Which milk is best

Options
Drizap
Drizap Posts: 34 Member
I've recently switched from regular lowfat milk to almond milk. I love almond milk. I was wondering if there is any benefit to drinking regular milk, or it is okay to eliminate from my diet. Also, which is best - almond milk, soy Milk, or cow Milk from a nutritional perspective.

Replies

• DeeNyceRN
    DeeNyceRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is lower in calories and has twice the calcium than cows milk. I have been drinking almond milk and eliminated cows milk from my diet over a year ago. I feel great!
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You should try flax milk too--It's low in calories and has omega 3s. They also make flax milk with extra protein.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    i drink raw whole milk because i love local farmers and need more fat in my diet.

but when the cows are having a bad month (milk production often slows during the hottest and coldest months of the year), i buy almond milk. almond milk is delicious in coffee, and my soy-intolerant daughter can drink it.

i hear that almond milk has more calcium, but it usually shows up the same in my nutrient macros, just significantly lower in calories per serving.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk (unless it's unsweetened) normally has alot more sugar than regular milk. Also, it doesn't have the protein content of cow's milk.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I switched to almond or coconut milk for mixing with things because it seems to be better for you - but i still keep a little cows milk around to drink because I havent gotten used to the taste of anything else.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i think best is different for everyone, so it depends on what your goals are. personally, i drink almond milk at home because it's lowest in calories, but i'm lactose intolerant so it works out for me.

I found this chart which breaks things down a little bit. i'm sure there are others to compare/contrast nutritional values.
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Calories-Different-Types-Milk-9221413
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Dairy fat has good amino acids in it. I switched to full fat dairy. I used to drink 2%.

I also like chocolate hemp milk in my coffee.
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    8th Continent Soy Vanilla Lowfat...love it.
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    It depends on how you're approaching your weight loss. Milk can certainly be one area where you can adjust things to address certain difficulties you're having with your overall nutrition. There are a great many choices; so my suggestion is to look at your overall eating habits and how your overall nutrition is looking and the various milk products can be a place to relatively easily make some adjustments. For myself I push full fat milk and even heavy cream because I often need more fat in my diet. But my diet approach is a low-carb one.

*edit because I left a word out.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It's really a personal preference on what you like. I switched to unsweeted almond milk a couple years ago and think it taste better than cows milk. Some people like coconut milk or soy milk. really depends on your macros and what you like. I'd still to low fat versions of what ever you decide to use.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Almond milk for me :) its slightly nutty and toasty with a hint of sweetness and has great, milk-like texture . It's made from skinned or blanched almonds that are finely ground and blended with water, then filtered to remove solids . High in vitamin E.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any milk that isn't dairy milk is best, so you can choose almond, hemp, or non-gmo soy. Dairy milk is full of hormones, pus, blood, and antibiotics. Doesn't do a body good.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Surely if milk was so horribly bad for you then in this information hungry world we live in we'd know that by now?

It's fine to drink something less calorific, in fact it really doesn't matter what you eat or drink as long as the nutrition is right when you add it all together.

Healthty eating is all about nutrition and balance, not one specific food.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I figure if the Bible references it, it has to be good right? ie Land of milk and honey.
  • Ferbabe
    Ferbabe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When thinking about milk and subsitiutes, here are some things to keep in mind.

1. Soy milk has an...interesting texture. Flavored varieties all involve sugar or sugar alcohols. OK nutritional profile, has protien. There is a lot of talk "out there" abount unfermented soy being a metabolic confuser. It is an estrogenic compound (precursor in the estrogen pathways) but who really knows if that is a problem... Very important to purchase organic as soy beans are heavily sprayed.
    2. Almond milk. Smooth creamy texture. Plain is the best because again, there is a ton of sugar or sugar alcohols used in the flavored varieties. Has a good nutritional profile, healthy fats, protien, etc. Organic is good, but not as important as with soy.
    3. Rice milk. Realy? Empty calories...nuff said. (and it has a gritty texture) I also HATE saki, so maybey I am just biased here.
    4. Coconut milk. Again, plain is the best becasue of the sugars blah blah. OK nutritional profile, lots of Vit A, no protien. The up side to coconut milk? Even if it isn't labeled organic, it is...coconut palms don't get sprayed...they grow like weeks in florida, and there aren't any bug issues (thing super hard outer shell!)
    5. Animal milk. Concerns about grownth hormones, pesticides from the cow's food stock (think about all the things you aren't supposed to eat when you are breast feeding, yes it does come through in the milk), and of course there is the animal rights concerns. It is high in protien and -if you drink the skim- fat free, has a good nutritional profile, even better if the cow is grass fed. Organic milk is pretty tasty stuff.

All in all, it comes down to personal preference. What price are you willing to pay, subs are expensive $$?
    Some people are dairy sensetive and don't even know it.
    Me, I will do coconut milk, cow's milk, and sheep's milk. I personally love my dairy.
  • cleanjerksnatch
    Options
    i drink raw whole milk because i love local farmers and need more fat in my diet.

but when the cows are having a bad month (milk production often slows during the hottest and coldest months of the year), i buy almond milk. almond milk is delicious in coffee, and my soy-intolerant daughter can drink it.

i hear that almond milk has more calcium, but it usually shows up the same in my nutrient macros, just significantly lower in calories per serving.

That is great. I do this too. When I cant always have raw, I go organic. I have no problems keeping my body fat % low.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options

That is great. I do this too. When I cant always have raw, I go organic. I have no problems keeping my body fat % low.

Organic milk is easily accessible in stores these days, and is generally labeled as non-GMO. It's also hormone-free, which is something I am personally concerned with, seeing as I'm currently raising two little girls.

I prefer to purchase my milk locally, as I grew up on a dairy goat farm and there's just something DIFFERENT about the taste and texture of fresh raw milk that pasteurization takes away. It removes the sweetness, somehow. Even expensive organic milk from the store is lacking that sweet richness that I associate with dairy milk.

Fresh goat milk, is amazing, too, btw. It's buttery-tasting and rich in flavor without being rich in calories. I get a lot of it from my family in the summer. We make yogurt and cheese with the surplus. Store-bought goat milk is disgusting, though. If it sits on the shelf for long, it develops a sort of.....goaty-like smell. Makes for an interesting cheese, but I wouldn't suggest it on your morning cereal unless you like to feel like you've licked a goat all day.

Seriously, though; the difference between whole raw milk and pasteurized skimmed milk is vast. It's more vast than the difference between store-bought skimmed milk and almond/soy/coconut/rice milk. I'd take almond milk over store-bought dairy ANY day.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Organic milk is easily accessible in stores these days, and is generally labeled as non-GMO. It's also hormone-free, which is something I am personally concerned with, seeing as I'm currently raising two little girls.

I prefer to purchase my milk locally, as I grew up on a dairy goat farm and there's just something DIFFERENT about the taste and texture of fresh raw milk that pasteurization takes away. It removes the sweetness, somehow. Even expensive organic milk from the store is lacking that sweet richness that I associate with dairy milk.

Fresh goat milk, is amazing, too, btw. It's buttery-tasting and rich in flavor without being rich in calories. I get a lot of it from my family in the summer. We make yogurt and cheese with the surplus. Store-bought goat milk is disgusting, though. If it sits on the shelf for long, it develops a sort of.....goaty-like smell. Makes for an interesting cheese, but I wouldn't suggest it on your morning cereal unless you like to feel like you've licked a goat all day.

Seriously, though; the difference between whole raw milk and pasteurized skimmed milk is vast. It's more vast than the difference between store-bought skimmed milk and almond/soy/coconut/rice milk. I'd take almond milk over store-bought dairy ANY day.

Milk cannot be hormone free if it comes from a cow.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options
    Milk cannot be hormone free if it comes from a cow.

my bad, Ms. Semantics.

Organic milk generally comes from cows that have not been injected with synthetic bovine growth *kitten*-moans.

unless they've recently passed some sort of blanket law I'm unaware of which require commercial dairies to inject regardless of "organic certification" or whatnot.

commence telling me now that the natural hormones in animal products are way more unhealthy than the pesticides and petrochemicals required to produce, package, and sell me vegan milk replacements.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you like Almond Milk then stick with that. I think it has a lot of "junk" in the ingredients one of which can potentially promote tumor growth. II cannot stand how it tastes and it's so salty. I love me some regular 1% Organic Milk.