How long was it before you could run a 5k

Options
I'm training to run a 5k in October. Its a long ways away but i'm hoping to finish in under 21 minutes so I need to train early...

I started off as a 'couch potato' that never exercised. That was exactly 4 weeks ago. I went from not being able to run for more than 2 minutes to being able to run 1.5 miles nonstop (today's new accomplishment) .

That's an accomplishment in its own and im happy/proud. But im curious about how long it took for everyone else to train before they could run a 5k/3.1 miles. If it takes me another 4 weeks to run the last 1.6...am I progressing tooslow to make my goal happen ?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Do the couch 2 5k programme. You can get the written programme online or get a podcast or app. Do a search for it and you will see all the rave reviews.
  • giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options
    about 3 months for me, i was slower than 21minutes though.

it took about 6 months for 21 minutes , good luck :)

i love running
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    A little under 4 mos. I started jogging at 300 lbs and I just took it really slow. I'm still slow but now I'm working up to doing 10k.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    I did couch to 5k, so 9 weeks to run it but that was 33mins, so nowhere near the speed you're looking for.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Ive got this app sitting, waiting on my iPhone.

Still feel too heavy to give it a go yet, but im walking 5km most days. Its a start.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5k, so 9 weeks to run it but that was 33mins, so nowhere near the speed you're looking for.

Yep - same for me - c2k - 9 weeks - but it still took me about 40 mins - was working up to 30mins when I busted my knee.... So no more running for me :-(
  • makaiya
    makaiya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Seems impossible to me right now. I'm mostly fast wlking right now. But we'll see where I am next month.
  • JanisAtki
    JanisAtki Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started from the couch and I did my first 5k after week 6 of the C25K program. I did one paced one to convince myself it wouldn't kill me and pushed myself a few days later for a 37min result on a bush trail. I didn't manage to pick much more speed for the rest of the C25K weeks but I went straight on to C210K and I'm now working on a sensible 10k at the end of Feb which will be 2 weeks after finishing the program. I know my technique leaves a lot to be desired and I'd probably get a trainer involved to help with speed goals like yours. Keep in mind that at speed shoes play a bigger role and an assessment from podiatrist, chiropractor or at least a knowledgable sporting store would be money well spent.
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Less than three weeks and I was starting from zero but I wouldn't recommend doing it so fast I picked up a lot of niggly injuries. And I'm not that fast. About 30 mins for 5k.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I started running in December but was already in good shape. Within 4 weeks I was up to running 5K in 26-27 minutes. Paid the price for that though, got tendonitis. Just ran my first 5K race only 7 weeks after starting running. Finished in 26:42. I would definitely recommend following the C25K program to the letter and don't push it.
  • missferoux
    missferoux Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It took me around 3 months using c25k with a couple of repeated weeks near the end. I run 3-5 times a week since mid August and current time is around 33 mins. I think unless you've run before, a more realistic time should be set. the fast guys at the parkrun 5k near me only do it in 18 - 20 mins, and they have been running for ages.

I aim to be down to 30 mins within two months, 28 within 4.

Hope this helps x Add me if you want motivation x
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I have a different experience. I was a couch potato for sure but after losing some weight when I started c25k. First two days I just did as the day 1 and day 2 were supposed. But then at the end of the first week I pushed myself and suddenly I was able to jog for 9 minutes non stop and did 1km. Next week I did more and now I am doing 2 km i.e. 18 minutes jogging. I have jumped to Week 6 actually just in 2 weeks. Not sure how it happened but I think after a couple of weeks if you push yourself you can do much more than you think you can do. I started by C25k on 10th Jan