is it okay to eat really late at night?

Options
I must go to sleep because i have workin 5 hours but im hungry and can't seem to fall asleep. I heard somewhere that it is bad to eat before you go to sleep. Is that true? Can anyone help me just get to sleep?

Replies

• lexielexie40
    Options
    Eat a piece of fruit or drink a glass of water and go to sleep. You can eat breakfast in the morning.
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I usually eat cottage cheese covered in cinnamon before bed if I'm feeling like that. Its a slow releasing protein so I don't feel guilty..the cinnamon makes me feel like I had a treat... and the want to eat is gone. I couldn't stand the idea of cottage cheese at first but its not half bad after you aquire the taste for it.
  • committowalk
    committowalk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I think a calorie is a calorie and if you are within your goals for the day you should be able to eat whenever you want. I think not eating late at night is sometimes for heartburn, sometimes to prevent junk food snacking, etc. If you eat a large amount right at night your body might store it, but if you are staying in your goals your body should burn it off the next day.
  • Alliewe
    Alliewe Posts: 13
    Options
    Awesome thank you guys! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Eating late at night isn't the issue..............................going over your calorie allotment by a lot is. If it's just a little, then you'll be fine. I personally eat up till 11pm at night almost every night.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I eat late at night all the time. Doesn't affect me. The only reason you'd want to avoid it if it messes up your sleep. Heartburn, upset stomach, etc etc.
  • Hannaaah1990
    Options
    I personally think it's a myth that eating late makes you put on weight, I asked my doctor about this and she said there's no evidence to prove that you shouldn't eat after a certain time. Your body has all night to digest the food after all!

Like other posters have said it's only really a problem if it gives you heartburn and things as can often be the case if you lay down soon after eating.

I've lost 15lb and eat quite late a lot of the time, if I'm starving when I get into bed I won't deprive myself a snack.