Portion sizes? How much to eat?

Options
Hi all, I'm new to this...I'm having a problem...I'm just not sure how much is the right amount of food to be eating!! I bought a food scale so I could try prepare my meals ahead of time...I'm stuck on my portion size!! lol...any helpful info will be very much appreciated!! Thanks bunches!! :o)

Replies

• Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I had the same questions when I first started. A member on this site shared this with me and I found it very very helpful...

The look of normal portion sizes:

1 oz. meat: size of a matchbox
    3 oz. meat: size of a deck of cards or bar of soap—the recommended portion for a meal
    8 oz. meat: size of a thin paperback book
    3 oz. fish: size of a checkbook
    1 oz. cheese: size of 4 dice
    Medium potato: size of a computer mouse
    2 Tbs. peanut butter: size of a ping pong ball
    1/2 cup pasta: size of a tennis ball
    Average bagel: size of a hockey puck.

The list below explains the size, shape, and/or look of one serving.

medium apple or orange: the size of a tennis ball
    1 cup chopped raw vegetables or fruit: baseball size
    1/4 cup dried fruit (raisins, apricots, mango): a small handful
    lunch-box size container of unsweetened applesauce
    cup of lettuce: four leaves
    chicken stir-fry with 1 cup of mixed broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms (= 2 vegetable servings)
    1/2 cup cooked or canned legumes (beans and peas)
    5-6 baby carrots

From the American Cancer Society Website

Hope this helps!
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    Now reading the post again, I'm not sure what you are asking? I generally eat a huge breakfast... 300-600 calories and just try to have one serving of what I'm eatting. Example. I'm having rice and fish for dinner. I'm eatting 4 oz of talapia and 3/4 cup cooked rice as dinner. (one serving of each item)
  • smsummers
    Options
    I try to eat on a saucer and the portions that fit on the saucer are really about what you should be eating. Just eat 5 times a day thats what I have learned is helping with the metabolism.
  • Bubbiejoe
    Options
    Thank you both very much!! This bit of info sure does help!! I had no clue...lol...I do need to cut back!! I'm eating breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper...5 meals, and lots of water plus exercise...I have been losing weight so far!!