for you, but I just wanted to mention that the word "pene" means "penis" in Spanish, and it's pronounced VERY similar to the pasta name "penne", so when people talk about "penne" pasta, I can't help but giggle :)
  • DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't have much caloric/nutritional advice for you, but I just wanted to mention that the word "pene" means "penis" in Spanish, and it's pronounced VERY similar to the pasta name "penne", so when people talk about "penne" pasta, I can't help but giggle :)

Hahaha must be interesting in an Italian restaurant for you with everyone ordering penis! lol

I tend to avoid pasta now, I used to eat all the time, like everyday, but find I get bloated after and can't exercise for hours after. Personally found I have lost flab by just avoiding bread and pasta unless on a cheat day.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Cheers x

Weight it, calories are by weight not by volume. Keep the meal healthy with portion control and balance - way more vegetables than protein or pasta.
  • lordvoldemort1
    lordvoldemort1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite healthy pasta dishes is pasta with tuna, sweetcorn and a tiny bit of mayo. I always mix the tuna, etc. seperate and put it on the pasta. Comes in at around 220 calories if you use only half the tins of tuna and sweetcorn which I find is more than enough. Plus then you can use the left-over tuna sweetcorn for healthy sandwhiches or to go with a salad :)