Getting enough veggies in...

Options
I am having trouble getting enough vegetables in. I just don't like them!! My mother never made vegetables with our meals when I was a kid except for canned corn, creamed corn or peas. Now I'm trying so hard to get vegetables to be the main nutrition in my day and I just don't like the way they taste without cheese sauce or raw with dill dip. Well, that obviously isn't going to help!

Anyone else out there that was not a fan of veggies? If so, what tricks did you use to start liking them? Any seasonings or anything that help give them some zing?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read. :smile:

Replies

• RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies with 75% veggies and 25% fruits. My bf is not a big veggie eater, but if I mince green pepper and onion in sauces he will eat it because it's a texture thing for him. I also like to drink Bolthouse Farms 100% carrot juice sometimes, usually 1 cup mixed with 1/2 c orange juice. A lot of people don't advocate drinking your calories, but as long as you log it, I don't see a problem. Good luck!
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi. I may not be the best person to answer this as I love veggies but have been recently been having difficulties getting them into my toddler... Here goes what works for him:

Roast fingers of sweet potato - drizzle with oil and bake for ~ 45 mins or until soft
    Crunchy veg (baby sweet corn, sugar snap peas, cucumber sticks) dipped in hummous
    Spinach added to anything - it just disappears
    Carrot cake!

Hope you find a way of getting your palate round it. One of my favourite dinners is vegetable lasagne. Ricotta is reasonably low fat and if you don't like/want pasta try flattened out sliced leeks a la hairy dieters. Not tried that myself but hubby v keen to give it a go...

X
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Wash and cut some green beans, boil for 4-5 minutes, shock in ice water for 2 minutes, put them in a pan with a little olive oil, salt, and minced garlic and cook them for a few minutes. It's really good.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble getting enough vegetables in. I just don't like them!! My mother never made vegetables with our meals when I was a kid except for canned corn, creamed corn or peas. Now I'm trying so hard to get vegetables to be the main nutrition in my day and I just don't like the way they taste without cheese sauce or raw with dill dip. Well, that obviously isn't going to help!

Anyone else out there that was not a fan of veggies? If so, what tricks did you use to start liking them? Any seasonings or anything that help give them some zing?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read. :smile:

I was forced to eat all sorts as a child, still didn't even like a basic salad when I left home. I started eating more fruit and vegetables after I got sick enough not to work, sat down and thought about what I would and could eat - like you with a sauce generally spices, cheese, garlic, chilli or balsamic vinegar. I love soups, South Asian curries, East Asian stir fries, tomato and roasted veg sauce on pasta, certain things in stews and casseroles, homemade chunky coleslaw (red cabbage, red onion, carrot shavings), vegetable bake (broccoli, cauliflower, red onion) with white sauce and cheese, various things in an omelette or hidden in a smoothie, all sorts in chilli con carne or Bolognese (grated carrot, lentils, mushrooms, corn). I have been known to eat a huge plate of garlic sauteed veggies (bell peppers, red onion, mushroom, something green) topped with Greek yoghurt and grated half fat cheddar: seriously delish.

Some people like vegetable mash - any combo of sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, cauliflower, swede, chick peas or pumpkin - but I am really funny about cooked root vegetables and squashes. You should be eating three servings of dairy per day for health, so there is nothing wrong in eating a sensible serving of homemade cheese sauce regularly. Sometimes you need to try a veggie a few times cooked in different dishes before you settle on one you like. Bacon bits or sliced almonds are good toppings too.
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Roasted veges! While I love veges, I've been able to get people who don't to eat them if I roast. Generally I use asparagus, carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. To change it up sometimes I'll add small 1/2 inch cubed potatoes or bell pepper sliced. Then I put a tablespoon of olive oil in a large bowl and toss the veges.. Lay out them out on a baking sheet in 1 layer, sprinkle a couple fresh minced garlic cloves, some thyme, basil, and rosemary. Then bake at 425F for around 10-15 minutes. I prefer to cook until the ends of the broccoli is turning black, it gives a very nice crunch without the taste of being burnt. When people smell that fresh garlic in the oven they always come check out what is cookin'!
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I had to eat a lot of canned veggies growing up and that does not do veggies justice! I agree with all the above comments and recommend experimenting with different recipes until you find stuff you like! I made some roasted curry and ginger cauliflower last week that tasted almost like a spicy popcorn! There are so many great recipe sites online; I find a lot of mine on Pinterest. In the meantime, mixing some plain Greek yogurt with hot sauce is a much healthier but also tasty way to jazz up veggies instead of ranch or cheese sauces!