wow still only 9st 6!

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I haven't been on here since before xmas after making it from 12st 7 to 9st 6...I did get to 9st 3 to complete wii fit but then life happened.

My dog wasn't getting any younger and she helps me around the house, the assistance dog procedure was going to be long so I had to make a decision and found myself a young male border collie who I am training up to be my next helper.

The same week JJ (the puppy) arrived, an uncle died so had funeral to cope with as well as an 8 week old puppy, then the in-laws grandad was in hospital with double pneumonia and a clot on his lung. He was there xmas day which made xmas hectic with travelling to and from hospital xmas day, came out then had to go back in again.

My puppy is 4 months old in 2 days and now fully toilet trained and has basic commands and settled in with my older dog so now trying to get back to my exercise routine.

I was amazed to get on the scales this morning to find I'm still only 9st 6! I really thought I would have put loads back on. I haven't done any wii fit or exercise videos since before xmas, maybe running around after a puppy was exercise enough! I have managed the passive trainer bike maybe out of necessity as it does help with the involuntary muscle spasms much more than voluntary exercise (ie wii fit)

I am still on gluten free..I did try going back to regular wheat bread once I had reached my goal but after a year on gluten free I then got bad stomach cramps going back to regular wheat products so have remained on wheat free products.

With the balance belt on too I have been able to use crutches to go in garden with puppy and even kick a ball whilst balancing on the crutches which was impossible when I first started this journey. I can't stay on feet long and can't do it without the balance belt on but it's a big improvement for me to just be able to do that and been using the belt to walk around the house with the rollator more. I still use wheelchair outdoors - dog walking, shopping etc.

I would not have thought that possible when I started. I was overweight, have cerebellar Ataxia with Dystonia and could not go from sit to stand without pain and someone holding me up. I would not have believed I could have coped with a young puppy. I had increase in pain at first but my body coped with it much better. I still have regular rests but now I can stand up briefly and walk from room to room with rollator to relieve my back pain regularly throughout the day.

I still have mild involuntary movements but they are more manageable, enough that I can still use an iphone when before I was looking for other phones (large button T9 style) or switch access for iphone.

The most unexpected side effect is my speech has also shown some improvement when I had previously been issued with a communication aid as strangers had such difficulty understanding me when I could get words out and I rarely use it now. :)

so there you go I'm living proof diet and exercise can really turn your health around!

Replies

• Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic to read! So good to read it has helped with unexpected areas of your health and good for you for keeping the weight off during a busy time in your life. Very motivating!
  • mumreeder
    mumreeder Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Truly amazing story - thanks for sharing. What a great inspiration you are - with your health issues I bet there are a lot of others out there (with less or even no problems) that would have given up a long time ago. Well done you should be extremely proud of yourself.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!

I seem to be finding it easier to keep weight off on Gluten free so will stick with it as now found replacements for my favourites.

It's even harder finding gluten free dog food, but my puppy is also intolerant to grains! ..costing me a fortune with us both on special diets! :ohwell:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!