smoothie recipes pleaseee

Options
Hello, this morning I decided to have a smoothie for breakfast. It had one banana, 3 large strawberries, 1cup milk and 2 tbls of light vanilla yogurt. It did not fill me up. I want to start having smoothies for breakfast but it just seems so high in calories for me to still be hungry. What are recipes you use? How do you make smoothies with oats or oatmeal? I don't have money for flax seeds and things like that so try to be a little nor traditional please :)

Replies

• coffeebrown5
    coffeebrown5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You can post this a 100 times and get different answers or no answers. Just throw in what is healthy for you add some milk and yogurt and you should be fine. You have to play around with what taste best and feels you up......good luck!
  • tlwells62
    tlwells62 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with Coffee (above reply). But I will say adding a tablespoon of low fat (or natural sugar free) peanut butter does help be more filling. I make smoothies almost every day -- they are high in calories but still a good, solid meal on the go.

Good luck.
  • HayleeWho1122
    HayleeWho1122 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies ALL the time! :) I put a cup of kiefer nonfat vanilla yogurt, 1 banana, 1/2 to 1 cup of orange juice, 7 strawberries, baby kale (optional), 1/4 cup carrot juice (optional), and a scoop Vanilla protein power
  • erikabailey6
    Options
    I agree, you have to find what works for you. I have green smoothies every morning. I get 2 cups spincah, 1/2 banana, 3/4 mango, 1 cup starwberries maybe 1/2 mangos. Really it is all up to you. I change what I put in according to what I have on hand. I think the things that helps me the most (even though I know you said you dont have the extra money) is CHAI SEEDS. these swell up when they are in a liquid and take up space. So it helps me feel full for longer periods of time. I get them a whole foods or traders Joes for about 5-9.00 depending on the size.
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with taste, I just have a problem with me not being full from them. What kind of protein powder do you suggest? Does it make you feel more full? Does anyone knownanythingnabout oatmeal smoothies?
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered adding cottage cheese to smoothies and OMG! it tastes great. really thickens the shake, so they are very filling, but doesn't taste 'cheesy' in any way.

You could use greek yohurt instead of CC if you're worried about sodium.

Could also add a handfull of oats to the mixture.
  • enliven_mal
    enliven_mal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Google?
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Check out pintrest!! or www.theyummylife.com blueberry maple refrigerator oatmeal is good. Invent your own flavor formula is great!! My 15 year old son will eat them before going to school to weight lift in the early am. Keeps him full till 11 o'clock.
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    oatmeal smoothie i have tried and its pretty dang good. filled me up til it was at least time for my mid-morning snack if not til lunch

http://www.marthastewart.com/851771/oatmeal-smoothies
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    Options
    Thanks guys! Ill check out those sites!
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    Options
    When I use old fashioned oats..do I cook them first???
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I use 1/3 cup instant oats 1 scoop esa vanilla protein powder 1 tbs jif peanut butter couple dashes of cinnomon 1 cup skim milk
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I use my oats raw but there quick oats
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    No. While leaving smoothy in refrig overnight, the oatmeal with expand and thicken the smoothy. Make sure you blend the oatmeal as fine as you can, like flour.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Just read this one online... sounded good and thought I'd share it....

Ingredients
    2 Safest Choice™ pasteurized egg(s)
    1 1/2 c frozen mango chunks
    1 c fat-free Greek yogurt
    1 c orange juice
    Preparation
    Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve with orange rind garnish if desired.

Why use Safest Choice™ Eggs in this recipe?
    Cool down your food safety worries, too, by choosing Safest Choice™ pasteurized eggs for this smoothie recipe.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size (422g)
    Total Servings 2

Amount Per Serving:

Calories 250
    Calories from Fat 25
    Total Fat 2.5g (4% DV)
    Saturated Fat 1g (5% DV)
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 95mg (32% DV)
    Sodium 115mg (5% DV)
    Total
    Carbohydrate 44g (15% DV)
    Dietary Fiber 3g (12% DV)
    Sugars 40g
    Protein 14g
    Vitamin A 25%
    Vitamin C 60%
    Calcium 10%
    Iron 6%
    Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

http://www.safeeggs.com/recipes/orange-mango-smoothie-recipe?gclid=CI65l4jo-bQCFWaoPAod2FoA8g
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to add the protein whey powder or you will be hungry in a nanosecond. If I have a protein shake I'm set until lunch usually or I have a mid-morning piece of fruit. I use 1 cup frozen berries, 1/2c - 1c water (depending on how thick you want your shake), a packet of Equal or Splenda, and 1 scoop of whey powder.
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite:

1-2 handfuls of ice
    1 cup almond milk
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
    1 tbsp instant decaf coffee
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2 cups spinach
    1 banana

I've thrown in 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (uncooked) and consumed it right afterward as a breakfast before.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I find when I adds greens to my smoothies they are more filling. Really any veggies help fill me.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You may not know this, but you can get ground flax or flax oil at walmart for $5. It will last you along time. I use chia seeds which are around 7 dollars a bag, but one bag lasts me 6 months. Adding flax or chia seeds is a good way to make a smoothie more filling as it adds fiber and protein.

Here's the smoothie I had this morning

1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 small banana
    1 cup of apple juice (or you can use soymilk to make it more filling)
    1 teaspoon chia seeds
    2 leaves of romaine lettuce
    1/4cup of tea
    3 ice cubes (or you can make ice cubes out of tea!)

if I want to make it more filling I'll use soymilk instead or add in coconut milk yogurt. Occassionally I'll add protein or meal replacement powder, I just don't like the chalky taste the one I have adds to my smoothie.

adding tea in place of water in your smoothie gives you benefits of drinking tea, and if you need it for the morning it can help wake you up depending on what type of tea you use. I love using tea in smoothies.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Mine this morning was cold brewed coffee, tablespoon heavy cream (50 cals-for the fat), vanilla protein powder and a quarter cup non fat chobani. Store didn't have any 2% chobani. Tastes like coffee cheesecake. As an aside, I'm not choosing this as a healthy shake, just a healthier option for my coffee addiction. I'll keep drinking coffee with half and half or cream until I'm full.