yoga?

Options
I have completed the C25K program & will be running my 1st 5K tomorrow. I have been so focused on getting ready for this race that I haven't really thought about any other kinds of exercise, but now that this deadline is almost behind me, I am thinking about branching out.

I have a Wii Fit, and was planning on adding yoga to my weekly exercise routine (I will still continue to run 4X a week), but after doing some reading on the Internet, I am a little unclear in the overall fitness benefit of yoga. I know it's great for breathing and stretching, etc, and that is great, but I do want to be sure that any exercise I invest time in helps me with my weight loss goals.

Is yoga a good choice for someone at this stage in the journey, or should I try something else? What are the benefits of yoga anyway?

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I use yoga as a running cool-down. Runners have notoriously inflexible lower bodies, and I want to stay limber.

I don't think the calorie-burn is great, and many don't really care about flexibility, that's why I use it as a cool-down, then I don't feel like I am 'wasting' a workout.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Oh, and good luck on your race!!!! :happy:
  • doyoga
    doyoga Posts: 20
    Options
    I love yoga and do it as often as I can. I find it not only helps with stretching and flexibility, but also with toning. A lot of the more challenging poses involve holding squats and other strong poses. I definitely recommend it.
  • rtrautmann
    Options
    Yoga is a great way to find your balance, I felt a lot more stable when I was doing it, and it made doing other exercises easier.
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    Yoga is amazing and extremely beneficial! Improves circulation, flexibility, strength, mental well-being, detoxifies the body, de-stresses, and it is great for healing sore body parts whether it be from injuries or just a stiff neck or back from sitting all day. I love yoga because it works your mind & body as one. Everyone can and should do yoga!!
  • Ahaverland
    Options
    Yoga is excellent for stretching, gaining flexibility and for the mental break yoga offers, it is one of the few exercises that prompt you to focus on your body ONLY and to mentally think about what your body is experiencing, it is great for stress relief, I'm not usually a 'meditating' type person but I have used yoga to help me through many life experiences that cause stress and depression, I am a honest believer!
  • erinsolesky
    erinsolesky Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am a huge believer in yoga for increasing flexibility, toning, rythmic breathing, healing injuries .... the list goes on and on. It is not a GREAT calorie burn, but the benefits are way beyond burning calories. It helps me with my stress level as well. Good luck!!
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    And yes, weight loss and muscle toning is a great by-product. You'd notice that in at least three weeks of regular practice.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I was a skeptic when I first tried it, but YOGA IS AWESOME!!!!!! It's great for strength, flexibility, and achieveing calmness.
  • afoley5
    afoley5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yoga is for many things, I love it because after a long workout I do it to get relax and stretch out my muscles. I have been kind of sore in my legs a bit before do yoga and after they feel sooo much better. I also did yoga for 2 weeks straight for bout 45 mins a day and lost a few sizes in my hips. I love it!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    If you increase your flexibility, you will increase your stride.

Try yoga for one month (3x a week) - try different kinds of yoga (at least four different kinds). If you still don't like, quit.
  • chattinthebox
    Options
    Well.. My diet dr. said its good for toning.. which if your losing weight and losing a lot of it. Its good to tone up some of that extra skin. ( So ya know you don't have all this weight loss and the skin just hanging there) You want to do some toning and firming exercise while doing your regular workout. When you run do you also carry weights??? That good toning for your arms... Yoga is great for toning your whole body though you might but probably won't see much weight loss in yoga you will see toning and some firming.