New Scale VS Old Scale

Options
I have had my scale for many years. I thought it would probably be a good idea to get a new one. I was interested in trying out one that showed weight loss in numbers smaller than even numbers and .5. I also thought it would be cool to have one that read % of hydration and body fat. So I bought a new scale over the weekend. This morning (Monday) is my normal day to weigh-in. I weigh myself on my old scale. .5 down YAY! I get on the new scale and it tells me I weigh 3 lbs heavier than my old scale. So I am now in a state of happiness and set-back all at once. My mind starts reeling....okay is my old scale that off, I have to test to make sure the scale is correct. Tonite I plan to weigh my 10 lb kettle bell on both scales to see what comes of this. Has anyone else had any issues like this. Advise please? I suppose I have an extra 3 lbs to lose but I am in denial about it. How do I handle this on MFP? By changing my starting weight and then logging my new weight today so it still shows the same amount of weight loss as before??

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    This happened to me and I am still using old scale. Will switch when I hit first mini goal.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Wait until you test them to change anything. Your new one could be off. If your old one is wrong, I would recommend exactly what you said. Adjust your start weight. If your old one was off, you've still lost the same amount weight.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    This is very timely because I weighed myself this morning and it seemed so "off" I weighed again. I kept weighing and got different weights each time. I finally took the answer I got most often and plugged that into my MFP weigh-in. It's frustrating and I guess I'm buying a new scale soon. That's a really good idea about the kettle bell. I actually have a 10-pounder too and will weigh it later. I would do as you suggested and change your start weight so that your progress is accurate because that's how you judge your success, by weight lost. And, you have lost weight you just (maybe) didn't know your real starting point. And be grateful it's only 3 pounds and not 30! And, now that you say that, I guess when I get a new scale I'll have to do do the same thing.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon for scales to be off from one another. It's why people are advised to weigh on the same scale and it can be demotivating when you get a new one and it's higher. But, that doesn't mean that you've gained weight, obviously, so don't feel it is a set-back, because it isn't. If you had the new scale from the start, you probably would have weighed 3 pounds higher to begin with.

I would just adjust my starting weight and each weigh in up by 3 and go from there.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I have had my scale for many years. I thought it would probably be a good idea to get a new one. I was interested in trying out one that showed weight loss in numbers smaller than even numbers and .5. I also thought it would be cool to have one that read % of hydration and body fat. So I bought a new scale over the weekend. This morning (Monday) is my normal day to weigh-in. I weigh myself on my old scale. .5 down YAY! I get on the new scale and it tells me I weigh 3 lbs heavier than my old scale. So I am now in a state of happiness and set-back all at once. My mind starts reeling....okay is my old scale that off, I have to test to make sure the scale is correct. Tonite I plan to weigh my 10 lb kettle bell on both scales to see what comes of this. Has anyone else had any issues like this. Advise please? I suppose I have an extra 3 lbs to lose but I am in denial about it. How do I handle this on MFP? By changing my starting weight and then logging my new weight today so it still shows the same amount of weight loss as before??

I had a similar issue after the Xmas. Of course I gained over the holidays due to the dinners. :grumble: My old scale said I had only gained under a pound (can't remember the exact amount) and the new one said I had gained somwhere between one and two pounds (again I can't remember the exact amount). I just recorded the new amount in MFP from the new scale since I would be using it from here on out. It sucks, I was a little dissapointed, but what can ya do? I didn't even think to test to see which one was more accurate. I would assume the one I just spent an arm and a leg on (exagerating, however, I did spend more on the scale then I think one should spend on a scale) would be more accurate since it can program my sats in it and spit a whole lot more info than just my weight out, unlike my old one from Wally-world. Now I am curious, I will be placing a weight on that sucker tonight!

Editted to add: I would have went back and added the difference to all my other weigh-ins because I am weird like that.. But I have WAY WAY WAY to many weigh-ins to do that... If I didn't have as many weigh-ins I would mostly likely go in and adjust those including the starting weigh-in. However, when I weighed in with the new scale, I just used that number and have been using the new scale weigh-in since...
  • JulieB_MN
    JulieB_MN Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I had that same thing happen. I used my old scale to start in early Aug. then joined a gym and started using their scale and a new one at home in Nov. My old one weighed me 7 pounds lighter then the old one:( So I changed my starting weight and all the weigh ins from Aug until I used the new scale so that my progress still shows my accurate losses. I finally go over the fact that I was 7 pounds heavier. Oh well:) I am down 50 pounds total so far and that makes me very happy! I do like the new scale much better as it weighs like you said the .5 or whatever.
  • amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I got a new scale on the weekend and had the exact same thing happen - 3 pounds heavier on the new one... or there about - it doesn't weigh me the same every time either. I was frustrated when I first saw it as well but I just decided to go with what it says and not worry about it. I know I'm working hard and losing weight because my clothes tell me so and that's what's most important to me.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Meh, it's just a number. When you get close to your goal weight, those 3lbs are going to matter a lot less than how you look and feel. Set your ticker to whatever scale you decide to go with, and keep track of pounds lost rather than actual weight. But really, focus on BF% and inches, those matter a lot more.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Had the same thing happen when my old scale broke.. I said I was like 5lbs heavier.. I adjusted my weight to the new one and went on from there.. Good thing is now my scale matches the doctors scale.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Your progress is still the same, so that's good. :) When I switched scales, I realized the new one was consistently two pounds heavier than my old one. I weighed on both of them for two weeks to verify this, and they were always different by two pounds. I used a 10-lb weight to check both of them, and the new one is more accurate. The new one also matches the digital scale at my doctor's office.

Instead of adjusting every single weight loss ticker and mini-goal I have, I simply subtract two pounds from the reading when I weigh myself now. I've still lost 46 pounds, regardless of which scale I use.

Eventually, I'm going to have to suck it up and change all of my tickers and stuff since, as I get down into the 200s and closer to goal weight, that number is going to have a much larger effect on my BMI, body fat %, and the calories I can eat.
  • mommiejohnsonof6
    mommiejohnsonof6 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Im going through the same thing i bought a new scale over the weekend and its giving me like 3 pounds more too. but i also just started 30 day shred so i am using weights a little .Im on level 2 so that could also be the cause of my gain so I am doing a little reevaluating and see what will happen in a little while but I would deff weight the kettle bell and see what happens for you. My old scale broke so Im stuck with the new one .
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have 2 digital scales...both gave me several different numbers each time I stepped on them..up to 4 pounds difference !!! very frustrating. I don't compare the 2 scales..I bought the second one because the first one wouldn't give me consistent numbers , so bought another and it does the same thing.
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good idea to test your scale first. Second it adjust your start weight post testing.

Only thing I would suggest is placement. I have a great scale but when I place it on laminated floors or carpets it goes wonky. I always weigh myself in the same place in my bathroom. Tiles and hardwood are far more accurate so I suggest comparing both scales on the same spot on your floor before making any changes.

Good luck!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I would test them and then adjust and go with the new scale even if its heavier. Like everyone said, it isn't that you actually gained weight - you haven't.

This happened to me while I was losing and I had to adjust for 3.5 lbs. At the time it really stunk because I was under 200 lbs for the first time in 15 years and I had to go back and say I was 201.....but the new scale measures muscle percentage, water, and fat lbs so I really wanted to be able to use it regularly.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    What a great idea about the weights. I justed my own scale, with two 15 lb weights and I got 30.0 lbs exactly.

It's a weight watchers, but don't know the model. It measured body fat, water, and all that, if anyone's interested in getting one.

Oh, and I'd just put in your new weight and move on. Don't stress about it - and don't make things too complicated for yourself. When you look at your numbers, you know why you had a spike in weight, and that's all that matters.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I buckeled down and spent the money on an Aira scale (fitbit.com). I connectit to both my FitBit and to MFP. I use a free website called TrendWeight (https://trendweight.com/) to get an accurate reading of where I'm currently headed. I love it. I find it very very very motivating to see not just the scale number go down but the lean mass number go up. It's not perfect. The more hydrated you are the lower your body fat reads and you have to weigh in often to get an honest read of where you actually are (the trendweight site does this for you). So there's my personal recommendation. Good luck finding the one that works right for you :flowerforyou:
  • Kristy528
    Kristy528 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. It's nice to know that I am not alone in this one and its a common thing. Soon as I get home this evening I am going to be putting my scale to the test. LOL I have a feeling the new one is probably right though. I know its all the same loss of weight. I was just really looking forward to be under 155 not jump up to 158 :( Good thing I like a challenge. Thanks again everyone!
  • Kristy528
    Kristy528 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Houston we have a problem!!! I put my kettlebell on both scales and they both read correct.....now I am really confused and dont know what to do. I got on both scales and they both read 3 lbs difference for me just like this morning. This is mind boggling...and frustrating. Anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can think is to weigh myself at the gym then go home and weigh myself and see how that pans out.....
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Do you have anything heavier? Sometimes scales can't calibrate with a dumbbell or kettlebell. I ended up having to put nearly 25 pounds of weights on mine before they synced.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Scales are just not that precise. I've put my portable grill on my scale and had it weigh 10 pounds and 13 pounds on back to back tries. I know it didn't gain or lose any weight. So, you just can't be that concerned. Just pick a scale and stick with it for an overall guide of how you're doing.