heart rate monitors?

Options
i want to get one, but i don't have a lot of extra money to spend. so i was wondering if there was a cheap one that does the job? or if i should splurge to get a good one?

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I splurged on mine, because I saw it as a good investment...and I figured if I was going to spend $200+ on something, I was not going to allow myself to slack on my working out.

I guess it depends on what you want it for though? Are you looking for it to just show calories burned and heart-rate? Are you interested in running and calculating your speed/distance? Personal fitness coach?
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    I bought a Timex HRM with chest strap at amazon for $50 (free shipping) and love it!
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I too, am on a budget and I bought a 30 dollar HRM at Walmart. It worked one day and then gave me completely different results the next two days. It also wouldn't get me my heartrate when I was running.. so, needless to say it was NOT worth the 30 bucks.

Instead, I returned it and "splurged" on a Polar HRM. I have read all over this site that they are very dependable and worth the extra money. I just bought the Polar FT4 for 85.99 last night at the Sports Authority. I will be using it today and can get you an update. But I have read several other users on here use this very one and like it. It has a strap that you wear under your breasts with a transmitter that sends the information to the watch piece. I played with it last night and its easy to navigate around the watch functions and seems much more substantial than the cheapy one.

So far, I would recommend spending a bit more. Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way with HRMs that you get what you pay for. Cheaper = lower quality
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Splurge. For sure.
    I bought the Polar F6 ($99) and I love it. I bought my husband a cheaper one, an Omron brand for around $50 and it's just not consistent and doesn't show calories burned, etc. Doesn't communicate with the machines at the gym either. I was very disappointed.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I splurged on mine, because I saw it as a good investment...and I figured if I was going to spend $200+ on something, I was not going to allow myself to slack on my working out.

I guess it depends on what you want it for though? Are you looking for it to just show calories burned and heart-rate? Are you interested in running and calculating your speed/distance? Personal fitness coach?

i mostly just want it to show my calories burned. i'm not much of a runner haha
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    I got a sportline with a chest strap at walmart for $48. It's accurate, has more features than I need, and communicates with the machines at the gym. I contacted them to find out how much a replacement strap is, and they'll send me one for $5. I'm a happy camper : ) side note: the watch is definitely not cute and stylish, LOL
  • jillybeanruns
    Options

i mostly just want it to show my calories burned. i'm not much of a runner haha

Then I would say go make a tiny splurge and go with a Polar. The F6/F7 or the FT4 would probably be ideal for you and around $100. You can find more information on Polar's product website: http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/F6
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I splurged and got this one by Timex - http://www.timex.ca/IRONMAN-RACE-TRAINER-Digital-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Midsize-SK5K218-P223C43.aspx?l=e. I absolutely love it!! It's easy to navigate and I find it very accurate. And, the watch is cute which is a plus because I can wear it for everyday wear if I'd like.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt say I splurged, but I have a Polar RS100 and love it. Plus all of the machines at the gym I go to all sync up with Polar.

Forgot to add it costs $90
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your advice! i think i'm going to go with the Polar FT4 :smile:
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    thanks for all your advice! i think i'm going to go with the Polar FT4 :smile:

Excellent choice
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar RS100 too. It works great for me. It''s really nice to have a more accurate idea of how many calories i'm burning when I work out, especially when I'm lifting weights. The syncing up with the heart rate monitors on the gym's cardio equipment was a nice added bonus. I was kind of freaked out at first cuz I didn't expect it and didn't know what was going on haha it's nice not to have to hold those stupid heart rate sensors.
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    Polar synching up with the machines is such a sweet feature!! I love my FT60!
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    I have the Polar RS100 too. It works great for me. It''s really nice to have a more accurate idea of how many calories i'm burning when I work out, especially when I'm lifting weights. The syncing up with the heart rate monitors on the gym's cardio equipment was a nice added bonus. I was kind of freaked out at first cuz I didn't expect it and didn't know what was going on haha it's nice not to have to hold those stupid heart rate sensors.

Yep....for weight lifting was the main reason I bought mine, but now I use it all the time.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way with HRMs that you get what you pay for. Cheaper = lower quality

Not necessarily, I bought a reebok XT for $40 on ebay and it's been working like a dream for the past 2 years.
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    Just stumbled upon a sale on Polar while searching for my Foot Pod.

FT4 is $89.95 with free two-day shipping.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar/All.html