realization

Options
Like many of you I've been on this path of healthy eating and exercise since the new year. I am 22 years old and have about 15lbs to lose. This being said I am also not patient and have always been one of those people who eats 1200 calories, is grumpy and unhappy, then I get defeated and give up.

In the past couple of days I have realized, thanks to many insightful posts on MFP, that eating 1200 calories isn't the way to go. It isn't a magic number that will solve all of my problems.

Today my mom brought me home a burrito from Qdoba for lunch. A month ago, I would have been thrilled and enjoyed every bite of that burrito. Today, I was a little worried about how many calories it would be, how long of a workout i'd have to do today, and if this would stall my weight loss. A few minutes later I was reading posts on here about upping calories and I realized something.

One unhealthy meal, over the course of about a week of healthy eating, is not going to have a major effect on me. A month ago I would be eating those unhealthy meals almost once a day, or at least once every other day. I think that I can applaud myself for making good decisions, avoiding temptation, and being dedicated to my healthy lifestyle.

So if you are someone who ate or drank more than you wanted to this weekend just think about how far you have come. One day isn't going to ruin all of the progress you've made so far. You also have the power to make better choices tomorrow. Don't feel guilty, take it as a learning experience and get back on the healthy train tomorrow. :]

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that note because I blew it today. I'm still under my calorie goal, but barely. I've been driving my family nuts with the calorie counting.
  • amywamy555
    amywamy555 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too this weekend. Felt awful about it all night, but then realised today is a new day :)
  • SunshineDecember
    SunshineDecember Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    thanks for that :) Had a bit of a rough weekend as well, and I definitely needed to be reminded of this. It can be so easy to get caught up in counting calories down to the last, and opposite going crazy and eating every thing in sight. It's so important to remember that this is a life time journey to reach health, not just a quick fix, and moderation is the way to go :)
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Now I'm craving Q'doba's.

And yeah, I blew it this weekend, but that's ok. I also worked out for the second time since having my 4th child 3 weeks ago. Nothing strenuous, but I haven't ever bounded up and gotten my motivation that quickly after having a child, ever.