Losing pounds, gaining inches?

Options
I measured this morning and I'm up 1" on my neck, .5" on my waist and 1" on my hips. My clothes have been fitting better so....? I measured a couple times to make sure I wasn't in the wrong spot, etc. Could this be the result of water retention (even if I'm not seeing an increase on the scale)?

Replies

• tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you fitness regime and diet look like, but it could be a result of losing muscle. Since muscle is less dense, when you lose it you will see a decrease on the scale, but not with your clothing.
  • Goatgodess
    Goatgodess Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are bloated, could be water. How are your bowels? Is it coming up to that "time of the month"
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My clothes have been fitting better. I probably should have been more specific. I haven't been gaining inches the whole time. I just measured a week ago and was down a few inches overall from my previous numbers a couple weeks earlier. Usually I measure at night (for no particular reason; that's just how it's worked out) but this time I measured right out of bed. I really don't think I'm losing muscle.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Depends on how far apart you are measuring. If it is a week or two then bloating or any type of water retention. If it's a month (same point in your cycle) you are either measuring different or you are possibly not eating enough (yeah I know that sounds backward).
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I just measured a week ago and was down a few inches overall from my previous numbers a couple weeks earlier. Usually I measure at night (for no particular reason; that's just how it's worked out) but this time I measured right out of bed. I really don't think I'm losing muscle.

Stick to measuring once a month at the same time of day at the same point in your cycle. Week to week is impossible to tell what the changes in measurements are from.
  • calibriintx
    Options
    sounds like you are bloated, could be water. How are your bowels? Is it coming up to that "time of the month"

Yes! I didn't even consider TOM. Today is day 28 so anytime now! I haven't been measuring regularly so this is probably the first time I've measured around TOM. Bowels are normal. Thanks!
  • calibriintx
    Options
    I just measured a week ago and was down a few inches overall from my previous numbers a couple weeks earlier. Usually I measure at night (for no particular reason; that's just how it's worked out) but this time I measured right out of bed. I really don't think I'm losing muscle.

Stick to measuring once a month at the same time of day at the same point in your cycle. Week to week is impossible to tell what the changes in measurements are from.

Thanks! I wasn't really sure how often to measure. I'll try to make a habit of doing it mid-cycle.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi! This has happened to me too the last few days - i've just come on today so definitely water retention, I've gone up inches everywhere and I'm more hungry than just being a bit peckish. Keep with it and it'll go away soon!
  • calibriintx
    Options
    Thanks. I've been on BC for so long and haven't really had a period so I just don't even think about it when it comes to my weight or body changes. I'm now off BC and this is only my 2nd cycle off so I had completely forgotten that I was "due". Good thing someone asked me about it or I might have left the house without "supplies" haha.