Too much protein?

Options
What happens if you consume too much protein? Does it affect your weight loss or cause health problems? I have been noticing that though I am staying close to my calorie and and fat intake goals, my protein consumption is usually really high. Should I be worried?

Replies

• devastation77
    Options
    How high is your intake?
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Most women actually need more protein than the recommended amounts, particularly during specific times of their cycles.

However, if it truly is an "insane" amount, you'd notice things like constipation, headaches, and nausea; and possibly more serious symptoms like gall stones, kidney dysfunction, bone/joint pain, and more.

So how much is your intake??
  • BettyBema
    Options
    Usually around 100g per day, more or less. MFP says I am over my daily intake of protein by 50g.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

I aim for 120 - 140g per day. I have 118 lbs of lean mass...unless you are eating a whole cow, I don't think you can overdo the protein.

p.s. the macros can be changed in the settings on your food diary to whatever you want them to be.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    100g a day is good. MFP's default settings are really low on the protein. You can change your goals to custom and adust your protein % so that your goals more accurately reflect your preferences.
  • MaxlacusNight
    MaxlacusNight Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So long as you are also eating at least 100g of carbohydrates a day to avoid Ketosis, you are able to consume as much protein as you desire.
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    100g is not too much protein on average. I reset my macros to 40/30/30 c/f/p as recommended by In Place of a Road Map. Currently my goal of protein is a daily 132g. I see steady losses when I meet my goals.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i have noticed i had to go higher then what mfp says for protein. i was told by a nutritionist a while back that because of being border line type 2 diabetic, that lean protein will kinda level your blood sugar out. and that i should aim to have something with every meal. i wouldn't go crazy. but 100mg is not that bad.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    150g of protein is good. Its much better to eat an extra 50g of protein instead of fat :). As long as your protein levels are not extreme nothing bad can happen.