DDR calories burned?

Options
2»

Replies

• Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I think I wouldn't go with more than 300 per half hour depending on how intense you were dancing. I know in zumba I can burn like 450-700 for an hour.
  • merylmartin14
    merylmartin14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started playing my old DDR game again. This game is probably 12 or 14 years old. Anyways, it says I only burn 200 calories or so an hour. I am playing on light and standard mode because I'm not very good and weigh 123 pounds. It seems maybe like an underestimate? I'm not sure.
  • yyyy1313
    yyyy1313 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is an old thread and I found it quite interesting to read. I have a fitbit and my fitbit says I burn about 800 calories playing DDR for an hour. By comparison, when I do calisthenics it takes me about an hour and a half to burn 1000. As previous people have mentioned, I think the calories that the game says it burns is accurate judging by my own results using a fitbit surge. Keep in mind, I'm 230 pounds, so its definitely a lot easier for someone like me to burn calories.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    meganwojo wrote: »
    I just got DDR universe 3 for xbox and I played on Difficult level for 30 minutes..it says i burned 451 calories? Does that seem accurate? I do bootcamp videos for 30 minutes and only burn about 300 calories. However, I am sweating like crazyy haha! Thanks!

That's definitely generous. I'd say the best approximation is to total the song play time and then compare that to a relative running effort. If I play a bunch of 9s/10s from MAX/MAX2/Extreme/Extreme 2 I tend to think that feels comparable to a 8:30 mile effort for me, which is about 7mph, good for roughly 750kcal in an hour and that's playing some decently intense stuff.

If you're really doubling over after every song and totally suffering aerobically halfway through the song you might be getting near 900 in an hour if you play without a break, but 900 calories an hour for the typical person is a titanic effort.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Rabellaka wrote: »
    To everyone who says you only use yor feet playing DDR, I have no idea how you can do that. I use my arms for balance and keeping time, and my body is always twisting to get the forward and backward arrows

They might not be saying it quite right, but this is what they are trying to convey:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2RMm4EMK_m0

• pipo221beta
    pipo221beta Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I own a Pump It Up machine. Had it for 2 years already but haven't put it to much use. Going to start utilizing it more often and see how integrating it along with MFP to see what results come up.

Funny enough, this game shows something called "kcal" which is what I assume is calories but I don't know if those calculations are going by a average person or something. Hmm.

I'm sure that playing songs of higher intensity as these should be burning at least 15 calories a song based on the other posts here and comparing the difficulty of the two games (DDR vs PIU).

zc5wq6v6swfa.jpg

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What is DDR? :blushing:

Dance Dance Revolution - Wii, XBox, PS2, etc
  • xopher314
    xopher314 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I own a ddr machine and I've played for two hours every day for the past two years. I'm down 113 pounds.