Is it more than just counting calories?

Options

Replies

• DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Also, your macros are set up wrong as you should have Protein/Fats/Carbs in orders of priority whereas you have Carbs as your highest
  • DeanBurrows
    Options
    I have seen a lot of people here who eat back those exercise calories. If you burn it off, and then eat it back, you have not created a calorie deficit. Not sure if that is what you do, just putting it out there.

umm... wrong.

Your calorie deficit is built into the number MFP spits out. If you eat back your exercise, you still maintain your calorie deficit that you have setup in your goals.

No. Not wrong. The people who have talked about eating back their calories, are going by the little caption under their diary that tells them how many calories the earned through exercise. They are going back and eating what that little caption tells them.

yes, wrong. I promise.

This man speaks truth
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have seen a lot of people here who eat back those exercise calories. If you burn it off, and then eat it back, you have not created a calorie deficit. Not sure if that is what you do, just putting it out there.

umm... wrong.

Your calorie deficit is built into the number MFP spits out. If you eat back your exercise, you still maintain your calorie deficit that you have setup in your goals.

No. Not wrong. The people who have talked about eating back their calories, are going by the little caption under their diary that tells them how many calories the earned through exercise. They are going back and eating what that little caption tells them.

yes, wrong. I promise.

Umm.... unless you have been reading my messages, you have no clue what I am talking about. I know when someone tells me that their calories OVER their daily plan are because they ATE BACK THEIR EXERCISE CALORIES BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WAS OKAY! Geesh. Carry on.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

umm... wrong.

yes, wrong. I promise.

Umm.... unless you have been reading my messages, you have no clue what I am talking about. I know when someone tells me that their calories OVER their daily plan are because they ATE BACK THEIR EXERCISE CALORIES BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WAS OKAY! Geesh. Carry on.

You are to eat your exercise calories back. The deficit is already built into MFP's calculation. The man lost 118pounds, pretty sure he knows what he is talking about.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

umm... wrong.

You are wrong. MFP builds in a calorie deficit. If you eat all exercise calories back you will be right at the initial deficit MFP created for you based on your goal inputs. The only exception is if you built your calorie burns into your TDEE by choosing highly active or moderately active. In this case, exercise estimates are already there and adding them again would be double counting. Most people set activity level to light or sedentary. In this case, eating exercise calories back IS what you should do and you will still have your target DEFICIT.
  • exercisemania
    Options
    You can move past a plateau by bumping up your calories and mixing up your workout. don't eat less. it tricks your body and gets you burning again. at least i think that's what jillian michaels said.
  • DeanBurrows
    Options

umm... wrong.

yes, wrong. I promise.

2emhnp1.jpg

Here is my example, your 'GOAL' should be your calorie deficit so even if you eat back your exercise calories (which you SHOULD) then you will still be in your calorie deficit.

Please know what you're talking about before giving out wrong info.
    Thanks
  • amycarol59
    amycarol59 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It is a a lot more than just calories. Hormone changes, water fluctuation, nutrient differences, exercise differences and the list goes on and on. I was stuck between 220 and 210 for months now I am fluctuating at 195-198 for the past 3 weeks. Every time this happens I just do research and make small adjustments until it works. Just stay strong and focused and listen to your body. Make slight adjustments if you think you need to but if you just stay strong it will start moving again. I think your diary looks good you are not eating back all your exercise calories but are eating some which is good the suggestion I would say is you definitely need more veggies a woman needs 9 fruit and veggie servings a day. Hope this little bit helps and you can get ready for your test at the end of the year. Good luck!!!
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options

umm... wrong.

yes, wrong. I promise.

Wow, no, you are STILL wrong! MFP sets up a calorie deficit already. If you eat back those exercise calories, you are still at a deficit for the day. Also, you would NOT go over your daily goal this way. You would still be in the green. If you go over it is not because you are eating your exercise calories back, it is because you are eating more than your exercise calories.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    How long have you stalled? When I was in weight watcher's they did not consider it a stall until it hit six weeks. (of course they are making money the whole time) Just a thought.
    Options

umm... wrong.

yes, wrong. I promise.

Wow, no, you are STILL wrong! MFP sets up a calorie deficit already. If you eat back those exercise calories, you are still at a deficit for the day. Also, you would NOT go over your daily goal this way. You would still be in the green. If you go over it is not because you are eating your exercise calories back, it is because you are eating more than your exercise calories.

Unless you have read the messages in my inbox, then again, you have NO CLUE what I am talking about. You are so stuck on what you think you know, instead of maybe trying to understand that when a person over eats because they think they wont damage thier progress..... oh never mind.... you refuse to get it. I am not here to argue. You enjoy your ego. I hope the rest of your day is as nice as you are.
  • eyeshuh
    Options
    To the OP: Have you started any new exercise lately? It could very well be that your muscles are retaining water. Definitely give it more than 2 weeks! If you have been bouncing around different calorie or exercise goals, that could be why you aren't seeing a steady drop/change. Most people suggest you wait a month doing the same thing!
  • eyeshuh
    Options

umm... wrong.

yes, wrong. I promise.

Unless you have read the messages in my inbox, then again, you have NO CLUE what I am talking about. You are so stuck on what you think you know, instead of maybe trying to understand that when a person over eats because they think they wont damage thier progress..... oh never mind.... you refuse to get it. I am not here to argue. You enjoy your ego. I hope the rest of your day is as nice as you are.

You are trying to give very bad advice, and that is why you are receiving such a negative response. Unless all of us are misinterpreting what you are saying-unlikely-then you should not spread such misinformation on the forums.

Also I have no idea what you are talking about with the "messages in your inbox". Unless they are from the OP saying that she is eating over her exercise calories, which we can see from her diary that she is not, then it has no bearing here.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

umm... wrong.

yes, wrong. I promise.

It doesn't matter what it says in your inbox. What you said on this thread is still incorrect.
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you just have to keep the faith and stay the course. I remember from former weight loss attempts that the scales will do funny things, like bump up for no reason, or stay the same for weeks on end, again for no reason that I could pinpoint. The body has to make a lot of internal adjustments that we know nothing about to convert from fat storage to fat burning, so if you keep doing what you're doing, results should show up eventually.

Be sure to change up your exercise regularly. If you do the same things all the time, the body becomes very efficient and burns fewer calories.

I really hope this is the case because I can't stand hitting these walls! lol I will be changing my excersise after reading this and everyone's posts.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

umm... wrong.

yes, wrong. I promise.

REALLY?! You have a BASIC misunderstanding of how my fitness pal works. Multiple people are telling you that you are incorrect and YOU still refuse to set your ego aside. I don't pretend to know everything, but at least I will admit it if I am wrong - I even DON'T POST if I don't know the answer...
  • DeanBurrows
    Options

This quote still stands as INCORRECT!

Doesn't matter what people are sending you in your inbox.
    Options

This quote still stands as INCORRECT!

Doesn't matter what people are sending you in your inbox.

If they have red numbers, not green ones, then they went over. Period. Have a nice day. I will not return to explain this further to you or anyone else.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Also, your macros are set up wrong as you should have Protein/Fats/Carbs in orders of priority whereas you have Carbs as your highest

Whats wrong with that?
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Overeating has nothing to do with the exercise calories. They could be logging their food and exercise incorrectly.

I've lost 45 pounds doing exactly what MFP tells me to do. If my weight stalls for a couple of weeks or so, it's usually due to too many carbs/sodium/water retention.

I don't care about your inbox.