30 day shred failure

Options
Well today was tough took my before pictures which was a huge depressing mess

How did I get here?

Put on the video listened to Jillian gave it my all and made it 15 minutes before I gave up

Couldn't do the push-ups at all

Amazed myself with the jumping jacks

Hoping tomorrow is better because today was a total failure :(

Replies

• Janey142
    Janey142 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You did the first half well done!! :) its such a hard dvd i'm doing it myself and i PROMISE it gets easier. even if it took you 10 days to manage the whole level 1 routine (it wont) you would STILL have improved your cardio, endurance and gained muscle. trust me after 30 days you WILL see a difference please don't get disheartened! anything you do from it is more than you do now and can only IMPROVE your body! the important thing is what you can EVERY DAY and will change your body for the better. good luck!!! xxx
  • Janey142
    Janey142 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    oh and the pushups are a nightmare my elbows crack and i can't do a single pushup just a few on my knees.. you can startby putting your feet elevated on some books or a small stool it helps you don't have to be able to do them right away.
  • stacey2525
    stacey2525 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks wishing I did the whole thing :( will try again tomorrow
  • bethanykf
    Options
    15 minutes is not a failure! you made it more then half way through. I have to modify some exercises - wall push ups instead of regular due to carpal & cubital tunnel, didesteps with arm movements instead of jumping jacks because I cant handle the high impact. Look st the positive - you got up and did something and tomorrow you'll get up and do a little more. hang in there!
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It's only a failure if you give up.

My honest suggestion would be to pick out a different workout that's slightly lower impact than 30 Day Shred and do IT for 30 days. Then on a set date you planned for, go back to 30 day shred.

If you'd rather, you can always try doing half of level one, taking a 10 minute break, and then doing the other half. Whatever works for you. As long as you keep moving and working towards your goals you'll see progress even if you aren't automatically great at everything you try.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If you did it today and gave it your all, and come back to it tomorrow and give it your all, then its certainly not a failure.
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    As long as you gave it your all then it's not a failure. You put the dvd in and did as much as you could which is great. I did 30 day shred before (never made it through the whole 30 days) and I had to modify some of the exercises. I felt like the 1st part took me forever cause I'm awful at pushups and don't think I'll get much better... but by the end of that part I could do a few more pushups then I used to be able to. Try doing 1 more each day or lasting through 1 more minute longer each day until you get through the whole thing. Good luck, you can do it!
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Start by doing your pushups against a wall. Then you can do them on the back of the couch at an incline, then the top of the coffee table, then you can move to the floor. Small steps and you'll be able to do it!
  • ZTazlor
    ZTazlor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's not a failure at all, you said it yourself that you'll try again tomorrow.

Quitting would be failure, trying is not!

Better luck tomorrow...you just need to do one more minute, or one more pushup to have improved. Keep moving forward! :D
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Give yourself credit- you did 15 minutes of a very tough DVD!! That is 15 minutes more than you did before. It WILL get easier, but it's not meant to be a cake walk. The sense of accomplishment and the changes you will see in your body will be amazing! There may be some parts you struggle with always. That's OK. Look for improvement, not perfection. I've been working out regularly and pushing myself for the last 2 years. There are still things I struggle to do, but every time I try them, I do one more, lunge a little lower, something. There may be people at the gym that can do better than me, but that's not what I'm focused on, I'm working to improve ME, one push-up, one mile, one bicep curl at a time.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! You moved:). Keep going. All the comments here are correct. If you do wall push-ups or another chest exercise you will be doing push-ups soon or eventually:). In the meantime, all movement is exercise, 15 minutes of a video, a walk around the block , as long as you are moving you are moving ahead. Another thing you can try is having five minute breaks in the video, or simplifying things so that you finish the whole video but its easier. Keep going and while you do be proud of how successful you are:). !!!!
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    If you watch the section where she tells you how to do the program Jillian recommends doing 30ds every other day, not every day.

I suggest keep doing what you can, take a break when you need it, and do the best you can. That is success, not failure.

Congrats!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    maybe tomorrow, if you feel like giving up, pause it for a couple minutes then finish up, you'll get better the more you do it. when I started p90x I could only do the first 20 minutes, now I do all 60, it just takes hard work and never give up
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Getting off the couch and trying something new is my idea of success, not failure. Keep at it and try to do more each time out.

People think of me as a big strong guy now but when i started i had to call across the gym so somebody could pull an 85lb bar off my chest. We all have to start somewhere.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    be proud of yourself that your putting yourself out there and trying something new - this is not a failure.

be proud of yourself for today, and give it your all again tomorrow. if you stick with it, and get to the end.. this will be a distant memory :)
  • stacey2525
    stacey2525 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone can't wait till this is a distant memory
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Any time spent moving, trumps time spent on the couch. The goal is to do more/better every day. Let me tell you something about Jillian and that 30d shred.

I started on MFP over a year ago and purchased the 30DS. There I was, in the living room, smartly attired in my spandex capris and tank top, bits of me oozing out here and there. Plunked in the DVD and stared at the glaring, loud, abrasively wonderful mess, that is Jillian. I felt the thrill and I felt like a bad *kitten*, moving like she told me. Then came the jumping jacks. I could do them, not a problem, but every time I did, I heard clapping. I whipped around, positive my kids or husband came home early and caught me exercising. Nope. No one. Huh. Resumed workout. Cycled around to the jumping jacks again.

*clap* *clap* *clap*.

Again I whipped around - NO ONE THERE. What the hades? Until...until I finally put it together. It only happened during the jumping jacks. I did a few practice ones, facing into the room instead of the TV, to make sure no one was there. Slow jumping jack after slow jumping jack...nothing. So I sped up. Did them with authority.

*clap**clap**clap*.

Ahhhhhh. There's the rub. Or rather the butt. It was my butt clapping while jumping. My *kitten* was so epic it applauded whilst I exercised.

I was humiliated. Sincerely. But then, I decided it was me or pride. I simply couldn't afford to NOT do it. I am kind of known for picking embarrassing and weird exercises, I race walk, too. I kept going. I got very good at the 30DS and went on to Ripped in 30 and now I lift heavy in the gym and I am signed up for my first Spartan Sprint. I AM a bad *kitten* now.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    Did you get off the couch?

Then it wasn't a failure. Do it again tomorrow.

My problem with the 30DS was I got bored with it after two days, and Jillian Michaels annoys the crap out of me.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. It took me a week or so to make through the whole 27 minutes. You an do it. It does get better.
  • ChunkyMonkey207
    ChunkyMonkey207 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Just try again tomorrow..
    I'm doing 30DS too..After the first day,I could barely WALK the next day! I hurt so bad...Tomorrow,I start level 3..I've lost so many inches..I wish I had measured!!

Baby steps,baby steps...you WILL get there!!