crock pot question

Options
sollygirl
sollygirl Posts: 107
Im ganna put some chicken in the crock pot with bbq sauce. Ive never done it before for those of you who do make it this way do you thaw your chicken first and what other things do you throw in there im ganna put some potatoes maybe onions.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    First off, you get the best results when done on low for 8 hrs. 4 hrs on high is ok, but the meat is the juiciest, most tender after 8 hrs on low.

Ok, that said, I love doing chicken w/bbq, served w/rice and corn. Also have done pork chops w/cream of mushroom soup served w/small baked potato and green beans or sweet peas. I've also made stew and pulled pork (McCormic's has a great slow cooker seasoning packets for these!), and cheesy scalloped potatoes w/sausage and they all turn out great; again, all cooked on low for 8 hrs.

Make sure whatever meat you use is thawed first so it cooks thoroughly especially if you do high for 4 hrs. Hope all this helps!
  • sollygirl
    sollygirl Posts: 107
    Options
    If I thaw it first should i add some chicken broth with it. I usually dont thaw my chicken and cook it with salsa on low all day, but i wanna try the bbq sauce and i only have about 5 or 6 hrs.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    No broth needed. Just thaw, add bbq sauce and cook away! When I'm short on time, I take the frozen chicken and put it in a bowl with hot water; thaws within 15-20 mins (check it halfway and swap out water if it's cold). Thawing in hot water is ok because you're going to immediately cook it. High on 3, low for 2 would also work as a compromise.
  • dsjolley
    dsjolley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a whole chicken (which is great, by the way) I throw in onions, carrots, celery and potatoes. Pretty much any veggie will work. I don't recommend adding any sauces - too much sugar and empty calories. Just rub with seasoning of your choice (I live sage and salt on chicken).
  • mcjurys
    mcjurys Posts: 19
    Options
    You don't have to thaw your chicken first. It will cook just fine. I do it all the time.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    You don't have to thaw your chicken first. It will cook just fine. I do it all the time.

same here. i never thaw beforehand and it is always tasty.
  • jojordan
    jojordan Posts: 8
    Options
    Sandra Lee is the crock pot queen. You can see her on the Food Network. I don't know how "healthy" her recipes are, but you can definitely learn the basics from her, and that will help you spice things up. I love doing a roast with baby veggies.

I season the roast with salt and pepper
    Place into cold crock pot
    almost cover with water (don't wash off seasoning)
    Go ahead and cook for a few hours before adding veggies (so they don't go to mush) add bay leaf or two for flavor
    About 4 hours in (on high) go ahead and add veggies (I like baby carrots, celery, and new potatoes, pearl onions)
    cook for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours until meat is tender)

If you want to make a gravy the easiest thing you can do is combine some of the liquid, and veggies in a blender and let 'er rip. Great with rice or just as is.