TDEE?

Options
Today I learned a new term: TDEE. I read the road map post and another, but they flew over my head. I think I got the general idea, but not enough for it to do me any good.

I went here: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

The results were: BMR: 1651 (MFP says 1641) Activity: 585 and Total: 2236

***Where I'm unsure is what to do with those numbers.***

I have my goals set to 1000 calories a day. Before anyone flips out, I've heard it all before, I've been here a while, I KNOW. Instead of wasting your breath on telling me about starvation mode, I'm looking for someone who can help me understand what those numbers up there say I should really be eating to lose weight. And don't get me wrong, I am losing weight by doing this, but I've read enough to know that if I keep up 1000 a day (even if I have extra on the weekends to get it up) I'm going to stall. I'd like to be educated before that happens so I can do it right.

Replies

• xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Also, if it matters, I've got 30-40lbs to go before I reach my final goal.
  • xLyric
    Options
    I forgot to add: What's confusing me the most is the stuff saying to eat AT LEAST your BMR.

My BMR is 1651. MFP says to eat at least 1200 to lose. I don't understand. I just really can't comprehend how eating MORE, especially that much more, means you lose weight, unless you're exercising, which I'm not.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    You should never eat below your BMR # , That is what you need just to live. Eating at your TDEE # is to maintain and very good to reset your metabolism if you have eaten at a very low cal diet. It is recommended to only cut 10 to 20% from your TDEE # to lose weight. There is a group here EM2WL (eat more 2 weigh less ) where you can get alot of info or google it for their website.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You're close to goal, so I would subtract 500 per day instead of 1000. That gives you 1736 calories per day. Otherwise, you'll be eating 1236, and that usually doesn't satisfy people who are exercising.

Once you get even closer, do the math again and subtract 250 per day instead of 500. That gives you half a pound per week.

Slow and steady wins the race and keeps you full of fuel.

Most people re-calculate every 5-10 pounds.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate - it is the number of calories they would feed you if your were in a coma in a hospital because it is the minimum number of calories necessary to support healthy organ function.

TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) takes into account your daily acitivy (because activity burns calories, even just doing laundry, etc) and sets a number for you to maintain your current weight. If you want to lose weight, you eat between your BMR number and your TDEE number - most people I know do a 20% cut in the TDEE number for weight loss.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    2236-20%=1788

Try eating at this level for a couple of months (not just a few days) and you should see the scale start to drop. It may climb a little initially, but that's only temporary. And remember to make GOOD food choices! Don't just eat a big mac every day to hit goal ;)
  • xLyric
    Options
    cubbies, I am not close to goal. I am a little more than halfway there, but I've still got 30-40 to lose. What are you subtracting from? This is what's confusing, some people want you to eat below and some want above.

Why does MFP set it below? MFP seems to think that you need to subtract from your BMR to lose. My body does not need 1700 calories to live or I'd have been dead a long time ago.
  • determinedbutlazy
    Options
    cubbies, I am not close to goal. I am a little more than halfway there, but I've still got 30-40 to lose. What are you subtracting from? This is what's confusing, some people want you to eat below and some want above.

Why does MFP set it below? MFP seems to think that you need to subtract from your BMR to lose. My body does not need 1700 calories to live or I'd have been dead a long time ago.

Because MFP expects you to log every bit of exercise (walking, cleaning, daily stuff as well as workouts) in order for you to eat those calories back and maintain a sane calorie level. I know you don't believe it, but I've been eating at TDEE-20% after a plateau of a few weeks, and I've been dropping 2lbs a week. I eat around 1800 cals a day and it really works.
  • determinedbutlazy
    Options
    Also, our goals are VERY similar (I started at 238 and my first goal is 170) and we've both lost almost the same amount! If you want to add me as a friend and see how I do things, please do, I love having friends with similar goals who I can drag over to the dark side.

We have cookies.

That we are allowed to EAT.
  • xLyric
    Options
    Just for the cookies then, haha.

I don't know. I know that I'm not going to stay with 1000, but I wasn't anyway. It was mainly to jump start and see a result fast since I took a break and needed some motivation to keep on with it all. I think I'll give it another week at 1000, then 1100 for a couple of weeks, etc, and see what happens. If I get to 1600 or whatever and I'm not gaining or plateauing I might start to believe it all.

If I just jumped from 1000 to 1600 I would balloon, and nothing anyone says can convince me otherwise. I'm not saying anyone's wrong, I'm saying that my mind refuses to believe it.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Since you say you have been here a while, you know that there are two ways of looking at this. MFP expects you to be exercising and eating those calories back and you said yourself that you know eventually you are going to stall because you are eating too little, especially if you aren't eating your exercise calories back.

This is where the TDEE method comes in. It is a different way of looking at weight loss. What cubbies and Determined are telling you is that you must eat above your BMR but be subtracting 15 to 20% from your TDEE which they have done for you. Listen to what they said and set your calories to ~1700 and do not eat your exercise calories back.

I was stuck and went to the TDEE method and weight is slowly but steadily coming off. I must note that I am an old(er) lady (harder to lose weight as you get older) and this is working for me so it will work for you! ;-)
  • xLyric
    Options
    Since you say you have been here a while, you know that there are two ways of looking at this. MFP expects you to be exercising and eating those calories back and you said yourself that you know eventually you are going to stall because you are eating too little, especially if you aren't eating your exercise calories back.

This is where the TDEE method comes in. It is a different way of looking at weight loss. What cubbies and Determined are telling you is that you must eat above your BMR but be subtracting 15 to 20% from your TDEE which they have done for you. Listen to what they said and set your calories to ~1700 and do not eat your exercise calories back.

I was stuck and went to the TDEE method and weight is slowly but steadily coming off. I must note that I am an old(er) lady (harder to lose weight as you get older) and this is working for me so it will work for you! ;-)

And don't eat them back? But if I set it to 1700, and exercised 500 off, I'd be netting 1200 still. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to understand this website's logic, haha. Why not eat 1200 and not exercise? How is that different?
  • determinedbutlazy
    Options
    OK, for example, I do slim in 6 every day and run 2-3 miles every other day (on average)
    I eat ~1800 cals a day NO MATTER WHAT.
    So on days I run and work out, I net lower (about 1200) but on days I don't run or work out I net almost the whole 1800 cals. This means my calories average out over the week.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options

And don't eat them back? But if I set it to 1700, and exercised 500 off, I'd be netting 1200 still. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to understand this website's logic, haha. Why not eat 1200 and not exercise? How is that different?
    Yes, that's true. But if you don't exercise at all, then your TDEE is lower and the amount you eat (TDEE-20%) won't be 1700 anymore.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    This website doesn't know what your body fat % is, or how active you are, or what you are doing. All it knows is that if you are dead set on extreme weight loss, that if you eat under 1200 calories for too long you will need to go to a hospital.

MFP does the least amount of math possible to give you a number. If you do the math yourself you are going to be much more likely to succeed.

I am 5'3" and I hardly ever eat less than 1800 calories. I have never had issues losing weight. I am still dropping. I ate 2100 calories on Saturday since I exercised off over 600 and didn't want to go under my BMR. I lost .2 lb.

You are going to lose weight at a super low amount of calories. But you are also going to stall, feel like crap, and then gain all the weight back. Then you'll be back on this website posting a new thread asking what you did wrong.

Just do it right the first time and save yourself the trouble.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You should never eat below your BMR # , That is what you need just to live. Eating at your TDEE # is to maintain and very good to reset your metabolism if you have eaten at a very low cal diet. It is recommended to only cut 10 to 20% from your TDEE # to lose weight. There is a group here EM2WL (eat more 2 weigh less ) where you can get alot of info or google it for their website.
    Thank you for posting this I needed to hear about this too. Will look EM2WL tomorrow.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options

You said your TDEE was 2236 with exercise so that is what the others are using for the calculations. Yes, you could just eat 1200 and not exercise... that is up to you but then your TDEE would not be the same number without the exercise. It would then be 1700.

As to being argumentative, using the TDEE is not following MFP's logic or method. It is an alternative method where you set your own goals and calorie counts.
  • xLyric
    Options

Yes, that's true. But if you don't exercise at all, then your TDEE is lower and the amount you eat (TDEE-20%) won't be 1700 anymore.

Wait. Wait. I thought I had calculated my TDEE (BMR+Activity cals) with the fact that I don't exercise already in mind. I got that final number because I put very light activity levels, and that was purely because of school activity. Now I'm confused again.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    This website doesn't know what your body fat % is, or how active you are, or what you are doing. All it knows is that if you are dead set on extreme weight loss, that if you eat under 1200 calories for too long you will need to go to a hospital.

MFP does the least amount of math possible to give you a number. If you do the math yourself you are going to be much more likely to succeed.

I am 5'3" and I hardly ever eat less than 1800 calories. I have never had issues losing weight. I am still dropping. I ate 2100 calories on Saturday since I exercised off over 600 and didn't want to go under my BMR. I lost .2 lb.

You are going to lose weight at a super low amount of calories. But you are also going to stall, feel like crap, and then gain all the weight back. Then you'll be back on this website posting a new thread asking what you did wrong.

Just do it right the first time and save yourself the trouble.

^^^^ THIS!!!!!
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This is what I love about MFP. I had a hard time for almost 2 week now because I didn't understand. And everyone helps out so much with these post. Have a great evening.