STUCK!

Options
Hi!

I *love* MFP!

I've been on it for months regulating my calories and water intake. I've also been taking spin class about 4 times a week. However, in the last few months I only lost 4 pounds (not to mention that the last two pounds I lost were only recently). I'm familiar with hitting plateaus, but this has just been very frustrating. Maybe I'm gaining muscles? ;)

Any tips??

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This makes sense as you are so close to your goal weight. The closer you get the harder it gets. I'm not sure what your weekly loss goal is but maybe change it to a maximum of 1/2 pound/week, and remember to eat your exercise calories. You will get there eventually.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    This makes sense as you are so close to your goal weight. The closer you get the harder it gets. I'm not sure what your weekly loss goal is but maybe change it to a maximum of 1/2 pound/week, and remember to eat your exercise calories. You will get there eventually.

I am confused about comments of eating your exercise calories. I was assuming that if you eat all of your exercise calories then you are basically maintaining the weight you are currently at (which I do not want to do...I am trying to lose weight). My friend is a fitness trainer and she suggested that I only eat half of my exercise calories.

Please explain...

Thanks
  • astokes
    astokes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This article is GREAT!
    http://health.msn.com/fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100212101

I'm in the same boat, but have noticed measurments are shrinking, so that is what I now judge my succes on. Just as long as the scale doesn't go too crazy in the wrong direction! Hope this article helps!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP already set your calories allotment to loose weight, say 1 pound per week, if that was your goal you are eating 500 cals less per day then maintenance calories. If you exercise and burn 500 more you would be at a 1000 calorie deficit, so in order to keep with your goal of loosing 1 pound per week you will have to eat 500 calories more so you are at the 500 deficit originally chosen. If you don't eat them you risk your body going into starvation mode in which it would make it harder to loose weight.
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    thanks for the article, astokes... very helpfu.
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    thanks arielle0489 ... very interesting and helpful website!
  • laina911
    laina911 Posts: 5
    Options
    All of this feedback is very thankful, I appreciate it!

However, I set my goal at 150, mainly to set a small attainable goal at first. Ideally, I'd like to weigh between 140-145. Kind of tricking myself I guess.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    MFP already set your calories allotment to loose weight, say 1 pound per week, if that was your goal you are eating 500 cals less per day then maintenance calories. If you exercise and burn 500 more you would be at a 1000 calorie deficit, so in order to keep with your goal of loosing 1 pound per week you will have to eat 500 calories more so you are at the 500 deficit originally chosen. If you don't eat them you risk your body going into starvation mode in which it would make it harder to loose weight.

Thanks erickirb. That does make sense.