Is my goal to lofty???

Options
I set a goal with my husband to be at 145 pounds by July 1st (if I get there, I get a shopping spree and spa weekend!) (In my true heart of hearts, I was really hoping to be at 140lbs - my ultimate goal- by my birthday June 16!!)

I've been earnestly logging and exercising since the first of January, and there has definitly been some progress, just not at the rate that will comfortably allow me to hit my goal.

I'm currently 171 pounds (it got down to 170 one day this week, but must have been a fluke...cause it's more at 171...) I'm 5'8".

I've only gone over my calorie goals 2x since Jan 5, and I've exercised to Jillian Michaels 30 day shred every single day (except 1 - and that's because I did a trial Zumba class with some friends instead that day).

I know JM is only a 20 min work out, but I was hoping it was a good start for someone with my kind of weight to lose, and I fully anticipate amping it up as I get stronger, and closer to the goal.

Is 25-30 pounds in 5 or so months a really unrealistic goal - or do I need to do so much more - more exercise/less food etc.???

I know everyone's body is different, and that there is muscle involved etc. etc. I'm just wondering if it sounds outrageous or not??

Replies

• mbryanlpc
    mbryanlpc Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Less than 30 by July?? I don't see why that couldn't be done! Good luck to you :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    No, it sounds reasonable. You could reach it losing only 1-1.5 pound per week.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    5 lbs a month is a reasonable goal, but it takes hard work. Also, be sure to give your body a rest day at least once a week. Muscles need to recover. I shoot for 40 min 4 x a week, but usually I do 30 5 x a week and in the summer longer. I also mix up my work outs, walking, weight training, yoga etc to keep my body from getting used to a routine.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    5 lbs a month doesn't seem too lofty to me. It will be hard but you can do it or at least you'll be close. Add in little extras like like walking on your lunch break, stairs, just being on your feet all day and that may give you a little extra boost on top of your daily workouts. How much are you projected to lose each week in your MFP settings?
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda stalled too right now but I've done level 30DS1&2 for a while then level 2&3 for a while just to step it up
  • 4summer38
    Options
    I think it sounds reasonable. If you keep tracking and exercising like you have been. Good luck!
  • ms_tris
    ms_tris Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think it's doable. How much are you moving around the rest of the day (not the 20 minutes with JM)? I've found that increasing your activity during "non-exercise" times helps so much. :)
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 165lb, current weight is 143lb (so around your current weight and goal weight for summer). I started watching what I eat mid september so it's been about 4 months, in that time I have lost 22 lbs. So as you can see, -25lbs could definately be achieved in 5 months :) HOWEVER as you get closer to your goal weight the weight loss might not come off as fast so just keep that in mind :)

I find I work best with smaller goals and so I've made a plan...
    be @- 19 by Jan 5 (odd number I know, I was just at -9 when one day I said "i'll loose 10 lbs by my anniversary)
    be @ -25 by Valentine's day
    be @ -30 by April 1st
    be @ -35 by June 1st.

I've spaced these out so each 5 lb section has a little more "time allowed" to account for it supposedly getting harder as I get closer to my goal weight :)

So short answer... yes I think it's possible :) Hope this helps!

EDIT: obviously my plan is to loose another 15 lbs by June 1st, but the same type of mini goals/challenges might work for you just alter the goal numbers or dates :)
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I have lesser goals. It depends on how you will feel if you don't get there. Being at that intense level for that long is hard.
    Not saying you won't make it. Why not be easier on yourself and take a bit more time.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    It's reasonable. I started out at 172 in July. I'm down to 143 now. I don't think you need to push faster than that. If you do you risk more LBM loss.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 165lb, current weight is 143lb (so around your current weight and goal weight for summer). I started watching what I eat mid september so it's been about 4 months, in that time I have lost 22 lbs. So as you can see, -25lbs could definately be achieved in 5 months :) HOWEVER as you get closer to your goal weight the weight loss might not come off as fast so just keep that in mind :)

I find I work best with smaller goals and so I've made a plan...
    be @- 19 by Jan 5 (odd number I know, I was just at -9 when one day I said "i'll loose 10 lbs by my anniversary)
    be @ -25 by Valentine's day
    be @ -30 by April 1st
    be @ -35 by June 1st.

I've spaced these out so each 5 lb section has a little more "time allowed" to account for it supposedly getting harder as I get closer to my goal weight :)

So short answer... yes I think it's possible :) Hope this helps!

EDIT: obviously my plan is to loose another 15 lbs by June 1st, but the same type of mini goals/challenges might work for you just alter the goal numbers or dates :)

This is Great!! Thank you - I sat down with a calendar last night and charted out some mini goals. The other positive thing about doing that is I could see what I aim to weigh by certain landmark dates (1st birthday of my baby for example, I hope to be 150 - which is what I weighed when I got married 6 years ago...and I liked how I looked that day! :) )

Anyway, thanks for offering up this idea! the mini goals are posted on a sticky on my computer!