Ideas for Breakfast Sandwiches

Options
On pinterest I found a guide on how to make, and freeze, your own breakfast sandwiches! I love this idea because as a single mother I have absolutely no time in the mornings to cook food! I just made my first batch and I used up the last frozen biscuits I had on hand, some Canadian bacon, oven poached egg, and half slice of cheese. According to the food diary these are 295 calories not to shabby!

Anyone have any other ideas on what ingredients to use to make these? I want to make healthy ones with veggies so any recipes or suggestions would be loved!

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I like Tortilla wraps.

1 wrap - 80
    1 slice bacon - 35
    1 egg -80
    Diced pepper and onions ~ 15

210 calories and you can freeze them for a week. Pop in the microwave for 1 minute. You can make these with sausage too.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I was thinking along the lines of adding green pepper or onion or other veggies to the eggs. Maybe scrambled and then use a tortillas or english muffin. They do have low cal sandwhich thins you can use too. These do sound better than the frozen ones in a box from the store that's for sure!
  • lindseyrh
    Options
    I have done these on 100 calorie english muffins with turkey sausage, egg, and cheese. I bet adding veggies like cooked spinach, mushrooms, and peppers in with the egg would be awesome! Just be careful about the cheese you use...some can get oily when re-heated. American tends to melt best.
  • roadtoabettersteph80
    Options
    I like Tortilla wraps.

1 wrap - 80
    1 slice bacon - 35
    1 egg -80

210 calories and you can freeze them for a week. Pop in the microwave for 1 minute. You can make these with sausage too.

These sound delicious!!!! I can't wait to try them!

35122089.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I use 100-calorie whole grain sandwich thins, and egg, spinach, tomato, sometimes avocado, sometimes a little cheese.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My fav is :

-2 slice whole wheat multi cereal bread ( no sugar added) or whole wheat english muffin toasted
    -1/2 cup egg whites (done in Microwave in 60 seconds)
    -1 laughing cow triangle cheese

240 cals!

Often I will add a slice of turkey bacon done in the microwave. YUM!!
  • raegan1215
    Options
    i have these in my freezer all the time for a quick breakfast for my husband or i.

i use high fiber whole grain english muffins, eggs that i bake in muffin tins in the oven and a slice of american cheese on each. wrap 'em in foil and put them in the freezer.

sometimes i add green peppers and onion to them or use different kinds of cheese on them.
  • aminer31
    aminer31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I like Tortilla wraps.

1 wrap - 80
    1 slice bacon - 35
    1 egg -80

yum
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    While it is not actually a breakfast sandwich, I like to make a big batch of waffles: per serving it is
    3 egg whites
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup oats
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    blend it all together then cook in the waffle iron.

The other day, I blended spinach in with it for good results. (it turned the waffles green, but didn't alter the flavor.)

Then I freeze the extra servings, put them in ziplock bags, then reheat in the toaster when I want to eat them. Serve with 1/4 cup sugar free syrup.
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    So many yummy ideas! I can't wait to try them out! I think I will make a wrap next with peppers, mushrooms, eggs, and cheese. When making the wraps do you toast or heat up the tortilla at all?
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Spinach works best on fresh sandwiches, it releases more moisture after freezing and makes the eggs watery. I use either 100 cal eng muffins or tortilla wraps and add peppers and onions with turkey sausage when I freeze. When I make them fresh, I add spinach, mushroom, jalapeno and tomato. Left over skirt steak makes a really good sandwich!
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Egg white and oat waffles sounds really interesting. Can you give us more details? Whole rolled oats? Steel cut? Whir it all in the blender? Powder the oats first? How long do you cook it in the waffle iron? It sounds like more of an omlette (egg-y) than a waffle (bread-like) - am I wrong? Thanks for sharing!
  • road2goal
    road2goal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is great. My mornings are very busy and it never occurred to me to freeze a breakfast sandwich. Can't wait to cook up a batch now. I'll use egg whites, chicken bacon or turkey sausage, veggies and lite cheddar.
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This is great. My mornings are very busy and it never occurred to me to freeze a breakfast sandwich. Can't wait to cook up a batch now. I'll use egg whites, chicken bacon or turkey sausage, veggies and lite cheddar.

I had some 2% Borden Sharp singles on hand and I used half a slice (just so the egg and ham stick together lol) and it was ony 25 calories! I will need to buy more!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Egg white and oat waffles sounds really interesting. Can you give us more details? Whole rolled oats? Steel cut? Whir it all in the blender? Powder the oats first? How long do you cook it in the waffle iron? It sounds like more of an omlette (egg-y) than a waffle (bread-like) - am I wrong? Thanks for sharing!

It comes out just like regular waffles. Cook it the same as you would a regular waffle, You can add a little oil to it, but they work for me with just a little Pam. You can also make pancakes that way, but you would have to heat those in a microwave. I usually use old fashioned oats, but have used steel cut before. I believe steel cut, you would only use a quarter cup, and they don't work as well. I also add cinnamon, and blueberries, sometimes, for blueberry waffles. I usually double the recipe, then blend it all for 2 servings, then repeat for any additional waffles.
  • kfuller27
    kfuller27 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Although it's not a complete sandwich since I only eat it on one piece of bread, my latest obsession is a piece of 12 grain light bread toasted with either a little hummus or avocado spread on it, topped with a scrambled egg, 2 pieces of turkey bacon and a slice of tomato! So good!
  • xatannerx
    xatannerx Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I made these homemade egg "McMuffins" for the first time tonight. They keep up to a week in the fridge and freeze well. My diary puts them at 180 calories. I add hot sauce to mine. Options are endless!

Here is the recipe: http://www.amyskitchencreations.blogspot.com/2012/05/eggs-for-breakfast-sandwiches.html?m=1

6s9bpk.jpg

2qxq2j7.jpg
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Bagel thin
    Spinash
    Egg whites
    Feta
    Red onion
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    totally going to do the muffin pan thing!!
  • RemaJoy
    RemaJoy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've made them before, and they're fantastic!