how do i make soft-boiled eggs?

Options
rkascak
rkascak Posts: 224 Member
I really like soft boiled eggs with bread, but I have no idea how to make them. Please help :frown:

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    what are soft boiled eggs?
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I just boil mine for 4 minutes and put them under cold water as soon as 4 minutes is up (to stop them from cooking).
  • CdnBulldog
    Options
    Yup, that's all there is to it. 4 minutes it the magic number (if the water is already boiling when you immerse them). That's good for soft poached eggs as well (my own personal fave).

Running under cold water immediately upon retrieval stops the cooking process.

Anything longer makes them firmer until they're hard-boiled / solid (but I can't remember how long that is - 6 minutes I think).

For Oompa_Loompa: Soft boiled eggs are eggs boiled in their shell such that when completed the internals (the eggs) are still "soft" as opposed to cooked solid. If you prefer a runny yolk, then your preference is for soft-boiled eggs.

c.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's all there is to it. 4 minutes it the magic number (if the water is already boiling when you immerse them).

I've never tried putting an egg into boiling water. I always thought you had to start eggs in cold water or else they will bust. Is that not true? I usually time mine from when they start boiling.
  • CdnBulldog
    Options
    Heh, and I thought I was being helpful!

Ok, I'm wrong. Sorry! 4 minutes is perfect for soft-poached eggs. Being that's my fave, that's what I was thinking of as being comparable. When I was a wee lad I used to each soft-boiled eggs all the time - but I was too young to mess with the stove at that point.

CrystalT is absolutely correct. You want to start with cold water and warm up to boiling. That eases the shells up to temp without having a temperature differential crack. Sorry!

Here's a link: http://www.finecooking.com/articles/how-to/boil-eggs-perfectly.aspx

I really should stick to how to boil water, make toast - and of course, soft poached eggs... =;^)

Sorry for the confusion!

c.