Please help!!!

Options
Hello all,

I pray everyone is doing well. I've been a member of MFP for some years now, however I've never really used the site until now. I initially got pretty discouraged. I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease and I had a complete thyroidectomy in 2008. A few months ago I was diagnosed with PCOS, so it has been pretty impossible for me to lose weight. I made a promise to myself as of 1/2 that I would do ALL in my power to lead a healthier lifestyle. I've cut out fried foods and junk food. I eat more fruits and veggies and only drink water. I must say I do feel somewhat better since I've started and I've managed to lose 9 pounds.

I was wondering if any of you new of any groups or suggestions that may potentially help me in my journey. I would love to hear some things that may have worked for you.

All comments are welcome,

Thanks in advance <3

Brandy

Replies

• LPDLPD
    LPDLPD Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Brandy - my sister has Graves disease and it is very difficult for her to lose weight. Everyday is a constant battle for her. She has had to have her thyroid removed and now takes medication. She belongs to a support group that has helped her a bit. Possibly you could join a support group. Also, belonging to MFP and checking in on a regular basis is a great first step to taking control of your health. MFP holds you accountable for what you place in your body. Great first step to getting healthy! keep asking these questions on this forum, there are lots of people who can help.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi, Your on the right track, keep it up.
    The advice I give the my clients about a healthy diet for weight loss and a healthy heart is this:
    eat a variety of whole grains throughout the day (whole grain bread, whole meal pasta or a mix of 50/50 with white pasta; brown rice, or again a 50/50 mix with white rice; couscous is really easy and quick to make a salad with as well. These whole grains slow digestion and keep you feeling full for longer.
    Lean protein (meat with all visible fat removed,) eggs, low fat milk, yoghurt, cheese, beans (kidney, green, edamame, chickpeas etc. (good for maintaing and building new muscle cells when you're increasing exercise or changing your workout.)
    Fruit and vegetables - a variety if different colours but a minimum of 5 servings per day. These are what give you the right nutrients for staying well, and assisting recovery after a hard workout.
    Water - 6-8glasses per day, more when you exercise. Amount depends on how hard you work out or sweat.

The other thing I tell my clients is this:
    if you think you have a lot of changes to make, pick one thing and work on it for the week. The next week, choose another change to add and so on. Eg. eat a minimum of 5servings of fruit and vegetables/day; exercise daily ( or whatever goal you set for yourself.)