Weekend Breakdown

Options
I messed up big time on Sunday. I was doing very well until I went to a concert with former coworker/best friend. She wanted to get something to eat and does not like to eat alone. The menu wasn't the best at this Cafe. I got an angus burger with american cheese, lettuce and tomato with a little ketchup. I also joined her for dessert. I know I didn't have to order the dessert. I also could have order a plain salad instead of the burger. Now I'm paying for it. I gained 5 lbs. Now I have to work double hard to lose that 5 lbs.

Question: why is it easier to gain 5 lbs in a single day then it is to lose 5 lbs.? It seems that when you do the right thing, eat right, you only a quarter lb or 1 lb.? That is so weird. :mad:

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You did not gain 5 pounds in one day. It is more than likely water retention. It is often best not to weigh yourself after a big, treat meal :).
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You ate a high sodium meal.. you will gain weight from that.

Did you eat almost 20,000 calories above your maintance yesterday? If not you didn't gain 5lbs of fat.

Don't weigh yourself after eating a high sodium meal... you will gain weight.

This 5lbs will come off a lot easier than a normal 5lbs since it's water weight... not fat.

You lose slowly because it takes works to take fat off your body... it takes a deficit. Water weight doesn't care about calories or exercise.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Don't get down on yourself about this. Today is a new day. It's perfectly alright to have days like this. Just don't make it a habit ;)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    It's not a 5lb gain of fat.

It is either or a combination of the weight of the actual food and water retention.
  • hardone1979
    Options
    oh water weight you have done it again. do not worry about it, I "gain" 2lbs of water weight every weekend, its gone by the following Wed. and I usually find I've lost weight by that Friday. just watch those calories and keep up / increase your physical activity. you'll be fine
  • paigedmw
    Options
    Every day is a new day ???? I HIGHLY doubt you gained 5lbs from just that, you'd have to consume a heap loads of calories for that to e a possibility. Just don't worry about it, just go back to your normal diet and excersize routine and you'll feel better!
    And hey, everyone is entitled to a treat! Don't deprive your body of something unhealthy every now and then! ????
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP I was the same way. I remember a similar post on my wall. Took a day road trip with a friend, I told her I was dieting and I had brought some food with me.. that didn't go over so well. She informed me she hadn't had a 'girls day' in too long and that she was celebrating and not dieting because she was going to have fun. We are friends, our friendship meant not eating 1200 calories that day. We went to McDonalds I had a small fry, McChicken, and a large (regular milk) Iced Mocha with whipped cream. Yes, I did bad on calories that day. But I was being good the other days, averaging 1200, probably 1300 for the week with my bad day figured in there. I really thought I wouldn't be able to keep with my plan... so I was considering not logging it. I remember thinking that night that I couldn't live by those calorie requirements.. it's hard to think that I actually considered quitting it. But that is the worst thing a person could do! This isn't some crazy diet plan. This is just a new way of life.. a better one. Take responsibility for your own health. Yes, take one day at a time, try to stay in control. Anything is better than nothing. I've been having too many splurge days myself lately, but I'm still under my TDEE/BMR... basically the calories it would take for me to maintain my weight. Which means that I'm still loosing.. just not really fast like I would at 1200 calories. But, I'm ok with that. I took a long time to put the weight on, I can take a year to get it back off.

What I noticed to be the MOST important thing to make weight loss a reality... JUST KEEP WITH IT. My friends that kept with it after 200 days looked GREAT. I'm up to like 77 days... my next goal is 200 days in a row logging EVERYTHING I consume. Next goal is to log in for an entire year. Goal after that is to reach goal weight. I have a goal of getting 3 days a week with a whole body workout (not just bicycle riding)... I know that will make a huge difference in size and getting loose skin back to fitting right.. just haven't gotten there yet with it. My husband aunt is a fitness instructor, she says your weight has 85% to do with what you consume and only 15% with workout.. you still have to workout to have a healthy body but the biggest change you have to make for your weight has to do with what goes into your mouth. Watching what you eat is very important.

Try not to have too many cheat days in there, log everything, JUST STICK WITH IT.
  • sfields52
    Options
    Thank you for your words of encouragement and your own personal testimony. This forum is really great for me. It is really encouraging me to stick with it. I can do well when I am at home or when I am just alone whether at home or out of the house. Again thank you and I will not quit. I will continue, if I fall, I'll get back up and try it again. Eventually I'll remain diligent.
  • sfields52
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning before I eat anything. I doubt if it is water retention since my doctor has me on a water pill and high blood presure pill.