Eating More Frequently

Options
Saiava
Saiava Posts: 68 Member
I decided to start eating 5 small, evenly spaced "meals" instead of 3 bigger ones. I realize that eating 3 bigger meals for too long will result in my binging on junk food despite allowing myself to have the treats I want in moderation. I also realize I eat junk just because I want to eat, so I figured if I planned ahead on what I will eat throughout the day, that problem should be avoided.

Mind checking my diary for tomorrow (Monday), MFP? Is it good? Bad?

I plan on having decaf tea without sugar or cream/milk throughout the day, as well. :)

Anyone else eating smaller and more frequently? What has this done for you? Please, do tell! :D

Replies

• deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think its a good plan. Smaller and frequent meals works better for me! Also, I believe in eating junk or sweets in moderation. The fact is, at the moment it is difficult to remove the junk completely from my food. Hence if I try not to have it at all, I am more tempted but if I consume in moderation i.e, twice a month and a small piece of chocolate every now and then, I don't feel deprived and hence lesser the urge to binge!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I prefer the opposite, but as far as a general recommendation, I'd absolutely adjust your meal frequency to what best suits your lifestyle and preferences (satiety/etc).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency - if it helps adherence, then eat more often.

Diary - you are sometimes not logging and from the few days I looked at are often under your target, some days by quite a lot. So, log and eat to your target.
  • Saiava
    Saiava Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Diary - you are sometimes not logging and from the few days I looked at are often under your target, some days by quite a lot. So, log and eat to your target.

I was eating at 1200 calories but I recently increased that to 1500 which might be why it seems like I was under. And yes, I realize I haven't logged for the past few day. I have logged tomorrow already, and I would love feedback on that one. :)
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you.

I tried to 3 meals 3 snacks - would binge and hungry all the time.
    I tried 3 bigger meals no snacks - would binge and hungry all the time.

What works for me? Only really eating dinner, and then snacks between dinner and bed. (This is not set in stone, some days I'll have brekky/lunch but not usually) Only really having beverages throughout the day. I always feel full and satisfied. Will this work for you? Maybe, maybe not. But don't let what works for this person or that person make you feel bad if it's not working for you!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I was eating at 1200 calories but I recently increased that to 1500 which might be why it seems like I was under. And yes, I realize I haven't logged for the past few day. I have logged tomorrow already, and I would love feedback on that one. :)

Quick look at tomorrow:

Good:
    - protein
    - some fruits
    - mix of fats

Improve:
    - some veggies (possibly swap out the cheese and crackers with a salad)
    - try to get the fats up a little (you can average out over the week so the odd lowish day is fine).

Generally, not bad at all though.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I decided to start eating 5 small, evenly spaced "meals" instead of 3 bigger ones. I realize that eating 3 bigger meals for too long will result in my binging on junk food despite allowing myself to have the treats I want in moderation. I also realize I eat junk just because I want to eat, so I figured if I planned ahead on what I will eat throughout the day, that problem should be avoided.

Mind checking my diary for tomorrow (Monday), MFP? Is it good? Bad?

I plan on having decaf tea without sugar or cream/milk throughout the day, as well. :)

Anyone else eating smaller and more frequently? What has this done for you? Please, do tell! :D

i think pre-planning your meals in advance for the day will have a much greater effect at keeping you from snacking on junk food or binging. knowing from the minute you wake up, what your meal plan for the day will be, helps prevent you from thinking about food during the day and trying to decide what you want for lunch or dinner. when you don't think about food, you don't obsess about food and it's alot easier to avoid snacking, cravings, or binging.

it's not a topic that's often discussed here, but i think alot of successful people here do this automatically. in my own experience, it helps alot. i pre-plan days in advance (actually weeks) and it helps keep my from impulse purchases at the grocery store too. instead of wandering around trying to find something that looks tasty, i know when i walk in the store exactly what i need according to my food plan. it keeps me from even considering buying junk.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    On work days I work about 13 hours sitting on my *kitten*. I bring my lunch to work and I know it falls within my calorie goals by checking before hand. I munch on little things from my lunch all night to keep me awake and prevent me from eating all at once and then being starving 6 hours later and ordering a pizza lol. I also drink a lot of water so my tummy feels full and I don't eat when i am not hungry. I also eay higher protein snacks to keep me fuller longer. I dont thing I actually eat a "lunch" or "dinner".

However,
    On my off days I eat only 2 or three times a day but we like to delebrate my days off and go out to dinner so it works for me to only eat twice cuz dinner is higher calorie and involves beer and such :)
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Make sure you "complete this entry" at the end of the day. You are missing most days entries.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hitting "complete this entry" doesn't actually do anything, beyond posting a status update that you completed your diary. If there's no food logged, it's because the OP didn't log any food.