Stuck

Options
This post is just a vent. I really could use some encouragement. Last October I joined a gym and started counting calories. I haven't lost any weight.
I exercise at least 5 days a week. For the past 2ish months, this is what I do: Run 2 miles, doing interval running 2 days a week. I also do the 30 Day Shred. At home, when I have a few minutes, I'll do lunges, squats, etc.
I'm vegan, so most of what I eat are plants. I RARELY eat processed foods.
My calorie goal in 1400/day. I eat my earned calories, but there are times I am under.
My frustration in not losing weight is amplified when my husband, who after only 2 weeks on Weight Watchers and 2 weeks of working out, tells me he's down 12 lbs. Argh! Seriously makes me want to give up.

Any bits of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Dreajewkes
    Options
    I have a few suggestions :-)
    1- change your work out routine every 4 weeks- if it doesn't challenge you it doesn't change you
    2- only eat back half or none of your exercise calories
    3- don't give up! You are worth it and you deserve to succeed in your goals
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a few suggestions :-)
    1- change your work out routine every 4 weeks- if it doesn't challenge you it doesn't change
    2- only eat back half or none of your exercise
    3- don't give up! You are worth it and you deserve to succeed in your

Thank you! This has only been my routine since beginning of December. I definitely still feel challenged. That's why I just don't understand. Plus, I went from NEVER having worked out in my life, to working out most days of the week.
  • Beachtreasures
    Beachtreasures Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I would suggest not completing the same exercise routine. Also, I would try not eating all of your calories back and try to stay close to your goal, maybe switch your meals up, ie: dinner for lunch, etc. If you have thyroid issues and/or food allergies this can also have an impact on your weight loss. Check sugar and fructose in your foods. You foods may be high in hidden sugars and you don’t know it. Finally, drink lots of water to flush out your system.
    Good luck!
  • Christy6191
    Christy6191 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dont give up! Do you eat your exercise calories back? The only reason I ask is because, if you aren't, maybe you aren't eating enough to compensate for your workouts. Do you know your BMR? That is basically the amount of calories that you would burn if you just sat all day and didn't do anything. You shouldn't eat below your bmr. Maybe you aren't eating enough? Sounds crazy, I know, but it happens a lot. I definitely am no expert but I have 'seen' so many instances where people aren't eating enough, then increase their calories to compensate for workouts, etc, and then they start to lose.
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Dont give up! Do you eat your exercise calories back? The only reason I ask is because, if you aren't, maybe you aren't eating enough to compensate for your workouts. Do you know your BMR? That is basically the amount of calories that you would burn if you just sat all day and didn't do anything. You shouldn't eat below your bmr. Maybe you aren't eating enough? Sounds crazy, I know, but it happens a lot. I definitely am no expert but I have 'seen' so many instances where people aren't eating enough, then increase their calories to compensate for workouts, etc, and then they start to lose.

I do eat my exercise calories back. I don't know my BMR. Do you know how I can figure that out?
  • Christy6191
    Christy6191 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I do eat my exercise calories back. I don't know my BMR. Do you know how I can figure that out?
    If you go up and click on apps, you will see 'bmr' in the same toolbar area as tickers and badges.
  • PinkRhythm428
    PinkRhythm428 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Keep going, because it is worth it!

Have you noticed a difference in your strength? If so, it is very likely you have gained muscle, which weighs more than fat, so that may be the reason the scale isn't moving.

A suggestion: vary your routine and do not stick to a set schedule. Your muscles will become used to your schedule and will stop improving at the rate they currently are if you do the same thing constantly. I would suggest at least a week's worth of various exercise routines and mix up the order. I'm doing the Supreme 90 Day workout thing and that's what it does. It has 10 DVDs you do in a random order. Maybe running one day and then doing strength training focusing on one or two sections of your body the next day, just to keep your body improving.

As far as your diet goes, you're doing better than I am.

Don't always trust the scale. The numbers are not the only thing that matters. I don't own a scale at all, but I did use my mom's the other day. I have actually gained a pound since I started working out, but I can see and feel different areas that have had some amount of improvement. Just keep going and keep experimenting until you find what works for you! The greatest things in life take effort, so keep pushing though.
  • froglady7311
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to your husband..men loose weight more quickly and obviously easier, damn them! Your journey is yours alone and should not be diminished by others success or failure. It is extra hard when you are struggling so remember you are making a life long change and one day at a time is the only way to get there. Pick today and move forward not beating yourself up about the "bad" day(s) you had recently. The only reason to look behind you is to see how far you have come!
  • markandel
    Options
    Hi I'm Mark 55 yrs and alot of health issues. I started MFP 2 1/2 weeks. The first 2 weeks I lost 6 lbs. Great! Then gained 3 ??? Lost 1 more. I think I will stop weighing in. I exercise every other day. Have COPD and hard to breathe. Sciatica nerve starts to hurt 9 minites into walking a treadmill. I help w/vacuuming and household chores for my wife. I feel stuck-was hoping by Friday I would have lost 9 lbs total for 3 weeks. Eat around 1200 cal a day. That is the easy part for me. My wife plans the meals. Drink 8 cups water/day. My goal is 30 lbs I started at 257-today 254. Need some ideas to get this weight gone!!
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Mark 55 yrs and alot of health issues. I started MFP 2 1/2 weeks. The first 2 weeks I lost 6 lbs. Great! Then gained 3 ??? Lost 1 more. I think I will stop weighing in. I exercise every other day. Have COPD and hard to breathe. Sciatica nerve starts to hurt 9 minites into walking a treadmill. I help w/vacuuming and household chores for my wife. I feel stuck-was hoping by Friday I would have lost 9 lbs total for 3 weeks. Eat around 1200 cal a day. That is the easy part for me. My wife plans the meals. Drink 8 cups water/day. My goal is 30 lbs I started at 257-today 254. Need some ideas to get this weight gone!!

are you tracking your sodium intake? this can have an effect on your weight loss or gain, also i honestly dont no anything about your medical conditions so this bit of info may be completely useless to you but......... can you sit comfortably? if so there are some great armchair workouts that you could possibly do im sure if you did a youtube search there will be something on there to give you ideas
    good luck x
  • rougecrayon
    Options
    Check this out fro gret motivation!
    http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/39609375456/eatclean-getfit-is-the-number-on-the-scales

It's a girl who you can see got results, and her weight went up, then down, and hardly changed...

For progress, I look at my measurments. Bust, Waist, Hips
  • unskinnybop1
    unskinnybop1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I actually find you inspirational so dont feel down! im a uni student who is to used to doing nothing. I eat my reccomended calorie intake which dosnt have much veggies in it normally as they are much more expensive. I find it difficult to exercise as I am never motivated to do so because I havnt found a form I like. Point is you work hardand thats inspirational.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    First, don't set your measure of success on what others can accomplish. Everyone is different.

Secondly, counting calories is just part of the equation. You should also be paying attention to the quality of food....I know you know this because Vegan's are usually very meticulous about the food they eat. What I'm talking about is the fat, fiber, protein and sodium content of the foods....

I log my food on MFP (MyFitnessPal) so I can see what the "quality" of my food intake is (which still needs work, admittedly), then I take that info and convert it to WW (weight watchers) points. The more fiber and protein, and the lesser of carbs/fats, the better.

You could also be putting on muscle which weighs more than fat.

Most importantly, sometimes the scale isn't the best measure of success. Sometimes it's the way you feel, the way your clothes fit, etc.

FOr what it's worth....
  • Beverly70x7
    Options
    i understand,, I only want to loose 8 pounds,, but i keep getting stuck and not looseing the other 5.. I am starting today, to not eat after 5 pm,, and all my calories before than. I am also going to ask God to help me.. and switch up my food, by not eating the same thing all the time..
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people don't lose weight but shed inches. Me being one of them. I have given up on the scale. Have you taken measurements?? They are much more accurate than the scale.
  • emmpamp
    Options
    I seem to be stuck too and its driving mad! I get to ten stone or just under and can't shift any more. Thought I would try this and have only been doing it about a week so its early days yet but any advise would be gratefully recieved!!! I feel like I'm eating more than usual and my exercise leaves me under my calorie goal so I have been eating to regain them, maybe I shouldn't use them all back up again?