Do you record calories from supplements?

Options
2»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Would you record calories from a piece of candy? Of course you would. Calories in are calories in. If you feel they are a waste - stop taking them and work harder to get the nutrients you need from food.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's 135 calories. You ate it. So what you're asking is do people regularly lie to themselves about their intake? The answer is yes, they do. But you don't have to. You can log accurately.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    135 grams of fat is a lot of calories to not count. If you think it's wasted then maybe rethink why you take it in the first place.

I'm going with this answer right here. If it was 3 cals from fish oil, then no. but 135 would get logged
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    Okay so I have always been a bit confused on this! Example my Udo's 369 oil has 135 calories in it. Do you guys record stuff like that? I understand the idea between every calorie should be counted, but it seems weird to me to count the oil. What do you guys do? I feel like it's "wasting" 135 calories on not actual food that is filling.

Yes of course you should record that, it''s 49000 calories a year! IMO you are wasting calories and money, just eat more oily fish, raw nuts and seeds. If you are concerned you are a poor converter of omega-6 LA to anti inflammatory GLA add in some borage oil. Too much omega-6 inhibits conversion of short chain omega-3 ALA to the useable long chain formats DHA and EPA (can be as low as 10% so you need high doses of ALA rich seed oils). You are unlikely to need to supplement omega-6 or omega-9 most of us take plenty in our diets.

ETA looking at your food diary you are rattling with a pile of supplements, yet not actually bothering to eat a decent diet. Eat more real whole foods - fruit, veggies, dairy, nuts, seeds, oily fish, nutritious proteins (chicken, egg whites and cottage cheese are poor), beans and lentils, then SUPPLEMENT with discretion. Would not surprise me at all if your supplements are fighting against one another - you are taking pro inflammatory omega-6s and then an anti inflammatory supplement! Your bone health supplement is far too low in magnesium, so you are setting up an imbalance right there. not sure which multi you are taking but at least one of the New Chapter products is also low in magnesium, and you are doubling up on vitamin D. Disaster zone.

I eat salmon at least two days a week, three times if I have enough to take some for lunch. I started the 369 after a recommendation from my orthopedic surgeon. I am recovering from a knee injury and he believes in taking it straight in the oil form. I have been doing it for 3 weeks, and can already tell a difference. I started logging it a few days ago, and have actually been okay with my daily calorie intake. I never really recorded my supplements because they were only a total of like 3 calories, but when I saw how much was in the 369 I decided I might need to start
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this should go here, and don't mean to hijack or anything, but what about meds? I have three that I have to take on a daily basis, but have no idea how many calories they may hold.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Mine only end up being about 10 calories, just some herbs and multivitamins, some days I count them, some days I don't.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's 135 calories. You ate it. So what you're asking is do people regularly lie to themselves about their intake? The answer is yes, they do. But you don't have to. You can log accurately.

Taso dropping truth bombs. Definitely log them.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Yes, and spices and herbs as well!! I count all of them!