Gold and Silver rings leaving black marks on hand.

Options
I have been trying to find an answer for this forever.

Once in a while My rings leave black marks on my fingers. And if I take them off and drag them across any part of my skin, It leaves a black streak. Then out of the blue it will just stop doing it.
My grandma used to say it Meant you were lacking iron (but she said a lot of things a lot of the time that were just old tales)
I imagine it must be the metal reacting to the oils in your skin? But I wonder what makes it start and stop.
This happened to me yesterday and this morning, but I had a 7oz steak the night before, so you would think I had plenty of iron in my body. And then I just went to go show someone... and it stopped doing it again. LOL.

This would be a great mystery for me to solve. Does anyone know the answer???

Replies

• sharonlewis
    sharonlewis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've also been told that it meant you were lacking iron or you were anemic (same thing really) I come to believe it because when ever come across anyone with low iron or whatever we've tested the gold ring on face test.. it's always proven to be right!
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Acids will affect some people that way too. I used to work in jewelry, and whenever people have eaten alot of acidic foods like citrus fruits and tomatoes they would get the black marks from rings. It is the ph of your body reacting to the metals in the jewelry.
  • doyoga
    doyoga Posts: 20
    Options
    I also have always been told that it means your iron is low.
  • sydney91
    sydney91 Posts: 29
    Options
    This used to happen to me when I played the clarinet. The silver keys would rub against my hand and it would leave a black streak and it wouldn't do it to any one else. I've always had low iron, but not low enough to make me anemic. I'm not sure if that would be the answer or not...
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am anemic and this is ironic because the way my doc told me to tell if I needed and extra pill each day was to run my ring over my wrist. I would recommend having it tested.
  • tanyewest
    tanyewest Posts: 113
    Options
    I had never heard of this before, and as soon as I read this post I thought "I eat almost nothing with iron in it, let me try it" I wear two rings on my fingers, one gold, one silver. I just tried it on my hands, and it left black marks also!

Seriously need to get myself some iron tablets.

Thanks everyone.:flowerforyou:
  • luv2run4fun
    Options
    Interesting...I just noticed that with my wedding ring yesterday! It happens to me periodically and has for years. I have always thought it was hormonal--it seems to be very coincidental in the timing!!!
  • Crawline
    Crawline Posts: 1,028
    Options
    I've always believed its because you are lacking iron. I am anemic and my rings ALWAYS leave a black mark!!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is the ring itself..I paint clear finger nail polish on the inside and then your good;
  • adegonia
    adegonia Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Usually it's because you are having a reaction to one of the filler metals in it. I cannot wear silver because of the nickel that is in it. Gold only occationally turns me but I have no problem with white gold or stainless steel. All white gold has a rhodium plating over it (hence the white color) You may try that or eating more seaweed to alkalize your body if it is because you are acidic.