Easy Calculator!! BMI, RMR, calories, HR

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I always have an issue with the "Healthy weight range"...

Your Personal Summary
    Height: 6' 8"
    Current Weight: 476
    Current Pant Size: 54
    Weight Goal: Lose 2 pounds per week
    BMI: 52.3
    Waist to Height Ratio: 0.68
    Healthy Body Weight Range: 168 and 227
    Target Heart Rate: 91 to 136
    Target Caloric Intake to Meet Weight Goal: 3460

If I was between 168 and 227 I'd be dead, or well on my way there.

I'm looking more like 270-300 as a reasonable goal.

Why do you believe you'd be dead if you weighed 227 lbs?

Ok, bad choice of words, But I don't think I'd look healthy at that weight.. I was right around 300 as a bouncer in the 90's and I looked good then, just a little on the heavy side with my frame size. being both tall and wide (regardless of weight, getting skinny isn't going to make my shoulders or hips any narrower) is not fun.

Got it. What we think looks good and what is in the healthy range are not always the same thing. Also, it's important to remember that these are just general rules based on population based data. While the recommendations are statistically sound, individual results may vary.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's a reasonable page. And I like that it doesn't talk about "eating back" your exercise calories. (Something I'd never heard of til I began participating in this forum.)
    I'm going to send this to my sister. Thanks.
  • jennajocummings
    Options
    What an awesome tool! Thanks for posting!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I also love this little gadget for figuring calories needed...it is the only one I've ever found that is absolutely what I actually do need.

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Plus, it's just a really cool gadgety thingy.
  • Sunnylittlezipper
    Options
    Thank you! That really helped! :D
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I always have an issue with the "Healthy weight range"...

Your Personal Summary
    Height: 6' 8"
    Current Weight: 476
    Current Pant Size: 54
    Weight Goal: Lose 2 pounds per week
    BMI: 52.3
    Waist to Height Ratio: 0.68
    Healthy Body Weight Range: 168 and 227
    Target Heart Rate: 91 to 136
    Target Caloric Intake to Meet Weight Goal: 3460

If I was between 168 and 227 I'd be dead, or well on my way there.

I'm looking more like 270-300 as a reasonable goal.

Why do you believe you'd be dead if you weighed 227 lbs?

My dad is 6 feet 5 inches and his normal healthy weight is about 220. Under 200 he looks sickly and too thin.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Both the MFP and the WebMD are saying I should eat 1200 to loose weight. I have talked to people on here last few days explaining to me that the MFP is not exactly correct and I need to calculate my BMR and TDEE. So I am looking at more needing like 1450 calories a day according to that. Its odd that the WebMD told me to also eat 1200 though. I am 5"6 and 3/4 basically and right now I weight 155 looking to get about 130-135. According to that WebMD thing if I was 159 I would be overweight. And that my body shape is concerning. I am just starting to get really confused and I want to do this right :(

I know how you feel! I felt the same way when I started this journey! Bcattoes said it spot on. If you put in sedentary and want to have quick results with losing 2 lbs per week, it will pretty much automatically put you at 1200 because that is the lowest anyone would recommend due to many different reasons. Many people recommend doing 1 lb/ week for lasting healthy results. I am also 5'6, and you will want to make sure you are at least doing some exercising, lightly active, and it will put you higher than 1200. Again, I recommend doing lots of research and doing what works for YOU. What works for some, may not work for others. This is just something simple to add to your arsenal of info :) Good luck and dont get discouraged!
  • bpanuco
    Options
    thanks!!
  • Active37
    Active37 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have another quick question should I be putting my exercise level at sedentary or light? I have it currently at sedentary but would vacuuming and cleaning and all that be more light activity? I see some people saying you should set it at light that sedentary is too low even for those that don't exercise.
  • BlairCottier
    Options
    I think it is better to go off BF%: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Well, it's worked out great for me anyway. Different things will work for different people.
    _
    I agree, this is a great tool. However, I know it is also very confusing to most beginners. That is why posted the webmd site, maybe together people will get a better idea. Everyone should definitely read thisalso
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link - this actually gave me similar info that I found elsewhere but I really liked the charts and how it broke it down - especially the heart rate info.
  • ximills
    ximills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think they need to make it more clear to adjust calories based on activity.
  • BlairCottier
    Options
    Thanks for the link - this actually gave me similar info that I found elsewhere but I really liked the charts and how it broke it down - especially the heart rate info.

That's why I liked it too! I am a very visual learner, so it worked great for me!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have another quick question should I be putting my exercise level at sedentary or light? I have it currently at sedentary but would vacuuming and cleaning and all that be more light activity? I see some people saying you should set it at light that sedentary is too low even for those that don't exercise.

Everyday activities like house cleaning are built into 'sedentary'. But sedentary is mostly for those that have a desk job that causes them to sit for most of the day. If you do not have a desk job or sit all day as if you did, then light activity is probably more correct.
  • mommy2maddox
    mommy2maddox Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Here is another place to get some numbers from. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I don't really get TDEE & BMR I guess. I get that BMR is the resting calorie req. TDEE is the same but includes activity into the number. How do i figure out my calories to lose weight from there?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

You have to look at the definition of what the particular site calls "sedentary" (assuming there is a definition). Many people think they are more active than they are. For example, if you're working out five times a week, doing at least 45 minutes of cardio and your heart rate is in the aerobic zone 90% of the session, that's going to be considered "active" or "very active" by most sites.

I'm recovering from an injury, but I recently started walking on a walking treadmill 15 minutes a day, as well as other activity -- sometimes I walk a couple of miles a day, according to my Fitbit. I still use the "Sedentary" classification.. I don't want to overestimate my activity level.
  • summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I really love that site! It didn't give me much information I haven't seen before but it was still interesting to see how they put it in a different way. Thanks for sharing!