Any "Stepping out of y/our comfort zone" Success Stories?

Options
I'll start...I'm not so much of an super early riser, never have been. This morning, I awoke SUPER early and ya know what? Unlike what/how I've ALWAYS dreaded getting up early ON PURPOSE, being up before the sun, it was totally fabulous. I got a LOT of positive and healthy stuff done by waking up early, dare I say....I LOVED IT?!?!

Also, another way I'm stepping outta my blasted comfort zone by no longer saying (outloud and to myself) I don't want to do (fill in the blank--for me it's exercising among other things). I caught myself starting to say that today and specifically change it, changed my mind and my words and comfort zone and said I WANT TO GO WALKING (even though my flesh really didn't want to)

Like many (if not most) fears (especially the blasted fear of doing something positive and good for me) stepping out of my comfort zone today was no where NEAR the UGH I dreaded it to be!

How's bout you? How are you stepping out of your comfort zone and what are the successful results you're reaping/seeing????

Replies

• Jennymcwb
    Jennymcwb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Zumba class this past week. I lack rhythm, but made it through 2 classes this week and am looking forward to classes this week .
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Zumba class this past week. I lack rhythm, but made it through 2 classes this week and am looking forward to classes this week .

Yes...Go girl, I know you can and WILL do it--practice makes "better" as my children say :drinker:
  • chrissylovescj
    chrissylovescj Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day working out early in the morning on a workday (I'd always dreaded it but wanted to do it)!! Felt great!! :)
  • kanncm
    kanncm Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I have started exercise programs before but always let myself get distracted and quit before the end. I am stepping it up and sticking with it this time! I just completed day 21 of 30 Day Shred, that is 21 days straight, no rest days for this girl. I have lost 4 pounds and 5&3/4 inches so far. I also took a class last week called Spartan Warrior Bootcamp and can not wait to go back tonight!!
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    For me it was going downstairs in my gym and lifting. I usually stay upstairs in the cardio room, or taking classes. Then I wandered to the circut room. Recently I got a staff member at my gym to show me the weight lifting equipment. I feel a lot like the girl version of this:

2u90gud.gif

but I'm down stairs now, out of my comfort zone, and I'm lifting weights.
  • CanadaKarin
    CanadaKarin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THat you had such a wonderful day so far and are learning to be more positive. I have heard and experienced that "the more you do the more you want to do" like the more active you are propels you do be even more active. I totally find that to be true. I saw a recent MFP post that said they did their Gillian Michaels 30 day shred workout in the mornign to get it overwith and not to have to fight inside their head all day to argue back and forth about doing it or not and when or when not to. I find that very true. So today I have just completed my workout and feel awesome and it is only 9am:) Way to go everyone!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I used to be scared of ellipticals because I wasn't sure if I could get a hang of the arm and leg motion. I didn't want to look like an idiot and/or fall off.

Once I finally tried one, I realized it's really, really easy and a toddler could operate it. I felt so silly! I'm glad I finally got the courage to try it because my heart rate goes up really high, almost TOO high, and I burn a ton of calories compared to the treadmill and bike. It's also a lot better for my feet and knees, which usually hurt after doing two miles on the treadmill. So it's a win-win all the way around.

I started out able to do only four minutes, and now I can do ten. I hope to get up to 30-45 minutes someday.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I do my best to go out of my comfort zone on a regular basis. I have found that beyond the comfort zone is wear the magic happens. I can relate to your early morning ugh. When I first started my journey I began bootcamp three days a week...but in order to do so I had to be up and at the gym by 4:50am. I used to have trouble getting up by 7am...so this took a little getting used to.

More recently I have committed to trying a cardio kickboxing class nearby. I have a hard time with classes, especially when I don't know anybody. But have decided it's time to try something new. And I am sure I will love it once I get over the anxiety of it all!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Today I made my weight loss efforts and goals known.. public even, as I posted it on my facebook wall that I am trying to lose weight and I am taking zumba classes even posted that I weighed in this am and had a 6 pound loss! For me this is stepping out of my comfort zone.. Sharing here on this site is one thing because I know that there are alot of people who are going through the same things I am and that they can in a way relate. But to put myself out there to people who know me those who see me face to face regularly and will therefore know if I fail is a big step for me! I was always so scared to tell anyone like what if they know and I fail.. then I am a failure in their eyes as well as my own.. That and I think how will they take me seriously if I can even lose weight without giving up?? Hopefully it will be a motivator for me AND show me that I don't need to worry about anyones opinion of me but my own!! :heart:
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to hear there is someone else in the world besides me, who even though there is a definate lack of rhythm, is at Zumba! 3rd class last night and it is getting to be more and more fun.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I do my best to go out of my comfort zone on a regular basis. I have found that beyond the comfort zone is wear the magic happens. I can relate to your early morning ugh. When I first started my journey I began bootcamp three days a week...but in order to do so I had to be up and at the gym by 4:50am. I used to have trouble getting up by 7am...so this took a little getting used to.

More recently I have committed to trying a cardio kickboxing class nearby. I have a hard time with classes, especially when I don't know anybody. But have decided it's time to try something new. And I am sure I will love it once I get over the anxiety of it all!

" I have found that beyond the comfort zone is wear the magic happens."

WOW...just WOW:love: This is going to be one of my most favorite things to meditate upon and remember...I love famous quotes and this is one for the books!!!! Thank you so much for posting...you ROCK!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'll start...I'm not so much of an super early riser, never have been. This morning, I awoke SUPER early and ya know what? Unlike what/how I've ALWAYS dreaded getting up early ON PURPOSE, being up before the sun, it was totally fabulous. I got a LOT of positive and healthy stuff done by waking up early, dare I say....I LOVED IT?!?!

Also, another way I'm stepping outta my blasted comfort zone by no longer saying (outloud and to myself) I don't want to do (fill in the blank--for me it's exercising among other things). I caught myself starting to say that today and specifically change it, changed my mind and my words and comfort zone and said I WANT TO GO WALKING (even though my flesh really didn't want to)

Like many (if not most) fears (especially the blasted fear of doing something positive and good for me) stepping out of my comfort zone today was no where NEAR the UGH I dreaded it to be!

How's bout you? How are you stepping out of your comfort zone and what are the successful results you're reaping/seeing????

I wanted to DIE 11 months ago just doing 30 minutes on the treadmill, now I *could* go longer if I wanted to. When I had to stay off the treadmill for a week, I was grumpy!

my chiropractor suggested I do weighted squats...which require me to go in the free weight area in the gym. I started going in there about 4 months ago, and I really like it! And I have a booty now instead of a pancake butt :love:

as a result of doing the strength training, my thighs are firm, I have back and shoulder muscles ( no 'back boobs')...and normal stuff around the house ( lifting bags of chicken feed, moving bales of straw, etc) are much easier!
  • Jennymcwb
    Jennymcwb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to hear there is someone else in the world besides me, who even though there is a definate lack of rhythm, is at Zumba! 3rd class last night and it is getting to be more and more fun.

Yep, getting easier. I finally figured out the beat.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day working out early in the morning on a workday (I'd always dreaded it but wanted to do it)!! Felt great!! :)

I have been trying to go in the morning on days I go in a little later but I make excuses (today it was because it was snowing outside and I was cold) I'm working on it =D
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I was always too embarrassed to workout in front of anyone, and as a mom with a whole lotta kids (LOL) I could either got over it or just not workout at all. Eventually I chose to get over it. That was 23 months ago and it was all I could manage to do 10 minutes on the wii fit. I kept at it till I could do bigger and better things and 3 weeks ago I was offered a job (they approached me, I'd have NEVER asked for it!) instructing a low impact cardio class. I also instruct a bootcamp style class, which is what I *really* love to do, but I don't get paid for that one.

It's no longer an issue for me to workout in front of people, but it sure has been a stretch to be the one leading it. With all the rewards I've reaped by working out (losing the weight, feeling good about myself for the first time ever, gaining confidence I never thought possible), I can't wait to see what will come of this new step out of my comfort zone.
  • Gina2411
    Options
    I am a majorly fussy eater. Never used to be.. my parents would always make me eat a healthy cooked meal.

I then developed taste buds and refused point blank to eat different foods.

As the years have passed I think its got my of a physcological thing rather than the fact that i dont like it, as i cant even bring myself to try food. If it looks funny, smells weird... not a chance in hell. I tend to over think things, and worry about what will happen if i dont like it.. will i be sick? will it make me ill and the mind does overtime.

As you can probably guess... dieting is not easy with being so fussy.

So... In a bid to change for good.... Stepping out of my comfort zone for me has been trying new foods.

Its not been easy, and if someone tried to force me to try stuff, i will just clam up.

So far, i have tried soup and like it.

also tried some dried fruit, although the mango was a bit nasty.

Taking it with baby steps at the moment, hopefully, ill be eating a plate full of veg soon!
  • AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I went to a boxing class last Friday, it was awesome and for some reason something I absolutely feared. Not now thought :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    For me it was going downstairs in my gym and lifting. I usually stay upstairs in the cardio room, or taking classes. Then I wandered to the circut room. Recently I got a staff member at my gym to show me the weight lifting equipment. I feel a lot like the girl version of this:

2u90gud.gif

but I'm down stairs now, out of my comfort zone, and I'm lifting weights.

Such an inspiration post...you rock sir.
  • sarahlm20
    sarahlm20 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym at the start of the month. I was terrified.

I hated sport and exercise. The machinery freaked me out. I was scared I wouldn't understand how to use it. I was scared no-one would help. I was scared to be the fat girl surrounded by skinny minnies. I was scared to exercise in front of men.

When i got into the gym I couldn't find any staff. I had booked for an induction but my bus was late! Being this is my first time stepping foot in the gym I was terrified, it was unknown territory I was walking. I panicked and couldn't breath, close to tears!. People looked over at me curiously but no-one helped. I wanted my Kalm tablets but I forgot them.

Something clicked in my head.... I AM NOT TURNING BACK! I was in the building, do it now.

Finally I found staff and one of the staff who was about to leave to go home kindly showed me around and taught me the machines. It wasn't as scary as I thought.

In fact I loved it and when I got home I wanted to go back!

Unfortunately due to money problems and moving house iv been unable to get to the gym for 2 weeks but once I get paid.... You will know where I will be :D
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I joined the gym at the start of the month. I was terrified.

I hated sport and exercise. The machinery freaked me out. I was scared I wouldn't understand how to use it. I was scared no-one would help. I was scared to be the fat girl surrounded by skinny minnies. I was scared to exercise in front of men.

When i got into the gym I couldn't find any staff. I had booked for an induction but my bus was late! Being this is my first time stepping foot in the gym I was terrified, it was unknown territory I was walking. I panicked and couldn't breath, close to tears!. People looked over at me curiously but no-one helped. I wanted my Kalm tablets but I forgot them.

Something clicked in my head.... I AM NOT TURNING BACK! I was in the building, do it now.

Finally I found staff and one of the staff who was about to leave to go home kindly showed me around and taught me the machines. It wasn't as scary as I thought.

In fact I loved it and when I got home I wanted to go back!

Unfortunately due to money problems and moving house iv been unable to get to the gym for 2 weeks but once I get paid.... You will know where I will be :D

Reading this your reply brings joy to my heart and is inspirational/encouraging as all get out...you so ROCK, I'm proud of you!:drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!