Pictures of Body Fat % for men and women

Options
I was looking for something like this on the boards and I couldn't find it... thought I'd share in case someone else is looking for it as well. I'm around 30% currently and am having a hell of a time getting under that. Seems pretty accurate to me. I use a Omron Fat Loss Monitor handheld thing HBF-306C. I usually use it in the morning and record for both normal and athletic body type because I'm not sure which one was right? I do Insanity 6 days a week so I'm guessing that puts me in the Athletic measurement... need to read the directions again apparently.

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I don't think that any electronic hand held device would be accurate. I have a scale that also measures body fat percentage. It claims that I'm 17.9% body fat which really just is impossible. I'm not an athelete. I've heard that these devices are notoriously inaccurate.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    I'm not sure what exactly is accurate though. I don't trust the tape measure methods either. I think they are biased against certain body types. maybe the dunking in a tank of water method or a body scan.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Those gadgets (and even skinfold calipers if done incorrectly) are incorrect. If you REALLY want to know your body fat percentage, find a Bod Pod.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Great article! I'd like to be in the 20-25% range, realistically:). Thanks for sharing!
  • Aviva92
    Options
    I would go by the mirror method more than anything else. Maybe use a tape measure if you need to see progress changes.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    BTW I am estimated to be 30% too and as you can see from the picture in the link you posted vs. my profile pic that it seems pretty close.
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I liked looking at the pics and the description of each. I recently had a "pinch test" done at the gym and it said I was 29% body fat. I am 31, 5'5" and about 140 lbs. I took a reading the very next day on my Omorion hand held reader and it read 26.3% and with that said there could be a variance of a -/+ of 5% (and I had it set to normal not "athletic"). The only true accurate way is the water based test (I forget the exact name) but lets face it who has access to that?? As long as you are consistent with your measurements, (i.e., the type of device, time of day, before or after a workout, before or after a meal) and can notice changes then that will work just fine! :)
  • Kandyhar
    Kandyhar Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I liked looking at the pics and the description of each. I recently had a "pinch test" done at the gym and it said I was 29% body fat. I am 31, 5'5" and about 140 lbs. I took a reading the very next day on my Omorion hand held reader and it read 26.3% and with that said there could be a variance of a -/+ of 5% (and I had it set to normal not "athletic"). The only true accurate way is the water based test (I forget the exact name) but lets face it who has access to that?? As long as you are consistent with your measurements, (i.e., the type of device, time of day, before or after a workout, before or after a meal) and can notice changes then that will work just fine! :)

Thanks! I agree! I figure a loss is a loss regardless of if it was accurate to begin with or not, if I lose 2% body fat for example, it's still 2% body fat. I look like the 30% picture and that's what my device says approximately. My goal is to be about 23-25%
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I actually liked the way curves in the 30% picture looked! If I were a man I would totally be attracted to that. I unfortunately carry my fat around my belly so I dont look like that in a bikini! haha