College Student looking to lose 40+ lbs

Options
Hi all,

So, let's start. I've been overweight for most of my 20 years on earth. Although I was adopted I still eat like my adoptive family has taught me. My family is composed of French Canadian/Germans on my mothers side and pure Italians on my fathers side. It's not hard to imagine that over eating is prevalent. My mother and father have both been overweight for a lot of their lives but my mother has been battling with it for her entire life. A few years ago my mother resorted to a gastric bypass surgery as her only option to lose weight. She has lost a lot of weight but she plateaued quite quickly and hasn't been able to lose/gain anymore weight. I've always known that I should lose the extra weight and in high school I was on the weight lifting team and the junior varsity baseball team. Soon though I got a job and slipped back into unhealthy habits that have packed on pounds. I started college in the fall of 2011 and since then I've sported a 3.97 gpa and have joined a fraternity. This has attributed greatly to my social and intellectual growth but my physical growth has suffered. I've never been able to motivate myself to lose the weight as just ignoring it was easier. This winter break I've experienced scary heart palpitations and some minor chest pain/discomfort. Since experiencing this I've essentially woken up to the scary fact that this is my one life and one chance to be happy and healthy. I know that I need to lose weight and I hope that this website will help make it happen. I have a strong support group at school in the form of my fraternity and now I have this website as well. Just to make it clear, I'm a male 5'10.5 in tall(was always told I'd be 6' tall...) and weigh 268 lbs. Cheers.