Crossfit for fat loss?

Options
Just started doing Crossfit 3-4 times per week, with one day a week dedicated to a long, intense running session. After one week of it, and an actual modification toward a better diet, I have actually gained 5 lbs :/ My trainers say they see this all the time, and that it's the shock of my muscles sucking up all the water they can. But still, I feel super huge!

I have a HRM and burn around 350-400 calories per class, which lasts anywhere from 15-45 minutes. I eat around 1200 calories per day, and my trainer said to change my ratio up to 55/40/10 (protein, carbs, fat). Sooo difficult trying to get that much protein into my diet :/

For those of you who don't know what crossfit is (the non-competitive classes, that is!), it's basically a combo of high intensity interval training, weights, and circuit training. It's very challenging and really cuts all of your energy out. I actually pulled a muscle last week too, ugh.

I was just wondering if any of you have had success with fat loss using crossfit... And if so, did you "bloat up" the first week into it?

Replies

• metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have never done Crossfit, but I am curious about it. I currently do circuit training with aerobic segments, so it may be something similar. I do not gain weight from workouts anymore, but my stomach will look kind of bloated a few hours after I finish. When I first started exercising, I gained four pounds the first week, from water alone!

I noticed that your calories are kind of low for someone so active. I started to burn out at 1200 calories and do much better when staggering between 1200 and 1500 calories per day. I need more food to sustain that intense exercise for multiple days over the week, and to keep cravings down. Hope that your program goes well, best wishes.
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have never done Crossfit, but I am curious about it. I currently do circuit training with aerobic segments, so it may be something similar. I do not gain weight from workouts anymore, but my stomach will look kind of bloated a few hours after I finish. When I first started exercising, I gained four pounds the first week, from water alone!

I noticed that your calories are kind of low for someone so active. I started to burn out at 1200 calories and do much better when staggering between 1200 and 1500 calories per day. I need more food to sustain that intense exercise for multiple days over the week, and to keep cravings down. Hope that your program goes well, best wishes.

Thanks- I am in the middle of figuring out how to trade carbs for protein, and it's left me a little empty on the calories :/ that and budget issues, lol. I'm a short person who is relatively sedentary aside from the workouts, so 1200 calories usually feels like enough for me.

Also props to your user name, I am doing a PhD in cognition and metacog is part of my research :)
  • devastation77
    Options
    My gym is starting a class of this soon, they're calling it Grit. When it gets going I'll be going along to try it.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you are burning that much, you should be eating more. 1200 calories/day is too low for the activities you do. I do crossfit too, the first 3 months, I gained 5 lbs and was eating at 1200. So I stopped doing crossfit for a month and still eating the same calories, but the weight didn't drop. I started doing crossfit again 2 weeks ago and eating at 1700-2000 calories/day and the weights are starting to fall off. If you are wondering, I am 5'3" at 133lbs. Hope this help
  • eevincheezburger
    Options
    If you are burning that much, you should be eating more. 1200 calories/day is too low for the activities you do. I do crossfit too, the first 3 months, I gained 5 lbs and was eating at 1200. So I stopped doing crossfit for a month and still eating the same calories, but the weight didn't drop. I started doing crossfit again 2 weeks ago and eating at 1700-2000 calories/day and the weights are starting to fall off. If you are wondering, I am 5'3" at 133lbs. Hope this help

Hmm... I'll think about bumping it up some. I'm 5'3" 135 (140 as of yesterday... ugh). It's nice to see I'm not the only one who bloated up immediately, haha. Are you seeing a difference in fat loss yet? Or just numbers?
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is right about why you are gaining the initial weight, don't worry about that at all. Remember the process is more important than the number on the scale, you know eating well and exercising is good for your body, so why should the number make you question that?

As for the diet, it is not uncommon for trainers to suggest that sort of breakdown. In my opinion it is too high in protein and too low in fat. You need more fat than this for proper physical and mental function. Something like 40P/30C/30F would be more balanced and easier to adhere to long term.

FYI, people will have different ideas on the importance of the macro split and what it should ideally be. Just try to keep protein and fat at >1g per lb and fat at around .35-.4g per lb, and fill the rest with whatever you like (more protein, fat or carbs) as a general guide.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is for fat loss
    Crossfit is for fitness
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is for fitness

^ This
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself for a month (or if you do, ignore the weight and concentrate on your body fat%). Instead, take measurements RIGHT NOW - both biceps, forearms, quads and calves (the body is not symmetrical), hips, belly, waist, bust and neck. Measure once a week (or more if you're really OCD like I can get) and you'll see you're not actually "gaining". It's fluid in your muscles.

I definitely think you should up your calories though - even for someone so little, with the workouts you're doing you should be on at least 1500 a day and still be in a decent deficit.

Good luck!
  • eevincheezburger
    Options
    Crossfit is for fitness

I understand that completely. Which is why I am trying to find a good combo. I'm assuming that crossfit will *help* with fat loss, as there seem to be varying opinions on that. Build muscle while losing fat. I'm also aware that one can still retain fat and be 'fit' for what crossfit calls for, which is not what I'm going for.
  • eevincheezburger
    Options
    Your trainer is right about why you are gaining the initial weight, don't worry about that at all. Remember the process is more important than the number on the scale, you know eating well and exercising is good for your body, so why should the number make you question that?

As for the diet, it is not uncommon for trainers to suggest that sort of breakdown. In my opinion it is too high in protein and too low in fat. You need more fat than this for proper physical and mental function. Something like 40P/30C/30F would be more balanced and easier to adhere to long term.

FYI, people will have different ideas on the importance of the macro split and what it should ideally be. Just try to keep protein and fat at >1g per lb and fat at around .35-.4g per lb, and fill the rest with whatever you like (more protein, fat or carbs) as a general guide.

It's so interesting to hear the different takes on the protein/carb/fat breakdown. Before I started really working out, my ratios were much different. I'm still such a noob at fueling with food that I'm having to completely re-vamp my nutrition to help me get through these crossfit workouts while still lowering my fat. I used to do "boot camps" like these back in high school and I was always shredded by 3 months into it.

I'm currently 24 and sitting at about 40% fat, which is no bueno.
  • taso42
    Options

Hmm you sure don't look it. How confident are you in this 40% number??
  • eevincheezburger
    Options

We took measurements at the beginning of crossfit... :( It's all in my gut area. But how confident am I in this number? I have no idea how to calculate it, so I'm just trusting the trainers.
  • taso42
    Options

We took measurements at the beginning of crossfit... :( It's all in my gut area. But how confident am I in this number? I have no idea how to calculate it, so I'm just trusting the trainers.

Look in the mirror and at this page and take a second opinion: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • wmoomoo
    Options

Hmm... I'll think about bumping it up some. I'm 5'3" 135 (140 as of yesterday... ugh). It's nice to see I'm not the only one who bloated up immediately, haha. Are you seeing a difference in fat loss yet? Or just numbers?

Yeah. I started at around 35% body fat and last time I checked, it's at 29%. Inches are down too. I want to get it to 21-24%, so i am only weighing myself once every 2 weeks. Just make sure you drink a lot of water during this time, and keep doing what you are doing. You will get there. :).
  • wmoomoo
    Options
    Oops, sorry double post
  • eevincheezburger
    Options

Look in the mirror and at this page and take a second opinion: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? That is crazy. According to those pics I should be in the 25%-ish area...
  • taso42
    Options

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? That is crazy. According to those pics I should be in the 25%-ish area...

That's what I figured, unless you're REALLY good with flattering photography :wink:

Always apply critical thinking and fact checking to what "trainers" tell you....
  • eevincheezburger
    Options

That's what I figured, unless you're REALLY good with flattering photography :wink:

Always apply critical thinking and fact checking to what "trainers" tell you....

Aughhhhh everything I know is a LIE! lol
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    There is no way from the look of your pic are you 40% BF, also 1200 calories are way too little. I can't comment on how you eat b/c your diary is closed. Also, I think you need a new trainer b/c the ratios are not a good fit.....Also, you won't build a lot of muscle eating at a dif. Fat loss will be mostly from what you eat and how much along with exercise. If you do crossfit and consume fast food or processed foods than no it won't help you with BF.