1000 calories leftover... Every day

Hey all,

I have just been reunited with MFP and remember why I loved it so much! When I first used it, I lost over 10kgs.
I have been sitting on a plateau for about 1 year until a week ago where undecided to use it again.

I am constantly between 800-1000 under my calorie allowance (left over).
Is this healthy? (My allowance is 1920). What are the pros and cons? I also exercise by doing approx 500-700 calories burned per day.

I am a 28yo male.

Thanks!

Replies

• ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Are you 800-1000 under NET, or are you a straight 800-1000 over (ie eating 900-1100 cal a day)
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    If you've been 'stuck' for awhile and it's been while you're going under so much daily, you probably need to eat more. It could very well give you a restart and start the losing again. :)
  • PsLukeM
    PsLukeM Posts: 474 Member
    NET is usually around 700 calories. Today's example:

Goal: 1924
    Food: 1274
    Exercise: 580
    Net: 694
    Remaining: 1226
  • PsLukeM
    PS- wow I look fat in my profile pic :p
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    you should be netting 1920 cals. by having so many calories left over you are creating a very large deficit which can then lead your body to burn muscle instead of fat. which you dont want as muscle is good, fat is not!
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Eat more !
  • meesh045
    meesh045 Posts: 26 Member
    When I exercise I tend to not be able to eat all of the additional calories gained. I don't think that it is a good idea to be eating under 1200 calories on a regular basis. You have a target number of calories to enable you to lose weight healthily, so you really ought to be meeting those. Just my thoughts though :-)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Pros: You will lose weight quickly.
    Cons: It won't last long.

If you are struggling to eat your cals, eat some nuts, peanut butter, avocado, etc. They are all high in healthy calories but low in volume of food.
  • chelbivandine
    chelbivandine Posts: 33 Member
    If you net 1200 calories a day you are still considered to be in a "healty" calorie intake which with you allowance is right around where you are netting. However eating this few calories could either help you or hurt you. It depends on your body. I eat 1,000 a day at most even though every pal tells me this is not good. It is helping me not to mention I have talked to a nutrtionist about it. If I were you I would add on a few calories and see if that helps, and if it doesnt then go back to the lower amount. The truth is every person is different and what works for one might not work for the other.

I hope you find something that works for you
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Your diary is not open, Cannot see what you are eating.
    I battle to stay within my 1,750 cals a day. I don't know how you can survive eating so few cals.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member

Are you counting liquids also or just foods? Some people forget to incl the calories they ingest through drinks and that is why they don't lose. If you are counting those and still not losing, my guess would be that you are not eating enough. That is extremely unusual and you should probably see your doctor. There could be a health issue you are not aware of or at the very least, he/she could give you something to stimulate your appetite.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member

As a grown man eating 694 net cals is far too low. Follow the guildelines MFP has given you - eat 1924 PLUS your exercise cals.

In addition, you should eat a decent amount of protein and strength train to preserve muscle as you lose weight.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member

As a grown man eating 694 net cals is far too low. Follow the guildelines MFP has given you - eat 1924 PLUS your exercise cals.

In addition, you should eat a decent amount of protein and strength train to preserve muscle as you lose weight.
    This exactly!
  • Are you getting balanced nutrition?

For some people, it's all about the calories. Drop the kcals, lose weight. But for some people (like me), calories become an all-but-useless number unless i have the proper nutrition.

I have to make sure I've got my five veggies, two fruits, two-three proteins, two dairy a day, and with carbs, I need to average between 15-25g per meal (and I eat every three hours). If I neglect to eat all that's required of me, I could eat as low as 500cals a day and still not lose weight.

Check your nutrition balance, and if it's where it should be and you're getting the macro and micro nutrients you need, the calories might take care of themselves.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member

This exactly!

yes.
    please, please eat.
    i am 41 year old woman and i eat 1500 when i do nothing, and 1800 or more when i exercise

check out this group...there is a lot of information here.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Of course it's not healthy. Eat up
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    I'm a woman and I eat more than that -- yes, it is hard, but I am strength training so I have to teach myself to replenish so I can rebuild LMM. Are you doing cardio or weight training?
  • PsLukeM
    Both cardio and weight training
  • StonesUnturned
    StonesUnturned Posts: 94 Member
    Are you getting balanced nutrition?

For some people, it's all about the calories. Drop the kcals, lose weight. But for some people (like me), calories become an all-but-useless number unless i have the proper nutrition.

I have to make sure I've got my five veggies, two fruits, two-three proteins, two dairy a day, and with carbs, I need to average between 15-25g per meal (and I eat every three hours). If I neglect to eat all that's required of me, I could eat as low as 500cals a day and still not lose weight.

Check your nutrition balance, and if it's where it should be and you're getting the macro and micro nutrients you need, the calories might take care of themselves.

Just to add to this, I find it really hard to get enough Vitamin C, iron, etc. when I eat fewer calories. If you plot those out (which you can do under the Reports tab), are you hitting 100% of the RDAs? If not, you may have problems in the future, in addition to whatever energy needs you're likely not meeting. I suppose it would be possible with supplements, by why supplement when you could eat more delicious delicious foods?
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Eat more. You will spin your wheels with the weight training if you do not eat enough to let your body repair. The scale weight will go down for sure, I will grant you that.