No excercise?

Options
Hello everyone!

I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend!

Previously, I've asked if 1100 calories+1 hour exercise was unhealthy. From the community input I determined I was eating too little especially for my weight. (148 ibs, 5'4) Now, I'm at another dilemma, I'm still eating too little and I'm wondering if I should be exercising. I ate about 1100 calories today. I did a little bit of yoga but should I get my daily does of cardio and get on the elliptical? Because I can't eat at my school's cafeteria today, (My meal plans don't include the weekends) all I've eaten was a 6 inch subway with 2 bowls of cereal (Special K original) and yogurt. I will eat more (and healthier!) tomorrow but for now, what is everyone's input on me exercising on a 1100 calorie day? If it helps I also ate a vitamin supplement.

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I'm hardly the expert..but i've read through these forums a bunch. this is what you'll hear. That mfp lowest setting for calorie intake is 1200...if you exercise ..you should add those calories to that total and eat those back to be healthy and not wreck your metabolism and feed your body. LIke my calorie setting is 1650..when i do an hour on the elipitical.. mfp adds 710 calories to that total..I need to eat all of those or most of those..and I will lose steady toward my goal weight.

So..you're not eating enough... I you eat 1100...and do an hour of eliptical...that means your body is surviving on fewer than 500 calories a day. you'll find yourself losing at first..then stalling..then having to starve yourself in confusion.

I advise that you read around the forums and learn a few things.. I don't have the links.. but maybe some others who have them will chime in and help you out.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Previously, I've asked if 1100 calories+1 hour exercise was unhealthy. From the community input I determined I was eating too little especially for my weight. (148 ibs, 5'4) Now, I'm at another dilemma, I'm still eating too little and I'm wondering if I should be exercising. I ate about 1100 calories today. I did a little bit of yoga but should I get my daily does of cardio and get on the elliptical? Because I can't eat at my school's cafeteria today, (My meal plans don't include the weekends) all I've eaten was a 6 inch subway with 2 bowls of cereal (Special K original) and yogurt. I will eat more (and healthier!) tomorrow but for now, what is everyone's input on me exercising on a 1100 calorie day? If it helps I also ate a vitamin supplement.

No don't exercise whilst you are starving your body of nutrients that just risks going into a state of stress. Throw the Special K in the trash, it's junk. There are a ton of threads from other students about eating healthy on a budget or without a refrigerator, it would be worth hunting those out. A multi is not a substitute for good food.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't exercise if you're not going to eat afterwards if all you've had is 1100. When I exercise I usually don't eat back all of the calories I burned, but I do eat back at least half.
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Hello everyone!

No don't exercise whilst you are starving your body of nutrients that just risks going into a state of stress. Throw the Special K in the trash, it's junk. There are a ton of threads from other students about eating healthy on a budget or without a refrigerator, it would be worth hunting those out. A multi is not a substitute for good food.

Thank you for the advice! Especially about the part about searching other students on a budget out! I will go take a look at those right away! :)
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    No, you shouldn't exercise if you're not going to eat afterwards if all you've had is 1100. When I exercise I usually don't eat back all of the calories I burned, but I do eat back at least half.
    That sounds like something I should do as well! What do you eat to get those calories you lost back? There's a lot of junk food at the student store so I usually end up getting nothing to eat.
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    I'm hardly the expert..but i've read through these forums a bunch. this is what you'll hear. That mfp lowest setting for calorie intake is 1200...if you exercise ..you should add those calories to that total and eat those back to be healthy and not wreck your metabolism and feed your body. LIke my calorie setting is 1650..when i do an hour on the elipitical.. mfp adds 710 calories to that total..I need to eat all of those or most of those..and I will lose steady toward my goal weight.

So..you're not eating enough... I you eat 1100...and do an hour of eliptical...that means your body is surviving on fewer than 500 calories a day. you'll find yourself losing at first..then stalling..then having to starve yourself in confusion.

I advise that you read around the forums and learn a few things.. I don't have the links.. but maybe some others who have them will chime in and help you out.
    Thank you for the advice and yes I've gotten much help from my other question and around the forums. :)