Race etiquette

Options
2»

Replies

• cynthiatwayne
    Options
    When I first started racing local 5Ks, I had this woman....this OLD crunched over woman who was my nemesis.....I couldn't beat the lady. She'd be in front of me and would start to walk...I'd get just about up to her and she'd take off....and so on all race. This happened at EVERY race I did for a few YEARS....until I beat her....I did it...it was the proudest moment of my life...I BEAT the old lady. I haven't seen her in a while but I look for her every race I do that's local and a 5K. I hope I'm still running races when I'm her age!

Its a race....congratulations on your finish and be very proud of yourself!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    the only thing I'd worry about when it comes to race etiquette is if YOU decide to walk GTFO of the other runners' way...move right :wink:

I have leap frogged and been leap frogged. So long as you finish your race feeling like you did your best that's as much as you can do. Just don't be "that guy" that taunts other people you pass. I always try to give encouragement when I see people flagging and appreciate the same when people pass me.

Unlike the one guy in my second marathon who paced me for a bit and said "you aren't very fast huh?" to which I replied "sorry what did you say?" (as I pulled out my earbuds) and he said "you...you don't run very fast!" Ha ha ha! I ignored him, I shaved 1h 37 minutes off my time, slow or not I was pretty pleased!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I've run in dozens of races and been RacevDirector for several others. It's one to put out a big effort at the end of a race if you are close to a PR time. But doing an all-out sprint or getting into a cutthroat battle to decide the difference between 501st and 502nd place looks tacky. Run your own race and finish with class.

^^^What?

As someone who has run competitively for years, and done this for 1st place many times, you better finish hard if the rest of us are.
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I once worked as a volunteer right at the corner where the tri-athletes made their final turn into the shoot. I can not tell you how many people I saw plodding in when someone came up to catch them from behind - It was on. Both sped up and both finished with a smile on their face!