Made my doctor's day

Options
CrystalT
CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
I had to go visit my doctor today because my blood pressue has been low. I have hypertension and I've been on meds for it since I was in my early 20s. So the doctor comes in WITHOUT my chart and asks why I was coming in. I explain and he takes my BP, and very quickly says he has my medication too high. Without the chart, he has no idea WHY this is happening so he asks. I told him I've lost 60 lbs. He says "well, that'll do it." I've never seen a doctor so happy. He explains that he only gets to see stuff like this about 5 times a year. He says, "when I get home, my wife is going to ask me how my day was and I'm going to tell her it was one of the best in a long time!" I'm glad I could make his day!! He made mine, too!! I'm not off my BP meds, but he's reducing them by half. I go back in a month to see how it's going. He says he expects that when I reach my goal, he'll be able to take me off my medication all together!!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    That's amazing, good job!!!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yay for you!! That is the best news - glad your doc was so happy :drinker: Keep on truckin' - you'll be off those meds in no time at all!
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    Very well done. Take a bow! (or curtsy)
  • fietsdebbie
    Options
    That's just excellent to hear. We are all making our bodies healthier along with making ourselves and doctors happy. The drug companies maybe be sad though... :)

Great work!
  • bonitabeca
    Options
    Wow, that's awesome! Good job! It'll be great to be "drug-free".
  • freeflower3
    freeflower3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yep, I work in healthcare. So many diseases are preventable and curable with proper lifestyle.

It's easier to take a pill.

GREAT JOB on you taking the challenging, but BETTER road!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    This is Wonderful! Congratulations!!!:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    THAT IS AWESOME!! DEFINITELY GIVES ME HOPE!

That is what I am hoping to hear from my doctor at the end of next month when I go in. I also have High blood pressure and I take meds 2 x day for it but I am starting to notice that my blood pressure is running lower these days and also my heart rate is finally lower too.. My heart rate was always between 110-140 and now it runs between 80-90.

I hope he tells you that you are done with the meds the next time you see him.:flowerforyou:
  • noseovertail
    Options
    Aw, this made me smile. Congrats to you, and your doctor sounds adorable!
  • manders2
    manders2 Posts: 22
    Options
    Amazing!!!
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    Wow! That is wonderful! You're an inspiration, I hope I can do the same! WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    That is great news. Way to Go.

I know how happy you must be. In December, my doctor took me completely off one med, and reduced the other one to half my prior dose when I reached 50 lbs. lost. I was in there a couple of days ago, and saw a different practitioner, and they took my BP. I thought it would be up, since I forgot to take my meds that morning, but it was low enough that I plan to ask my regular GP if I can go ahead and stop them all together when I am down 60 lbs.
  • kingking
    kingking Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh, you give me hope. Back in Nov, my doc added a second med for me...and it was in January that I got motivated to change. I'm down nearly 30lbs but my BP hasn't dropped much yet. My doc says 20 more and I'll see the changes I want.

Grind Grind Grind... I'll get there.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    YAY!!! GREAT JOB!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ashdav2010
    Options
    That's definitely great news, what a way to start the weekend! Kudos to you! :)
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yay! That's awesome! Keep it up! :happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    that is such a great feeling!! my doctor of 25 yrs beamed at me when I lost the weight. Now when I go in and have lost another 1/2 pound he keeps right on smiling!!

Good for you! I am so very proud of your accomplishement!:drinker:
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    That is absolutely spectacular! Congrats :happy: :drinker:
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What a great feeling to go to the Dr. and it makes you feel GOOD about yourself! What great news!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    That is great news. Way to Go.

I know how happy you must be. In December, my doctor took me completely off one med, and reduced the other one to half my prior dose when I reached 50 lbs. lost. I was in there a couple of days ago, and saw a different practitioner, and they took my BP. I thought it would be up, since I forgot to take my meds that morning, but it was low enough that I plan to ask my regular GP if I can go ahead and stop them all together when I am down 60 lbs.

Not to burst your bubble but I just wanted you to know that even if you miss a dose of medicine that prescription medications remail in your system for a while. I am really bad about taking by BP meds on weekends and when I went to the Doctor, he said that its not good to forget but that I still have enough in my system that it won't affect my body too much.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!