Increasing my calories...how many...how often?

Options
So...after reading all of the wonderful info here on MFP, I have come to the realization that I too, need to increase my calories. Like so many of you, I started off at 1200 calories and was doing great 'til about a month ago. I recently increased my calories to 1340. After doing the calculations, I came up with a BMR OF 1423...and my TDEE is 1948. If I minus 20%, that gives me 1,559 calories daily. I hope I have done all of the calculations correctly. I got slightly different figures for every site that I used. Anyway...can someone tell me how much and how often I need to up my calories? I am really scared to up it all at once...I really don't want to gain any weight back. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• lachancegirl
    lachancegirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I feel the same as you. My numbers are exactly the same. I'm scared to up mine in case i put on weight!
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do them all at once if the amount is over a few hundred. I've been down that road and it's not fun watching your weight make sudden jumps so soon. I increase by 150 kcal per month until the goal is met. An increase of 100-200 isn't that big of a deal
  • FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of increasing mine, too. I'm doing mine slowly and my first increase was 100 calories. I'm thinking of doing another increase in February. (So, that'll be close to a month span or a little under.)
  • RunningTowardsFit
    Options
    As far as increasing your calories- pretty much any weight gain will be temporary- once your metabolism begins to boost again. So do not worry too much. I would encourage you to stay away from the scales for about a month or so.

If you are currently taking in 1200 calories worth of calories I would up it to either 1300 calories for a week or easily up to 1500. If you up it up to 1500 remain at this for a month. If you are taking in 1300 calories, do that for a week, then 1400 calories every day for the next week until you hit 1500. I would not weigh yourself from 2-4 weeks after ingesting a regular amount of calories (1500) for about 2-4 weeks. So in short, start today with eating more and weigh yourself in 4 weeks!

I hope this helps- I had to gain weight doing this, unfortunately I let it get out of control, but as long as you stay on task and manage your calories you should be great!