I've gotta do something.

Options
I'm a 40 year-old wife and mother. I've been unemployed for just over a year now. When I was laid off, a year ago, I had grand plans for everything I was going to do to lose weight. That hasn't happened. This morning I stepped on the scale and was shocked to discover that I now weigh 10 pounds more than I thought I did. In order to get back to my "healthy" weight, I need to lose 100 pounds.
It's not going to be easy. I have a thyroid condition, which has contributed to my weight gain. I also have osteo-arthritis, which will be helped by weight loss, but sometimes makes exercise quite painful. It's annoying since over the last 20 years I've tried Weight Watchers several times, so I know what I SHOULD do, I just haven't done it.
I have a 4 year old daughter. I want to lose weight so that I can be a good example for her AND so that I can be healthy enough to be around for her for a long time.

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello!!! Welcome - I too have been unemployed since last July (sucks! :grumble: )... this is the place to help you lose, I'm aware of many on this site with similar health issues. I suffer from chronic pain and there are at times many days I don't do anything but what I have to do to get through the day. But follow MFP's caloric guidelines and make sure your nutritional setups are so you can track whatever you feel is necessary (I track my sodium, potassium, carbs, fats, proteins and of course the calories). Good luck to you on your journey! :bigsmile:
  • Dobberoo
    Dobberoo Posts: 1
    Options
    I decided to lost weight almost in 2008 after my back surgery and I did! Lost 50 lbs, through stress, not eating, and depression due to a divorce. Sadly, that is not the way to go about it. I ended up putting a lot of the weight back on in the past two years, but now I am dedicated to doing it right and so for Christmas my boyfriend got me a gym membership and I have switched to whole wheat pasta, whole grain everything, and have cut out pretty much all processed junk and excessive amounts of sugar.

I have been doing this for 3 weeks now and have lost 6.6lbs so far.
    I am certain you can find it in you to do the same... it just takes some resolve.

Good luck!
    J.
  • Burtonrah
    Burtonrah Posts: 142
    Options
    Awesome that you are voicing your goals! That's a step in the right direction! I wish you the best in your journey. There are so many supporters on this site!!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I have been unemployed since last May. I gained 10 pounds too.So now I need to loose 40-50. I joined 3 weeks ago and I have been so motivated by this site and all the wonderful people here. Good luck. We can do this.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Trogue--

Welcome!! This website has the potential to change your life. It certainly has mine. Below is something I posted back in December when I reached 50 lbs. lost. Since then, I have had some personal issues and a head injury, so my rate of loss slowed, due to some backsliding in February, but I am back on track now and I KNOW --if you use the tools available here, make good food and exercise choices, and gain support from the threads--it CAN change YOUR life, too!!

Good luck!!!
    This is the first time I have posted on what I call the "Brag Thread." I was waiting 'til I had something to really brag about.

As of today, I have lost 50 lbs., :drinker: :drinker: thanks to the tools and people on MFP.:heart::heart: My eventual goal is to lose 50 more, and may ultimately another 20 after that. That ultimate weight would be from 35 years ago, and not sure if I will need to go that far. I hope to be down the 100 lbs. by my birthday in April, but realistically, it will probably more like July 4th before that happens.

I have battled up and down with my weight all my adult life, and I am living proof that moderation and eating what you want,--just less of it--really works, along with a consistent cardio program (for me it was walking). I will be starting strength training in the new year. It is almost 8 months since I started. I don't feel deprived. I only have one binge trigger food left, and it isn't something that I keep around, so that solves that problem.

This week, I fit into a pair of winter wool slacks that haven't fit me in about 20 years. I am on the borderline to being in a size 14 misses, having started at 24W. Yesterday my doctor reduced my blood pressure medication by 75%!! I hope to be off it completely in another 30 lbs.

I hope my experience will help someone who might be having a down day, or is just starting and feels like the mountain is too high to climb. Remember, if you try, you could succeed, and think of where you could be in 6 months to a year.:drinker: :drinker: . If you don't try, you will be in the same place you are now, or maybe worse, :brokenheart: :cry: depending upon any health issues that could pop up.

Good luck to all who are on this fitness quest with me.:flowerforyou:

And, I forgot to mention above, I inadvertently forgot to take my BP meds on Wed when I visited my doctor, and my BP was low enough in the doctor's office, that I will be talking to my regular practitioner about whether it is time to go completely off meds. I have been on them since 2001, so that makes me very happy!!!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    wow I feel like you just told my story!! I have been unemployed a year this January, I have gained 10 pounds over the year! I am home with my 3 year old and my 7 year old goes to school. I decided I had to do something so I joined here. yesterday was week 3 and I am down 9 pounds already and I feel great!!

you can do this! you have to at least try. start by working on your diet then worry about exersice later.. give this a full month and see what you lose. warm weather is around the corner so you can start walking at your own pace then. plus your 4 year old will love being outside in her stroller.

I totally get what your saying about using this time out of work to lose weight, that is what I thought too but instead I fell into a depression and didn't want to do anything good for myself. I am telling you 3 weeks on here and I am so happy to see results and it's consuming my time in a great postive way!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • nkk2010
    nkk2010 Posts: 2
    Options
    i had to lose 100lbs and felt that i could never lose this amount of weight but i started ww and have lost 43.5 ibs to date. However i have had a set back due to surgery but i am in track again and have also joined myfitnesspal as added support to get me to my goal.

Stay focused and dont be afraid of how much you have to lose, little steps make big things happen. Although you have the medical condition and yes it will be harder but once you lose the weight hopefully your joints will feel less painful, do little but often.

you can do it !
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Trogue,

Since you are new to the site, I wanted to pass on a thread that might interest you, based upon the info you gave in your initial post. They are a pretty supportive group, much like the 50+ women's group that I post on. Here is a link to the site I thought might interest you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/83345-women-40-would-like-to-share-progress?page=17#posts-1187358